04 Vigo Axle In Deep Water ?

Velocette

Last updated 28-6-2009

What's Bad

RHD UK version initially had 102bhp 2.5 D-4D with 260Nm torque (just 200Nm on two wheel drive version). Also only 5-speed manual (no auto).

Toyota warned that independent Thai imports may not have standard ABS, only have drivers airbag on top of the range models, do not have passenger airbags, seatbelts do not have pretensioners, not child locks on rear doors of double cab, no rear centre headrest, softer suspension on double cabs, less anti corrosion protection.

Breather tube for rear axle only vents on axle so water can get in when deep wading.

What to Watch Out For

Seems to be a serious wet weather problem in Thailand (where most are made and huge numbers sold). Maybe be the breather tube on the rear axle.

Above seen online, Honest John.co.uk, wondered what the fix might be ?

thai spec Vigo 4x4 can wade in 70 cm water without any extras installed

top model G Thai has childlock reardoors, 2x airbags, ABS, VSC, EBD, 17" mags, leather, powerseat, you name it. Anticorrosion needs to be done on any new vehicle to be used offroad, within 1 year from purchase.

No rear center headrest is correct, also no heater/defroster, but most exporters install it here. Just get a South African ( UK spec made in SA) rearseat if you want center headrest:)

l think Toyota had already come on from that in Thailand because they have got to get it right here, this is truck country.

l had a new back axle fitted to mine 05 vigo couldn't see no vents there was no evidents of water !!!

Before that l have been in deep water many times and a lot of other unsavoury places.

Having had four (4) Toyota Land Cruisers, spanning about 18 years, I have been through many 'deep water' situations.

Only once did I have to drain the differentials & refill them with oil (I was stuck for a long time).

Generally, if you pass through deep water without getting stuck, you have nothing to worry about.

It is, however, a good idea to 'spin' (with your fingers) the 'breathers' of both front &/or rear axles, to ensure that they are not clogged.

the other day on the way back from Pattaya I had a bow wave up to the top of the bonnet that also came up on the glass of the front windows ~ done that many times in a Land Rover and Rangie but never before in a Toyota but it did handle the water very well it seems and did not float away either

Oh its a 4 wheel drive 4 door Vigo auto

the other day on the way back from Pattaya I had a bow wave up to the top of the bonnet that also came up on the glass of the front windows ~ done that many times in a Land Rover and Rangie but never before in a Toyota but it did handle the water very well it seems and did not float away either

Wow, you sound very matter of fact about it ! . . . . .I can only think that your constantly fording rivers and lakes, you sound like those butch off roaders that the 'Fast Show' did a sketch on. They were called ' The Offroaders " their catch phrase was "It's Gripped, It's Sorted, Lets Off Road ! " I thought they were very funny.

But to be serious, water at that height can be very dangerous, as I'm sure your aware, if it has enough momentum it can easily throw a pick up around, and push it into a raging river.

I'm curious as to whether or not the water actually managed to get past your door seals and into the cab. Either way, fascinating to hear your account of the bow wave, and how you didn't float away, just don't think I'd be so cool about it .:o

Wow, you sound very matter of fact about it ! . . . . .I can only think that your constantly fording rivers and lakes, you sound like those butch off roaders that the 'Fast Show' did a sketch on. They were called ' The Offroaders " their catch phrase was "It's Gripped, It's Sorted, Lets Off Road ! " I thought they were very funny.

But to be serious, water at that height can be very dangerous, as I'm sure your aware, if it has enough momentum it can easily throw a pick up around, and push it into a raging river.

I'm curious as to whether or not the water actually managed to get past your door seals and into the cab. Either way, fascinating to hear your account of the bow wave, and how you didn't float away, just don't think I'd be so cool about it .:o

You are right I am used to off roading but only with Land Rover products mainly in conjunction with the emergency services in UK when places that they want to get to are inaccessible by normal vehicles for many years I was a member of the Emergency Planning Team and was called out a few times by the various emergency services including the coast guard for beach work and that is scary at night., in the winter when roads were blocked by snow the group I was in used to be used by the ambulance service for taking patients for dialasis to hospitals and the police bless em we were a quick responce for pulling cars off roads even lorries we could shift with a couple of good trucks and winches.

But i digress the water I came across was slow flowing so no chance of being washed away but it did take a bit of concentration hence no photos of that one and I would think about 3ft deep at its deepest but the bow wave goes a lot higher than the depth of the water when moving through it obviously, the door seals did hold failry well and I didnt get my feet wet but there was a little water inside at the back but hey ho in Thailand its warm and dries fairly quick anyway, not quite like going on salt marshes in UK and getting stuck at low tide looking for a kid ~ another story