Booking Hotel Over Internet

sezzo

I have a Bangkok bank "Visa Electron" debit card which I understood could be used to pay for purchases over the internet or where a credit card, in particular, a visa card is asked for.

I am trying to book a hotel room over the internet on one of the many accomodation booking services and have been unable to due to the fact that they only acce[t credit cards. As there is a sizeable discount using the internet booking service, I really would like to use this facility without the need to get a credit card. (Better to use my money than pay to use the banks).

Does anyone out there know of a booking service on the internet that takes debit cards.

Thanks in advance

I have a Bangkok bank "Visa Electron" debit card which I understood could be used to pay for purchases over the internet or where a credit card, in particular, a visa card is asked for.

I am trying to book a hotel room over the internet on one of the many accomodation booking services and have been unable to due to the fact that they only acce[t credit cards.  As there is a sizeable discount using the internet booking service, I really would like to use this facility without the need to get a credit card.  (Better to use my money than pay to use the banks).

Does anyone out there know of a booking service on the internet that takes debit cards.

Thanks in advance

Hi Sezzo........................unfortunately you cannot use Electron over the internet. In fact my Kasikorn Electron has not even got my name on it. Only 'Privileged Customer' In fact everyone in the pub that has a card has the same name. That's Thai security for you. If you lost your card then anyone can use it in a shop. ( As long as their I.D. card says 'privileged customer') But once again, for the ten thousandth time this year we say T.I.T.

I think you'll find www.hostelworld.com takes debit cards for some hotels/hostels on their site. They have mostly guesthouse/hostels but also many hotels in bigger cities like Bangkok. Not sure how the discounts compare to other sites though.

They all take a proper debit card AFAIK but what you get here in Thailand are not normal debit cards but "Electron" versions which do not seem to be accepted at other than point of sale type situations. The only time a real credit card is required that I have found is most car rentals - so that they can block funds/credit for an extended period.

I am trying to book a hotel room over the internet on one of the many accomodation booking services and have been unable to due to the fact that they only acce[t credit cards.  As there is a sizeable discount using the internet booking service, I really would like to use this facility without the need to get a credit card.  (Better to use my money than pay to use the banks).

Thanks in advance

To provide a direct answer, "No." No debit cards.

But I responded to address the credit card issue - why would you pay to use a credit card? There are plenty of cards (at least for americans) that have no associated fees, especially those provided by one's own bank.

Payment is as simple as transferring money from checking -> visa, via the web interface.

So unless one is foolish enough to leave a balance on the card for more than 30 days, one never pays *anything* for using a credit card.

(this ignores any 3% surcharge that the provider may tack on for accepting cards - but then, the premise of the original post was that web rates (via credit card) were cheaper)

Thanks in advance

To provide a direct answer, "No." No debit cards.

But I responded to address the credit card issue - why would you pay to use a credit card? There are plenty of cards (at least for americans) that have no associated fees, especially those provided by one's own bank.

Payment is as simple as transferring money from checking -> visa, via the web interface.

So unless one is foolish enough to leave a balance on the card for more than 30 days, one never pays *anything* for using a credit card.

(this ignores any 3% surcharge that the provider may tack on for accepting cards - but then, the premise of the original post was that web rates (via credit card) were cheaper)

It also ignores that most US based cards now seem to charge a foreign use fee of about 3% themselves.

What is cheaper, at least in Thailand, is advance reservations using some web based hotel reservation services. Most of the better services also provide alternative to credit card (such as bank transfer) and other only require one day advance payment (if anything). It pays to shop around.

Thanks in advance

Unfortunately, you are not able to use your Visa Electron card for such transactions. Only a few banks in the world issue Visa Electron cards that are enabled for internet/telephone transactions. (they work like normal Visa cards - so you dont have to look for Visa Electron sign on websites)

For your hotel reservation you have to use an "embossed" card (such as Visa [classic], Mastercard [but not Electronic] or American Express etc etc) and it doesn't matter if it's a debit or a credit card - as long as it's embossed. You cannot use "flat" cards such as Visa Electron, Maestro or MAstercard Electronic for "remote transactions" (unless it's not one of those special Visa Electron cards which i mentioned above)

If you don't want to get an embossed card, you should get yourself then a virtual card - many banks offer such service - you get a special account and you get a card number (most often number from Visa system). And then if you want to make a transaction over the internet/telephone/mail, you tell them (the shop/hotel) you have a visa card and you tell them that number... and it works like a normal (embossed) card, but you dont get the card physically to your hands - and cannot use this at normal shops etc.... all you get is a piece of plastic with that number on it (and visa logo) and a document that says that this belongs to you etc etc etc

this is what it looks like: virtual visa card

Edited by ThePolishKid