Transfer Thb From One Province To Another

I read somewhere recently where banks are going to allow something like 5 free transfers of funds if you withdraw or deposit money into a bank branch that is not in your province. Currently, for example, when I withdrawal money from a branch of a bank I have in Samui while in Chiang Mai, I am charged a fee (not an ATM, I'm talking an intra-bank charge). I am now living in CM and want to transfer all of my money from Samui to my CM accounts. However, I have quite a bit of money in the Samui accounts and the transaction fees will add up to a substantial amount.

Anyway, does anyone know of these "free" trans-province transactions that are free? That way i could transfer my Samui money to CM transfer free.

Any info?

Thanks,

Luke

I'm not sure about this. But when I want to wirhdraw money froom my bank in chiang mai, but my bank book and bank is in Lumphoon, they charge only a 20 baht withdrawal fee. I believe the same holds true for an ATM withdrawal. SO, maybe try going to your bank here in chiang mai with your passbook and just say I want to withdraw certain amount of funds, physical take control of the money, then deposit at a later time. Just see what they will charge you. Sometimes you have to play games with them and not let yourself get ripped off. Also, it pays to make contact/friends with the bank manager, they can do wonders if you get on their good side. And as you say, a significant amount, they will bend over backwards to accept your monies. If you have account with Bangkok Bank or SCB, my wife has "very good" contacts", we've been banking with them for over 30 yrs.

Cheers

The bank fee changes announced for regular consumers are not going to be implemented until 2011 sometime. See if a cashier check does what you need.

But wouldn't I have to physically be at that branch in Samui to get the cashier's check? It's like 8k return from CM to Samui...not worth it.