Translate My Name Into Thai (Urgent!)

allotments

there is only 1 way you can spell it. พอล โจนส์ ;)

Which will be pronounced by the most Thais as Pawn Jone.

No.You will be surprised how Thais can get the L sound out as an ending constanant when it is a name of a foriegner. I have a friend who's name is just that and have tried it on alot of my Thai friends who ALL pronounced it as PauL.This of course is an exception to Thai language rules of ending L is pronounced as a N because it is not a Thai word.

And 'Jone' as you put it is as close as you will get to Jones. Without our little friend ไม้ทัณฑฆาต the sound would be nowhere near as close as โจนส์.

The rule is if you change the spelling of an English name you MUST translate it using ALL the English letters with the corresponding Thai letters. Of course it is not going to sound excactly the way it sounds in English. That is simply impossible unless the speaker is trained to pronounce they name like a native speker. That is one reason why we all speak foriegn languages with an accent. :)

Aren't foriegn languages just great fun ?? :D

Hi,

I am currently in Thailiand and I got my surname done in thai script in Henna.

I want to get it permanent cause it looks amazing.

I need to know if my surname was done correctly.

My surname is Lotter.

Please help urgently.

What about this unfortunate person, how would the experts spell this? I assume it is pronounced Lo'ter rather that lot ter. เลาะเทอ ?

No.You will be surprised how Thais can get the L sound out as an ending constanant when it is a name of a foriegner. I have a friend who's name is just that and have tried it on alot of my Thai friends who ALL pronounced it as PauL.This of course is an exception to Thai language rules of ending L is pronounced as a N because it is not a Thai word.

And 'Jone' as you put it is as close as you will get to Jones. Without our little friend ไม้ทัณฑฆาต the sound would be nowhere near as close as โจนส์.

The rule is if you change the spelling of an English name you MUST translate it using ALL the English letters with the corresponding Thai letters. Of course it is not going to sound excactly the way it sounds in English. That is simply impossible unless the speaker is trained to pronounce they name like a native speker. That is one reason why we all speak foriegn languages with an accent. :)

I think we've been through this already. Thanks for contributing but please read the entire thread first before jumping in the middle and reiterating what we've already discussed.

I think we've been through this already. Thanks for contributing but please read the entire thread first before jumping in the middle and reiterating what we've already discussed.

:mfr_closed1: