Hard Drive Problem

thaiflyer1

Hope there is a tech savvy guy in here.

I bought a Seagate 120Gb hard drive 3 weeks ago everything was running fine until this a.m...........the computer wouldnt boot up.........i was getting the error "unmountable_boot_volume".

Couldnt do anything i.e re-install Windows etc.

Have swopped back to my old hard drive to get online.........old one booted up no problems

Just before i take the new hard drive back would i be correct in assuming that the drive is at fault and i/m not missing something?.........dont want to go back in the shop and look an idiot if they test the drive and its ok.

Cheers.

Pretty much sounds like the HDD is at fault.

About the only other thing you could do is to plug both drives in at the same time - your old one as master, the new one as slave. Then you can boot using your old disk and try to see if you can access the new one through windows.

But I am fairly sure that it is a dead drive. Take it back and don't feel embarassed.

something could have corrupted in your master boot record ( mbr ) , but I agree , set the jumper on it to cable select or slave and pop it in the machine with the old hard drive and see if you can read the data on it. if you can read it copy the gear off it you want and take it back and see if you can get a replacement.

The length of time you have your harddisk and the manufacturer it came from is no indication of whether your harddisk will fail or not. Harddisks are very delicate and complicated things, and they can fail because of a great variety of reasons, any of which can occur at any time. I have several maxtor harddisks that have worked for several years, same goes for seagate and WD. I also had to return a maxtor harddisk that I had used for only a month. One failure (or even two) is not an indication of a manufacturer's general reliability.

Sometimes these shops try to pass off 2nd hand HDs as brand new. I bought a HDD once with all the salesperson's photos plus a lot of XXX pics & vids. The idiots didn't even bother deleting them before reselling it.

Copied the pics & asked for a refund ;P

Tried  installing  old  and  new  harddisks  in  slave/master  config..........old  harddisk  opens  up  ok  but  cant  access  new  harddisk............think  its  well  and  truly  knackered.  :D

hi'

back to shop ...

hardware failure, this happens from time to time :o

I hope that you didn't loose any important data ..

francois

Tried  installing  old  and  new  harddisks  in  slave/master  config..........old  harddisk  opens  up  ok  but  cant  access  new  harddisk............think  its  well  and  truly  knackered.  :D

hi'

back to shop ...

hardware failure, this happens from time to time :o

I hope that you didn't loose any important data ..

francois

No i tend to back up quite regular ...........still lost the last weeks downloads though. :D

Did u check your bios to see if your computer can see the hard drive there?

Check the power to the hard drive.

Make sure jumper is still in place.

Check the big cable on the back of the hard drive to make sure the connection is good. Replace the cable and check again.

Use a different hard drive to see if the computer can see it. If not, it may indicate a mother board problem.

If u have an extra computuer, slave the bad hard drive off the good computer to see if it has any life.

One other thing to think about is what you may have on the hard drive that someone could use; passwords, bank accounts, investments and such. Think I would take the loss and destroy if it has such files and they not protected.

Will ask about protection in another thread.

Did u check your bios to see if your computer can see the hard drive there?

Check the power to the hard drive.

Make sure jumper is still in place.

Check the big cable on the back of the hard drive to make sure the connection is good. Replace the cable and check again.

Use a different hard drive to see if the computer can see it. If not, it may indicate a mother board problem.

If u have an extra computuer, slave the bad hard drive off the good computer to see if it has any life.

Bios sees the drive ok.

All cables ......jumpers and power securely connected.

Old harddrive works fine when i installed it.

Lop ive racked my brain and as far as i can remember there are no passwords etc on the drive.............thanks for heads up anyway, its something i wouldnt of thought about.