Bargain Discounts In Chiang-Mai Stores

Ricardo

In these straightened-times, with the value of one's overseas-income dropping by-the-day, might it be a good idea to have a running-thread on this forum, where we might post details of current discounts/mark-downs in local stores/supermarkets ?

Clearly this might appeal to those of us who are backpackers, UK-pensioners, Cheap-Charlies or English-teachers, amongst others. :D If I can save 100 Baht per-week, then over a year, that will pay for a week's cheap-holiday up in Mae-Salong ! B)

To kick the thread off, Rimping are currently selling 2-for-1 cans of Ligo-brand condensed-soup (Chicken-Noodle or Cream-of-Chicken flavours) for only 40 Baht, so the price-per-can is less-than half that of Cambell's soups. It makes a useful base for a stew or casserole or mild-curry, made in one's economical slow-cooker ! :)

Also on-special at Rimping, for the past few months, are 2-for-1 on Bauducco-brand wafer-biscuits, popular with rug-rats or toothless-seniors alike, at either 32 Baht or 35 Baht, depending on the filling/flavour.

So who else has spotted a limited-offer or bargain lately ?

i am sorry but this is very funny . from a person like me who had stay in thailand over 10 years . the only time i visit RIm ping is cos is really hot and i just wnana walk in a air-con places . to cool down before i leave .

true saving is to live without .

what about collecting discount coupons from the ladies mags? some stores discount 50satang if you take your own bag (and i don't mean the wife). we could also include penny-saving tips. what about about growing your own veggies, or making your own clothes. when i was a kid we used to fix our own shoes using cut-outs made from empty corn-flake boxes to save a visit to the cobblers.

i am sorry but this is very funny . from a person like me who had stay in thailand over 10 years . the only time i visit RIm ping is cos is really hot and i just wnana walk in a air-con places . to cool down before i leave .

That is true. Anyhow, I just enjoyed a delicious lunch with the wife at the Vegetarian Society. Both of us overate and left stuffed. Total cost 31 ฿. I don't eat there because I'm a Cheap Charlie but because I enjoy their fare and I support the greater aims of their organization. Very reasonably priced healthy food store next door too.

My thoughts exactly. You save a whole lot more than 100 baht by just not setting a foot in Rim Ping in the first place. ;)

Get a Makro card.

Sales on merchandise and food is just not the Thai way. I see stuff in markets covered in dust so thick that you can't even tell the colour or read the label. By contrast, in North America we actually DO have sales. The only difficult part is being there at the correct time when the sale is happening. If you wait too long the stuff is all gone. Women just love it because that is what they live for... shopping.

Eventually, you collect so much stuff you don't really need that it's hard finding a place to sit down. :lol:

Items in Rimping Markets are about 20% more than similar products elsewhere. But, they DO offer items not available in other markets. So, if you absolutely have to have that horrible stuff called Marmite or Vegemite then yah gotta pay the import duty. :lol:

Me? I just survive on those many rice dishes produced by Thai women cooking over a wok in little street cafes. Oh, and supplement that with fresh Thai fruit from the market. Of course, I don't get anywhere close to the same variety as I do in a Canadian market. But then I don't pay 4 times as much, either. .:)

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Ricardo,

Great idea ! Just ignore the usual OT responses, if you can.

In any given week, Rimping, Carrefour, Big C, Makro, Tops, etc. may well have some good specials.

Earlier this month we were able to buy six-packs of the 1.5 liter size bottles of Nestle bottled water at a great discount at the Lotus Express at the gas station on Charoenmuang just before (west of) the intersection with Thanon Teevee Utit. Whether those are available now, don't know.

For those of us on bicycles only, real hard-core comparison shopping is often not worth the effort to save a few baht.

In our jaded opinion the greatest bargain in Chiang Mai is fresh soy-milk (we find the vendor at the corner of Charoenmuang and TeeVee Utit, the best), for about 5 baht per roughly 275 ml. Since we buy in quantity, every day, bringing our own glass containers, we think they are giving us a bit more than usual.

For the limited range of veggies we can eat, we find the local market, in our case Talat San Pak Hoi, best; nice big fresh garlic for half the price of Rimping.

But, Rimping does carry the large 1 liter sized LactaSoy Lite which is our fallback in case we run out of home-made.

Happy shopping !

best, ~o:37;

Great cool cotton T-shirts that are the only ones I have found never shrink in Thailand or looked ragged after a wash. Only 69bt in Big C.

Makro Card and grab bulk... avoid Rimping as much as possible- yet of course many of us need a monthly visit there for essentials.

The main stores all have sales adveertised at any give time to get you in like anywhere else.

what about collecting discount coupons from the ladies mags? some stores discount 50satang if you take your own bag (and i don't mean the wife). we could also include penny-saving tips. what about about growing your own veggies, or making your own clothes. when i was a kid we used to fix our own shoes using cut-outs made from empty corn-flake boxes to save a visit to the cobblers.

Corn Flake boxes......luxury......we used to dream of fixing our shoes with Corn Flake boxes.......best we could do was old discarded cigarette packets, Weights, Woodbines or Capstan full strength...........if we were lucky!! wink.gif

I am still mourning the end of the Timtam buy one get one free offer that finished at rimping about a month ago.............it strikes me that these supermarkets must have a huge markup not withstanding the import tax on food,some items from the uk are three times the price..eg..HP sauce for your bacon butties...in the uk u can get a small bottle for less than a quid (50 baht)..here they want 132 baht

It always bewildered me that people would pay good money for bottled water in Canada. Not much different here, yet at the price of a small bottle from 7/11 I get a weeks worth of great water from a dispensing machine, as seen almost everywhere.

But from 7/11 it doesn't taste of fish.

Drinking water I get delivered, 40Baht/crate of 12x750ml in glass bottles, weekly. 

"Dew Drop" from Tana Processing LTD Chiang Mai. 

283 Wang Singh Kham Rd. T. Pa Tan. A. Muang. Chiang Mai 50300

Phone 053235982

Today's special at TOPS Kad-Suan-Keaw, if you have their member-card, English biscuits heavily-marked-down :-

Bourbon Creams @ 49B instead of 89B

Custard Creams @ 39B instead of 79B

Golden Crunch Creams @ 49B instead of 79B

munch ... munch ... munch ... ooh, crumbs ! :rolleyes:

Sales on merchandise and food is just not the Thai way. I see stuff in markets covered in dust so thick that you can't even tell the colour or read the label. By contrast, in North America we actually DO have sales. The only difficult part is being there at the correct time when the sale is happening. If you wait too long the stuff is all gone. Women just love it because that is what they live for... shopping.

Eventually, you collect so much stuff you don't really need that it's hard finding a place to sit down. :lol:

Items in Rimping Markets are about 20% more than similar products elsewhere. But, they DO offer items not available in other markets. So, if you absolutely have to have that horrible stuff called Marmite or Vegemite then yah gotta pay the import duty. :lol:

Me? I just survive on those many rice dishes produced by Thai women cooking over a wok in little street cafes. Oh, and supplement that with fresh Thai fruit from the market. Of course, I don't get anywhere close to the same variety as I do in a Canadian market. But then I don't pay 4 times as much, either. .:)

Agree with Ian, there isn't really any 'sale culture' like in Europe or the America's. I find shopping at the markets in town slightly cheaper than the market at Doi Saket where I live, but the main reason would be for a wider choice.

Makro Card and grab bulk... avoid Rimping as much as possible- yet of course many of us need a monthly visit there for essentials.

Makro is ok if you are into buying generic items in bulk but when you prefer to shop a few times a week, Rimping can't be beat. I also add the cost against time spent and that makes Rimping shopping cheaper than anywhere.

Someone remarked it's 20% more expensive than elsewhere. Well that's just crap. Certain top-end meats, import sauces and high quality fruits are more expensive, for sure, but everyday stuff like bread, milk, butter, eggs is the same.

It always bewildered me that people would pay good money for bottled water in Canada. Not much different here, yet at the price of a small bottle from 7/11 I get a weeks worth of great water from a dispensing machine, as seen almost everywhere.

I'll stick with my filter, thanks, but, although have used those dispensers in the past, would prefer bottled water. When was the last time the filter was changed in the one you use, if it even has one that is? You know the natives think you're a cheapo using those things, right? :P

Edited by jackr

Me? I just survive on those many rice dishes produced by Thai women cooking over a wok in little street cafes. Oh, and supplement that with fresh Thai fruit from the market.

Ditto here. Occasionally some Kow Soi for a break from rice. The best tasting for for next to nothing in cost.:)

Today's special at TOPS Kad-Suan-Keaw, if you have their member-card, English biscuits heavily-marked-down :-

Bourbon Creams @ 49B instead of 89B

Custard Creams @ 39B instead of 79B

Golden Crunch Creams @ 49B instead of 79B

munch ... munch ... munch ... ooh, crumbs ! :rolleyes:

Actualy uf you were serious about saving money you could save 137 Baht by not buying them in the first place. They are not needed nor nessesarly good for you. Damned if I am going to spend good money to travel half way across the city to buy something I don't need.

Do the math 137 Baht a day equals 959 Baht a week. Now you can afford a real vacation.:lol:

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Ricardo,

Great idea ! Just ignore the usual OT responses, if you can.

One tries to, but it's not easy. I guess the idea, of spreading the word to help one's fellow farang/forum-member, was always going to be a tempting target, for some. :whistling:

While I too like Thai food/fruit, and eat it a lot, I sometimes like to eat something else too. And while I understand & respect the minimalist-living idea, not everyone wants to live like that, do they ?

Jeez, I sometimes wonder why I bother, with TV. :jap:

I am still mourning the end of the Timtam buy one get one free offer that finished at rimping about a month ago.............it strikes me that these supermarkets must have a huge markup not withstanding the import tax on food,some items from the uk are three times the price..eg..HP sauce for your bacon butties...in the uk u can get a small bottle for less than a quid (50 baht)..here they want 132 baht

Seeing as though your a fellow TimTam lover I'll tell you a secret. Tesco's on the Super highway are offering buy one get one free, or at least they were on Monday when I grabbed 6 packets... :D