Partially Installed Software

Sakeopete

One of my kids tried installing some software but it wasn't successful. Now every time he starts the computer it keeps trying to complete the installation by asking for the second disc which we don't have. Is there a way I can get it to stop trying to install the software without having to reformat the computer?

Have you tried running the native uninstaller for that program? It should be in the folder with the install files.

Also, there are several registry cleaners and uninstallers that will help remove it. If all else fails, you can look in your system boot information and find what program is starting when you boot that is the offender and remove it.

One of my favorites is Revo Uninstaller. It is free.

If you’re running Windows and have system restore activated.

Go back to a restore point just previous of the failed installation of the program.

Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore

If the program doesn't have his own uninstalling option, try to go in the control panel and see in the "add/remove programs" if you can see it on that list, if yes then just remove it, i also usually delete by myself the whole new folder were the unwanted program was contained (if it doesn't delete during the other uninstallations processes) or you can also use ad-hoc uninstal softwares (i use TuneUp which also do many other things), good luck :)

If not under the software list installed... only way to rid yourself of it is to delete the directory... then search the registry for entries concerning said software then delete them. Then reboot. Word of caution be careful in the registry because if you delete a key you shouldn't you may well have fked up your computer. ;)

If not under the software list installed... only way to rid yourself of it is to delete the directory... then search the registry for entries concerning said software then delete them. Then reboot. Word of caution be careful in the registry because if you delete a key you shouldn't you may well have fked up your computer. ;)

That is not the only option, just the most tedious. There are many programs for free that will hunt out and delete orphan files, and fragments of installed programs. A quick google will work.

If a program runs every time your computer starts then it is almost certainly because there is a registry entry here pointing to the install program:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

To remove it, run regedit.exe and navigate down the left-hand pane until you get to the "run" key (the keys look the same as folders in Windows Explorer). Click on the run key and you will see the start up entries in the right pane. If you can see the offending entry you can just highlight it and hit delete it.

Just in case though, it is always better to back up the key first - highlight the "run" key in tthe left pane and click "export" from the file menu. This will save the corresponding key data in the left pane to a text file with a .reg extension and the file name you enter. All you have to do is go to this file in windows explorer and double-click it and the entries from the run key will be restored.

The install program will have copied some files and other registry entries to your computer but I wouldnt bother with them if they don't bother you.

If a program runs every time your computer starts then it is almost certainly because there is a registry entry here pointing to the install program:

To remove it, run regedit.exe and navigate down the left-hand pane until you get to the "run" key (the keys look the same as folders in Windows Explorer). Click on the run key and you will see the start up entries in the right pane. If you can see the offending entry you can just highlight it and hit delete it.

Just in case though, it is always better to back up the key first - highlight the "run" key in tthe left pane and click "export" from the file menu. This will save the corresponding key data in the left pane to a text file with a .reg extension and the file name you enter. All you have to do is go to this file in windows explorer and double-click it and the entries from the run key will be restored.

The install program will have copied some files and other registry entries to your computer but I wouldnt bother with them if they don't bother you.

And also check it's mate:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

for entries.

for entries.

for entries.

Sorry for the clumsiness, my mouse has just died. RunOnce does what the name suggests - runs the command only once so on the second restart the install would not re-run

I can't get into regedit.exe, gpedit.msc or task manager. I can get them on my other computers but not the kids comp, virus? BTW restore is also disabled.

Paste the following code to Notepad and save file with .bat or .cmd extension. Double-click to execute; a black screen will appear briefly then close. You may need to restart for the changes to take effect.

@echo off
cls

rem - Enable Registry Editor
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v "DisableRegistryTools" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f >nul

rem - Enable Task Manager
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v "DisableTaskMgr" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f >nul

rem - Enable System Restore
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore" /v "DisableSR" /f >nul 2>&1

REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore" /v "DisableConfig" /f >nul 2>&1

:EOF

This will enable the Registry Editor (regedit.exe), Task Manager, and System Restore. Do keep in mind -- these changes may revert to 'disabled' if the machine is infected by malware or virus.

Edited by Supernova

I can't get into regedit.exe, gpedit.msc or task manager. I can get them on my other computers but not the kids comp, virus? BTW restore is also disabled.

Paste the following code to Notepad and save file with .bat or .cmd extension. Double-click to execute; a black screen will appear briefly then close. You may need to restart for the changes to take effect.

@echo off
cls

rem - Enable Registry Editor
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v "DisableRegistryTools" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f >nul

rem - Enable Task Manager
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v "DisableTaskMgr" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f >nul

rem - Enable System Restore
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore" /v "DisableSR" /f >nul 2>&1

REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore" /v "DisableConfig" /f >nul 2>&1

:EOF

This will enable the Registry Editor (regedit.exe), Task Manager, and System Restore. Do keep in mind -- these changes may revert to 'disabled' if the machine is infected by malware or virus.

The black screen came up but didn't go away, i tried restarting but didn't have access.