Next Trip Already Planning

james24

Really not that familiar with the road system in Thailand but would it be possible to take a trip to the south say Nakhon Si Thammarat on back roads. Or possibly tour Cambodia. You make me jealous. O well such is life. ( maybe if you had a side car ) but alas tough to convince the wife.

Really not that familiar with the road system in Thailand but would it be possible to take a trip to the south say Nakhon Si Thammarat on back roads. Or possibly tour Cambodia. You make me jealous. O well such is life. ( maybe if you had a side car ) but alas tough to convince the wife.

Personally I wouldn't be planning any road trips down south for some time.

Thanks for the connection "road trips". One thing that always impressed me during floods in Thailand was the people still had smiles on their faces and children seem to be having fun in the water.

Thanks for the connection "road trips". One thing that always impressed me during floods in Thailand was the people still had smiles on their faces and children seem to be having fun in the water.

... and the smiling children out in the floods catching fish with their bare hands too! One of the many great things about Thai people is the way they always find something good out of a situation that most people think is not so good.

lol sidecar would be fun but Im not sure how it would fare on those mountain bends

I was thinkng of the old city perhaps Ayuthhaya or however u spell it, then onto bangers

Any ideas.

I will take that as a tentative no.

Do you have to worry about the floods on the mountain roads? I see on another thread they were talking about floods between here and Bangkok. :(

Edited by jayjay0

lol sidecar would be fun but Im not sure how it would fare on those mountain bends

I was thinkng of the old city perhaps Ayuthhaya or however u spell it, then onto bangers

Any ideas.

I will take that as a tentative no.

Do you have to worry about the floods on the mountain roads? I see on another thread they were talking about floods between here and Bangkok. :(

If you know where the rocks are you can walk on water.:lol:

I would certainly not consider Nakhon Sawan and Phetchabun as being "down south".

I would certainly not consider Nakhon Sawan and Phetchabun as being "down south".

Sorry for the confusion, it should read " Personally I wouldn't be planning any road trips down south of Chiang Mai for some time.

Don't listen to the naysayers but keep your ears to the news a rain coat and boat handy.:lol: Looks like water is going down.. As for Ayutthaya hope on 11 south to Lampang and then pick up 1 south. 1 turns into 32 at Uthai Thani keep going south to Ayutthaya. There may be other routes but this is the quickest and best. At Sing Buri there is a great bird zoo and aquarium to see and at Lop Buri you have to check out the monkees. Check out Tony's Place in Ayutthaya good food. Give your self a few days to see the hisorical park. Well worth the trip.

http://tonyplace-ayutthaya.com/

Edited by gotlost

wicked, am really looking forward to it already,

someone told me that the wild dogs in Ayyuthaya are a bit more unfriendly.. is this true...?

That is true about the dogs particular those on what they call Farang Street where Tony's is located.:whistling:

How about driving the Sky road to Umphang, thats 'interesting'

whoa what is that..?

Tell me more...!!

Drive to Mae Sot take the left turn at the roundabout then its about 100km following a ridgeback mountain narrow road to Umphang. One road in, one road out. Dont know if they are connected yet but they used to have a truck mounted generator for their power source hence no air cons in town. From there you can get to Te Lor su (pardon the spelling) the largest waterfall in southeast Asia. Might be a bid dodgy at the moment mind. When it gets drier you can take a raft for a pleasant 3 hour drift down the river then a 4x4 to a camp ground then 1km to the waterfall. This time of year even a prepared 4x4 wont make it. If you stop in the school in Umphang just past the airstrip they will, for a small donation to the school, give you a certificate for driving the sky road. It is an interesting drive but the road can be blocked by debris at times. There are no filling stations to speak of so if you want decent fuel in your tank fill up at Mae Sot..

That looks like an idea.

I guess its a drive down the border. Why do they call it the sky run though...?

I guess cos you are drive along the top of a ridge back mountain a fair bit of the way with a big drop on both sides at times.