Lard

murni

Makro, Yok, Kasam, BakerMart, maybe Rimping

When I asked at Rimping ( Meechok) they had'nt a clue what it was and the girl behind the Butter is Better counter said she'd never heard of it and her husband is English.

Nice to know it is available. Makes good pastry mixed with butter.

In the markets you can get rendered pork fat which drips down from the various cooked pork meats for sale. but i don't know if that would suit your purposes. i do have a recipe for making lard which I could PM you if you like.

you may know this already but the lard commonly available in the USA (and maybe in Britain) is unnaturally firm because it has been hydrogenated. So if you make your own it might be liquid or slushy at room temperature particularly if your room is located in Thailand.

You can get beef lard at NFP (Northern Farm Products) on Huay Gaew road just back a little from the Phucome Hotel. For general "dripping" I render my own pork fat.

Rendered beef fat isn't lard. It's tallow. And this is not just an academic distinction. The flavors and other salient characteristics of the two are very distinct. In most cases, one can't be substuted for the other.

You can get beef lard at NFP (Northern Farm Products) on Huay Gaew road just back a little from the Phucome Hotel. For general "dripping" I render my own pork fat.

Rendered beef fat isn't lard. It's tallow. And this is not just an academic distinction. The flavors and other salient characteristics of the two are very distinct. In most cases, one can't be substuted for the other.

Who on earth mentioned rendered beef fat. I said lard and I meant lard. I have been cooking with lard for well over fifty years, and actually do know what it is. All I said that for "dripping" I render my own.

Who on earth mentioned rendered beef fat. I said lard and I meant lard. I have been cooking with lard for well over fifty years, and actually do know what it is. All I said that for "dripping" I render my own.

My wife's sister is staying. At 90kgs she's carrying a lot of lard. Seriously I am sure I saw some in Rimping once .....

I'm confused. You use the term "beef lard" which Mr. Butter is Better tells you is incorrect because lard is pork fat not beef fat. So I don't see why you get so hot under the collar when your error is pointed out. You can't get beef lard anywhere ; it doesn't exist.

In the markets you can get rendered pork fat which drips down from the various cooked pork meats for sale. but i don't know if that would suit your purposes. i do have a recipe for making lard which I could PM you if you like.

you may know this already but the lard commonly available in the USA (and maybe in Britain) is unnaturally firm because it has been hydrogenated. So if you make your own it might be liquid or slushy at room temperature particularly if your room is located in Thailand.

Its readily available in Britain but I'd no idea it was hydrogenated and may contain those toxins - trans fats. I thought it was the pure and simple product of a pig,as butter is of the cow.

"Most commercial lard is stabilized, often through hydrogenation, which means that it can contain harmful trans fats. Plain fresh lard is actually not more harmful than fats such as butter, although heavily processed lard may contain harmful compounds." Oh dear.angry.gif

On the inside of Hwy 11 Super Highway after Makro but before Index/Carrefour (i.e., opposite of hwy from them and between them) is a cooking/baking wholesale type place called Yoko or York (?), big English letters, yellow as I remember. It is a single store right on the frontage road with a parking lot off the road.

This was the only description I had for the place and I found it. So I feel confident you could find it, also.

It sells anything and everything for baking plus a lot of other cooking staples and hardware (pans, mixers, bulk frosting/icing). I am pretty sure I saw lard there, but wasn't looking for it so that is just a fleeting impression. But most likely they do carry it as it is a place professional cooks would go. Great stuff, all kinds of stuff; sort of a Makro for cooks and bakers.

Edited by noise

i do have a recipe for making lard which I could PM you if you like.

You say you've never found lard in Chiang Mai, Fishenough says it is available in Makro, Kasem,Yok and Bakermart, Noise thinks its on the shelf at Yok but isn't sure, Maejo Man informs us that he's been cooking with lard for over fifty years that he does know what it is but omits to tell us where he gets it from though he adds mysteriously that something he doesn't use, called "beef lard", is sold at NFProducts. And now pschef, contradicting Fishenough, informs us its not sold in Makro or Yok ! unsure.gif

It looks as though us lard lovers will be reduced to making our own so why can't you share the recipe? And will it be suitable for making pastry? Not if its liquid or slushy.huh.gif And Maejo Man will be the sole cook in Chiang Mai using lard. I wonder how the OP is getting on with his lardy cakes.

Edited by Asmerom

Can someone tell me exactly where Northern Farm Products is on Huay Kaew? I want beef tallow (assuming that's what the guy meant by beef lard). Thanks for any help

page 149 in The Book of What Where and How says 20/11 and there is a map reference too!

Can someone tell me exactly where Northern Farm Products is on Huay Kaew? I want beef tallow (assuming that's what the guy meant by beef lard). Thanks for any help

In the likely event you don't have the "Book" it may help to know that going West, towards the mountains out of Chiang Mai on the Huay Keaw Road you go over the crossing with the No 11 Ring Road, past a College over on the right, and its before The Chiang Mai Hill Hotel on your left. Its in a row of small shops, maybe the first. If you get to the 121 Canal Road, you've gone too far. It's maybe less than half a km. past the No 11 junction.

Edited by Asmerom

• 1 month later...

I use Yok, Macro, Rimping, all those afore mentioned shops, none of them stock lard, the only suggestion is to make your own. You could use shortening, but it’s made with Vegetable oils

Resurrecting an old one here, but has anyone been able to track down lard in Chiang Mai. Desparate to make some pork pies and it can't be done with any alternative. Also, dried peas (to make mushy peas) availability??? I've seen split green peas, but think they might be some kind of lentil. If anyone could shed any light on either topic I will be grateful.

I use Yok, Macro, Rimping, all those afore mentioned shops, none of them stock lard, the only suggestion is to make your own. You could use shortening, but it's made with Vegetable oils

Resurrecting an old one here, but has anyone been able to track down lard in Chiang Mai. Desparate to make some pork pies and it can't be done with any alternative. Also, dried peas (to make mushy peas) availability??? I've seen split green peas, but think they might be some kind of lentil. If anyone could shed any light on either topic I will be grateful.

I make my own. Buy, say, 2 kilos of fatback from Makro or wherever. Trim off as much of the residual meat as you can. Put it in a heavy pot along with a cup of water. Heat it up over low heat. You want the melted fat to just simmer. Eventually, you end up with melted fat and cracklings. Pour off the fat. It will be brown. Mix it up with some fresh water and boil it up again. The brown particles should fall into the water. Chill the mixture in the refrigerator and skim the fat off top. It should be white.This is lard. It won't be exactly like the lard you buy in supermarkets. As noted earlier, that stuff has been hydrogenated to give it a higher melting point. But I've used it to make a few pie crusts and it works great.

I make my own. Buy, say, 2 kilos of fatback from Makro or wherever. Trim off as much of the residual meat as you can. Put it in a heavy pot along with a cup of water. Heat it up over low heat. You want the melted fat to just simmer. Eventually, you end up with melted fat and cracklings. Pour off the fat. It will be brown. Mix it up with some fresh water and boil it up again. The brown particles should fall into the water. Chill the mixture in the refrigerator and skim the fat off top. It should be white.This is lard. It won't be exactly like the lard you buy in supermarkets. As noted earlier, that stuff has been hydrogenated to give it a higher melting point. But I've used it to make a few pie crusts and it works great.

I hadn't even considered making my own, but I've rendered beef fat to make dripping, so I'm going to give it a go. Our local bakery has written something in Thai for me and told me to ask at the market which would be easier, but making my own would be more interesting. Thanks for that, really appreciated.

When I asked at Rimping ( Meechok) they had'nt a clue what it was and the girl behind the Butter is Better counter said she'd never heard of it and her husband is English.

I thought people stopped using it about 60 yrs ago when heart desease became a major problem.

I thought people stopped using it about 60 yrs ago when heart desease became a major problem.

Oh dear, No, No.. ...It makes the best melt-in-the-mouth shortcust pastry though, of course, some disagree.

"Lard was popular as a cheaper alternative to butter, especially during World War II, as well as being used for baking, until health concerns caused it to become less widely used. However, it has less saturated fat and cholesterol than butter!

These comments come from Delia Smith online at ......http://www.deliaonli...ust-pastry.html

"After years of cooking and side-by-side tests and tastings my opinion is that, in most cases, the very best flavour and texture I've obtained with shortcrust pastry is when equal quantities of lard and butter are used"

SHORTCRUST PASTRY BY OUR BRITISH SAINTLY DELIA.

"Not fashionable, not clever, not over-rich, but for my money the humble shortcrust is one of the best pastries of all"

Ingredients

4 oz (110 g) plain flour

pinch of salt

1 oz (25 g) softened lard

1 oz (25 g) softened butter

smile.gif