Possibly Hiv Infected

aNoma

A a previous poster said HIV is very hard t catch from a woman. I agree with him.

If you did catch it and had the symptoms already, the test would be positive.

Flu like symptoms, hepatitis, herpes, dengue fever .... all have similar symptoms (as well as the flu)

Yes you did pay a bit much for the tests Chiangmai RAM hospital charges 400bht, walk-in service, results 1 hour later.

I've known 2 Thai girls who did the 'spots all over' symptom ......... anti inflammatory and avoid eating crab was the doctors opinion in both cases ..... cleared up in a few days with 200bht worth of drugs from the pharmacy.

Edited by sarahsbloke

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A a previous poster said HIV is very hard t catch from a woman. I agree with him.

If you did catch it and had the symptoms already, the test would be positive.

Flu like symptoms, hepatitis, herpes, dengue fever .... all have similar symptoms (as well as the flu)

Yes you did pay a bit much for the tests Chiangmai RAM hospital charges 400bht, walk-in service, results 1 hour later.

I've known 2 Thai girls who did the 'spots all over' symptom ......... anti inflammatory and avoid eating crab was the doctors opinion in both cases ..... cleared up in a few days with 200bht worth of drugs from the pharmacy.

I believe some of this is false information, though I agree the OP is most probably not infected based on his report.

Look at the statistics for Thailand I supplied before to see the extent of heterosexual male HIV here, so obviously it isn't as easy to get as a cold or flu, it isn't massively difficult to get either. HIV patterns in Thailand are more like Africa than Europe and America, that's why I think these false myths about the difficulty of male heterosexual transmission comes from.

Also, most of the medical literature DOES verify early onset flu like symptoms of HIV infection very soon after infection. Then the symptoms go away, and the later stages may occur many years later. So, an early negative negative test even for patients who had experienced early onset signs, would most certainly NOT mean that person wouldn't test positive later.

This isn't global warming. It's a virus.

Edited by Jingthing

The vast majority of HIV infections in Thailand are caused by unprotected HETEROSEXUAL sex and most people infected are MALE, so you do the math. Do not believe that it is that difficult for men to get infected through heterosexual sex; that is totally false.

* The majority of Thailand’s HIV infections (around 80%) occur through heterosexual sex.

* HIV affects more men than women in Thailand; the male-female ratio is 7:5

* HIV prevalence among pregnant women, which reached a peak of 3.4% in 1992, had fallen to 0.87% by 2006

* An estimated 1 in 5 new HIV infections in Thailand are attributable to unprotected sex between men.

http://www.avert.org/thailand-aids-hiv.htm

That all said, the OP is probably not infected, but should get tested later for peace of mind.

I happen also to disagree about early infection flu-like symptoms (that pass). My understanding is that they are indeed common.

I do not want to imply that the threat of HIV from hetrosexual sex is limited, however, the statsitics above do not clearly show this and contradict themselves and, having read the full article, I cannot see that it is any clearer.

For the first point - 80% hetrosexual infections - without knowing what the ratio is between hetrosexual and other interactions (I am not avoiding using the word homosexual but it is not specified in the quote) then this figure is meaningless. For it to be taken at face value the ratio would have to be 80/20 for parity.

The second figure 7/5 male/female ratio would also indicate that male to male sex carries a higher risk - if i were to have sex with a random group of ppl then the odds are that more males than females woould be infected and, making the erreoneous assumption that possibilities of transmission are equal, the MTM liasons would carry the greater risk.

If the prevalence of HIV is falling in pregnant women then without comparison stats from other groups the figure has nothing to compare to apart from making a general assumption that the risk is falling significantly which could be a dangerous assumption to make.

The last stat just contradicts the first one as the fist says that 20% of infections are non hetrosexual. The last one claims that 20% are attributable to MTM unprotected sex. For this to work out then it suggests that the figures for other methods of transmission are negligable which would include IV drug use and MTM protected sex.

OMG! Yes, male to male sex, specifically unprotected anal sex is higher risk (heterosexual anal sex the same thing). But most people have heterosexual sex. I never said male to male sex wasn't higher risk, but that does not mean heterosexual sex is no risk, or that heterosexual sex isn't higher risk in Thailand than in the west, or that there is no risk for males to be infected by females.

I realize many people want to keep their heads in the sand and stick to the myths that HIV is mostly a gay disease and/or a drug user's disease, but in Thailand and Africa that is completely wrong.

About 80% of HIV transmission in Thailand is heterosexual, as compared to about 10% in the USA and some other western countries. So why is the heterosexual transmission rate by unprotected sex is much higher in Thailand than in western countries? One answer is because of a different subtype of HIV virus in Thailand. To understand this, read this section.

http://www.thailandguru.com/hiv-aids-thailand.html

Another interesting aspect of this. Although I haven't checked the latest research, the last time I looked there is strong evidence that (active role) circumcised males have less risk of being infected than uncircumcised ones.

Edited by Jingthing

OMG! Yes, male to male sex, specifically unprotected anal sex is higher risk (heterosexual anal sex the same thing). But most people have heterosexual sex. I never said male to male sex wasn't higher risk, but that does not mean heterosexual sex is no risk, or that heterosexual sex isn't higher risk in Thailand than in the west, or that there is no risk for males to be infected by females.

I realize many people want to keep their heads in the sand and stick to the myths that HIV is mostly a gay disease and/or a drug user's disease, but in Thailand and Africa that is completely wrong.

About 80% of HIV transmission in Thailand is heterosexual, as compared to about 10% in the USA and some other western countries. So why is the heterosexual transmission rate by unprotected sex is much higher in Thailand than in western countries? One answer is because of a different subtype of HIV virus in Thailand. To understand this, read this section.

http://www.thailandguru.com/hiv-aids-thailand.html

Thanks for that link JT - a very informative piece.

I particularly liked this piece:

"Some studies estimate that the percentage of prostitutes infected with HIV is approximately 10% in the ex-pat areas of Bangkok. However, these studies have uncertainties due to the biases of their samplings.

A Chulalongkorn study found that "disguised prostitutes", that is, ladies who freelance in shopping malls and the like posing as non-prostitutes but who extract presents (fashion items, mobile phones, etc.) and spending money from quasi-boyfriends in an extrinsically motivated relationship, had HIV infection rates of around 30%. The Chulalongkorn study speculated that the higher rates may be due to lower condom use in these relationships. However, the Chulalongkorn study notes that this was an unexpected finding and based on a statistically small and arguably insignificant sampling."

Of course the results of these surveys must always be suspect because the source of the disease is only given by the word of the person who has caught the disease.

Anal intercourse is still very much 'frowned upon' in all western societies, and there is a strong predilection to lie about how you caught the disease. The doctor who is attributed as naming AIDs as a disease was once quoted as saying 'I know of no men who have caught this disease by having heterosexual sex'. The government ministers of many western countries who are elected as heterosexuals (but unelectable as homosexuals they really are) do not want HIV viewed as a 'gay' disease.

There is also much suppressed evidence suggesting the rise of all immune deficiency diseases is due to the multiple vaccination of children at early ages. AIDs and HIV may actually be a result of western vaccination practices.

I've never worried too much about catching HIV/AIDs ........

I have no particular problems with other peoples sexuality.

Edited by sarahsbloke

Of course the results of these surveys must always be suspect because the source of the disease is only given by the word of the person who has caught the disease.

Anal intercourse is still very much 'frowned upon' in all western societies, and there is a strong predilection to lie about how you caught the disease. The doctor who is attributed as naming AIDs as a disease was once quoted as saying 'I know of no men who have caught this disease by having heterosexual sex'. The government ministers of many western countries who are elected as heterosexuals (but unelectable as homosexuals they really are) do not want HIV viewed as a 'gay' disease.

There is also much suppressed evidence suggesting the rise of all immune deficiency diseases is due to the multiple vaccination of children at early ages. AIDs and HIV may actually be a result of western vaccination practices.

I've never worried too much about catching HIV/AIDs ........

I have no particular problems with other peoples sexuality.

Like I said, some people want to cling to their myths.

Sounds like it's more a question of what people do regardless of their sexual preferences per se.

As many will no doubt know I question the voracity of the whole theory top to bottom if you'll forgive the expression.

Part of this comes from my own personal experience in Thailand, where no farang I know has ever got hiv by way of heterosexual sex despite some truly jaw dropping eye watering confessions, eg, going to Cambodia brothels and have unprotected sex frequently over the course of several weeks. And of course we've now had quite a few testimonials on this board that suggest it really is very difficult to acquire.

Hardly a scientific appraisal I know, but as another poster pointed out I question the validity of Thai figures as they really do fly so much in the face of established empirical evidence from the west.

This is not the west. The strain of the HIV virus prevalent here isn't even the same as the west. It is a FACT that heterosexual transmission (yes, penis in vagina sex) is the most common cause in Thailand, Africa, and other regions. That said, there may be local co-factors (for example other untreated STDs, the infection levels and behaviors of sex workers servicing locals vs. foreigners, etc.) that would effect local people more than westerners here. All that said, anecdotal stories (none of my friends ever got it!) are scientifically worthless.

Some other possible causes for confusion. Any particular unprotected sex act with an infected person is not likely to infect you. The more times, the more chance. So many people may be practicing safe condom sex most of the time, and fail to do so some times, not get infected, and come to the false conclusion that they don't need to practice safe sex.

Another point about the perception of non-infection. Most people do not get HIV tests regularly. Your friend could get infected and not present with full symptoms (not talking about the initial flu like symptoms that some people get and most ignore) for many years, even over 10 years. What percentage of your punting buddies do you keep in such long term contact with to get their latest HIV status? Like I said, these anecdotal reports are WORTHLESS.

Edited by Jingthing

Sorry JT, but Mommysboy gets the same story from his mates as I do from mine.

We all have HIV tests every-time we change our live in GFs ...... about once or twice a year for most of us.

No positives so far. A couple of my pals go wild with sex workers and no protection ..... we haven't got it.

So where are all these heterosexual guys catching HIV?

I don't know any, MB doesn't know any.

(PS I don't count guys doing ladyboys in my personal heterosexual sample group)

Well... I hope you guys are right.

Still, something's going on. Having those 1.5 degree spikes in temperature throughout the day (irregularly), some weird waves of numbness/feeling going through my body (similar to when you take pain medication with codeine), and there was some skin like peeling off from a part of my 'little brother'. I took care of it with antibiotic cream and left on its own for a couple days. Now, I found a mildly reddish spot in the area, and all does not look as it always does. Nothing drastic though. My tongue white with some clear - darker?) spots. back of it looks like mild thrust. It was clean pink before.

Next STD tests - whatever can be done, the type 1 and 2 as Sheryl mentioned. I will see what they will tell me at the clink.

So, while everyone tells me I am OK, the people who have no symptoms and are not OK make me uneasy. I am quite calm now though, living a pretty normal life, eating whatever I want. No drinking, no party.

Time will tell. Step by step.

Regardless of what you believe I think it would be in the best interest to wear a condom - there are still plenty of nasty stuff out there besides HIV which one can catch. :whistling:

Indeed, and also having other active STD's increases your risk of getting HIV infected.

I hope people don't get the message that they don't need to use condoms from reading this thread.

I don't see any point in arguing further with people who believe based on pure random anecdote that hetero men can't get HIV from unprotected hetero sex in Thailand. Their point of view is ridiculous and dangerous though. After all, there are still flat earthers out there, some things can't be helped.

Next ...

Edited by Jingthing

doublemint - that's a good tip that comes with a good value for the money. I will repeat it here so any other reader doesn't have to go digging:

'the Phaya Thai 2 Hospital at the Sanam Pao BTS station and had both the antibody and virus load tests done for just under 4000B'... results in three days.

Jingthing - that's exactly what my point is and what makes me worried:

"Also, most of the medical literature DOES verify early onset flu like symptoms of HIV infection very soon after infection. Then the symptoms go away, and the later stages may occur many years later. So, an early negative negative test even for patients who had experienced early onset signs, would most certainly NOT mean that person wouldn't test positive later. This isn't global warming. It's a virus."

While it sounds logical that if whatever I describe my 'symptoms' are, if they sound nothing like HIV related, even with the proper symptoms I would still test negative. It means there is no peace of mind having no symptoms and testing negative. It almost makes me feel like any or all symptoms should be ignored during the first 3 months. And if even when you test positive you have lots of time to think, adjust, and that's months or even years, why not to just stop having sex when we thing we got infected, and do one test after 3 months?

I know this sounds extreme and radical, but the conclusion after all this debate is basically one - can't depend on what you feel and see, and only a 3 months test can tell the truth. Unless, like doublemint suggested it, do an earlier antibody and virus load test.

Plus, yes, STD, since it could be anything. And check the vaccinations, as Sheryl suggested (hep A + B ), because it could be other infection related.

I am also seeing the current tests for HIV in a different light. Let's say you have a new girlfriend. She tests and is negative. That does not mean that she is not infected. It just indicates that her result is negative at the moment. She could test positive in a week, two, or a month - depending on when she hypothetically got infected. So, testing negative on day one means not much unless she tests negative again after 3 months of knowing her. Then, perhaps, it's safe to have no condom as with a long term partner.

Talking about the gay aspect of this whole HIV business... HIV/AIDS are not gay disease. We all know it. Sure, a big portion of infected is gay, and at the beginning it surfaced as a 'gay' disease. It's not. Well - I am heterosexual. What I want to say is that the web sites, for example, don't help in dissipating this myth and helping with this all the other infected or perhaps infected, by having plastered all over them images of two smiling man! Perhaps gay people make up the majority of infected, but in my opinion the presented imaginary should be balanced more towards every group, unbiased and equal.

Edited by aNoma

Sorry JT, but Mommysboy gets the same story from his mates as I do from mine.

We all have HIV tests every-time we change our live in GFs ...... about once or twice a year for most of us.

No positives so far. A couple of my pals go wild with sex workers and no protection ..... we haven't got it.

So where are all these heterosexual guys catching HIV?

I don't know any, MB doesn't know any.

(PS I don't count guys doing ladyboys in my personal heterosexual sample group)

Yes, I am faithfully stating what I see: which is an enormous discrepancy between reported scientific fact and ground level experience. If we are honest and can keep the conversation open, we might also admit just a shred of doubt about AIDS science anyway. You can't doubt the phenomena and lets not use argument to stigmatise or deny the terrible suffering, but you shouldn't unwaiveringly accept the science and info. IMHO.

One friend, was such a frequent visitor to the Red Cross in Bangkok that we used to joke he had a gold membership. 20 years down the line, his only problem is a paunch and greying hair. That's a stark example again, but I've met so many people now whose 'condom burst' but never tested positive either.

Personally I would always use a condom, as it is such a wretched ailment that I don't even want to take a tiny risk. Those dam_n tests brought me to the edge of a nervous breakdown too, and anyway even succumbing to something like 'clap' is a rather deflating experience.

One thing that could distort my perception and thus destroy the argument is that some people are super carriers with virus', thus you can have small pockets of intense outbreaks, this could account for the terrible havoc in places like San Francisco many years ago, and for the awful loss of some of our superstars like Freddie Mercury (personally I never really got over this, what a super star), and comedian Kenny Everett. They had the misfortune to mix in the same circles and encounter a super carrier but yes you have to look at what they were also doing with their bodies and their use of substances also in my view.

Another issue, is that we tend to assume hetero sex is natural and good if you like, but the issue of transmission could be quite different if the partner is menstruating, or has an open sore, or perhaps a severe infection. In this case transmission could be possible.

I have to say I don't believe The Thai figures, or believe that the source of infection is being wrongly attributed.

Still, something's going on. Having those 1.5 degree spikes in temperature throughout the day (irregularly), some weird waves of numbness/feeling going through my body (similar to when you take pain medication with codeine), and there was some skin like peeling off from a part of my 'little brother'. Now, I found a mildly reddish spot in the area, and all does not look as it always does.. My tongue white with some clear - darker?) spots. back of it looks like mild thrust. It was clean pink before.

Don't worry buddy, I had all of that too:

Temperature spikes - lasted about 1 week

Skin like peeling - Yup, and red rash like too - Dr said it was just down to my body not being used to her "PH levels" ... lol

Tongue - That really freaked me out, had the full on white stuff at the back .... though of course, it has probably always been there....

No need to panic :)

Thanks Monokuro :)

Now looks like I really need some antibiotic cream down there :o

And there is a painful when I touch it lump growing on the side of my jaw. It grew withing hours. Magic show. It will probably break out into an big ulcer. I think my body is trying to get rid of something.

Next STD tests and search for cream.

Fevers and a rash is a symptom of dengue as well isn't it? I'm no expert.

I am more expert on parasitic infection (thai 'pha yaa yaam'), since I've had it. If the fevers continue with a come and go nature and is accompanied by stomach disorders ask a doctor to consider the possibility of parasitical infection - particularly if you have eaten anything with raw fish or raw meat in it. I did not have a rash but did have some skin itching. If you start losing weight this would increase the likelihood of a parasite diagnosis. Easily treatable and detectable with stool samples over a period of time.

A PCR cannot possibly be done for 1500 baht.

Beg to differ. Yes it takes days. The lab is central- the same one used by many large hospitals. The lab emails you (well, via your doctor) the screenshots which show the test type, the result, date, time, name of sample, etc. I am quite familiar with the software they use, by the by.

I am not alone in having paid around 1500 baht for the (nested?) PCR test. I know several people who have paid the same for the same.

edit: maybe it was 2500?

Edited by OxfordWill

The parasites - it too crossed my mind. I have a slight headache most of the time, feel fatigue, and those temperature ups and downs.

Dengue fever - had it. It's nothing like some temps fluctuation. If you have it you are out of commission. A living dead without any strength. You lay around on bed for a few days in a fog. So, definitely no dengue.

Today I went to the Red Cross clinic. First I went to the main tall building, where they require full registration, with copy of you passport and address in both your country and Thailand. I asked for STD tests and they told me first I shuold see a doctor. The registration is 20 Baht. They take a photo of you with a web cam, and you get a plastic registration card. Copy of your passport is 2 Baht - 2 pages, one with your data and the other with visa. I am not sure exactly how much, but they mentioned that an appointment is 50 Baht.

I had an hour to wait so I went to the Red Cross Anonymous Clinic, which, which is on 104 Ratchadamri Rd. You go back to the main road from the tall building, turn left, and the next big street is Ratchadamri. A few blocks walk and on the left you will see a building marked Anonymous Clinic. First registration, then the doctor. I skipped the appointment at the main tall building and decided to stick with the anonymous clinic.

The visit was free. The cream for yeast infection 35 Baht. They offer a wide variety of tests. I think they charge something for HIV test, but it's minimal. They also test for syphilis and other STD's as chlamydia, gonorrhea, etc. They also have general health check up. This cost, but again the cost is minimal. What is being checked depends on your age group. The older you get the more they will check. The price also increases slightly. They only had pamphlets in Thai, so I can't exactly tell you what all the tests are, but for me they have listed CBC, VDRL, Creatinine, SGPT, Urine analysis, Uric acid, FBS, Cholesterol, Triglycerides, HDL, Chest X-ray, EKG, Cervical Pap smear, Anal pap smear, and something else. My syphilis test will be done at the same time (the doctor said I don't need the other ones), and they also want to do HIV test for free with this package. I am not sure what all these letters stand for, because description is in Thai.

These health check up packages cost for heterosexual/gay/woman: 18-29 - 470/650/750, 30-39 - 760/900/1000, 40-49 - 1050/1250/1350, and over 50 - 1600/1800/3600.

I am not sure why there is such a price difference between man an women, and gay. Especially for 50+ man pays 1600 and woman 3600. Crazy. Why would that be?

Anyway, I am glad to be a heterosexual guy.

To do the tests you don't need appointments, but you have to show up between 8 am and 11 am. You can't have food or drink for 10 hours prior to the tests. (they told me 10-11 at the desk, the doctor said 8; I'd just go for 10, or let's say stop fast from 8pm the previous day).

For HIV infected, they also do viral load and CD4 counts, and a few other things. I don't know the prices, but I am sure they must be good.

Current office hours: Mon.-Fr. 7:30 am - 6:00 pm, Sat. 7:30 am - 3:00 pm. Closed Sundays + Holidays.

CD4 - Mon. - Fri. 7:30 am - 3:00 pm. Sat. 7:30 am - 11:00 am.

Tests results not given over the phone. They offer a print out of all the tests. In this case you need to show them your passport, which I am not surprised since results should be attached to a name, especially since there will be a doctors name attached to it.. They keep the info anonymous though and it doesn't go any further.

So, this is the update... I think a general check of health for this price, although quite different depending on sex and age, is still a great deal and a good thing to do. After all it's about our health and not passing any bugs onto others.

Edited by aNoma

OxfordWill - I will definitely get to PCR testing at one point. I will go to the clinic you mentioned and test there. Will keep you posted about the prices and how it went.

1500 or 2500, it would still be great news. Such a difference from 10,000. Cross fingers on all fronts :thumbsup:

Edited by aNoma

Remember nerves can cause symptoms - worry/stress (ulcers).

Yes all this talk of HIV tests and PCR tests is totally unnecessary.

OP, you obviously have some skin affliction and have probably picked up a virus/bacteria which is causing a fever and you are understandably agitated. These can completely disrupt thought processes and lead to the anxiety and mania that you appear to be exhibiting. The itchiness alone must be driving you crazy.

I really think a visit to a reasonable hospital would be better. They would give you the once over and no doubt take it from there. Clearly something has really shocked you and I'm sure the doctorwill allay your fears.

Seems like the poster is suffering from anxiety more than anything else. Noticing things for the first time and thinking they are new when in fact they have probably been there all along. Welcome to hypochondriacs anonymous.

Perhaps, some of your problems are psychosomatic. Fevers and rashes can be brought on by anxiety, one exacerbating the other ad infinitum.

Anyway, get the tests because at least they will put your mind at rest. I sincerely hope everything works out fine for you.

I will tell you my experience and perhaps it will help you and maybe not, but I hope so. About 20 years ago I was working in prison in US. My regular job was sergeant assigned to guarding prisoners in AIDS ward at hospital. However one night I was working at prison and became involved in major use of force with an inmate. During this altercation I was exposed to inmate's blood and got it in my eyes and mouth. I immediately poured bleach over my face and body which burned skin but of course did not pour it into eyes or mouth. Inmate had never been given HIV test but was known IV drug user.

As I was daily surrounded by patients with AIDS, I became obsessed with idea I was HIV positive. I would not go near my wife and children and was afraid to take test, but I did get tested and nurse who gave test said to me,

Are you an alcoholic?" I did not know how she knew that I had drinking problem, but it turns out she herself was recovering alcoholic. Fact was I had not had a adrink in 7 months until night of incident. That night I started drinking again and it got to point I would drink at work at hospital and almost all day long. Nurse said she was not worried about me having AIDS, but was worried I would drink myself to death.

I got tested and it was negative, and started attending Alcoholics Anonymous. Like you I had every symptom of AIDS and HIV and there turned out to be an explanation for all of them which was not AIDS.

If you have been tested and it is negative you are fine and stop worrying. However,YOU MUST CHANGE YOUR LIFESTYLE. If you do not, someday the thing which you feared will likely come true.

If you are having actual fevers (measured on a thermometer) and they persist, you should see a doctor. It is unrelated to HIV but it would mean some type of infection.

Nerves can do a lot, but they won't cause a fever. (May make you feel like you have a fever, though, hence the question about thermometer).

Yes, thanks Sheryl. That's why I am going for a general check up. I measured the temperature spikes and came to that exact conclusion, that there has to be some sort of infection, or reaction to something going on. Not sure what - can't think of anything (and it's not anxiety or stress!). I think the growing ulcer on the side of my jaw is also a manifestation of this. I will ask a doctor to investigate.

I see some of the advisers are drifting into self prophetic ecstasy and assurance of absolute wisdom. So many strong and wise people - it makes me feel ashamed of who I am. (ha ha ha)

Now, on top of all the anxiety and hypochondria, I am starting to feel like I am worthless and weak. Thank you for spanking. I hope I made your day, because I definitely fed your ego.

It's actually quite funny, here on the anonymous board, because probably none of you tough posters are health professionals plus you don't know me.

Don't try to suck me into nonsense. Go to a gym, try to beat up some big guy there, but please stop posting on board where people with a problem ask for sensitive advise, unless it has a merit. Release that energy elsewhere. :boring:

Please, I am not stupid or born yesterday. Don't walk around insulting others intelligence.

Actually, I don't have any more questions about my problem. I was hoping we can learn together along the way, especially those people who are in a similar situation. That's why I started posting more details, even those which I know are most likely not related. I also started posting practical information about clinics and what I found they offer. But as always, judgments get in the way. Ironically, life can test you at some point.

Without elaborating about this further (and it would actually make for a good essay)...

Later, I will just post the results of my final test so we all know. If someone wants to talk to me in the meantime - you are very welcome. Otherwise, thank you for all the support, information, and wishes to get well and be OK. :coffee1::guitar:

Take care and stay healthy. See ya! :wai:

Edited by aNoma

Services information update.

Re: PCR tests.

I confirm firsthand that PCR test is being done at the Red Cross Anonymous Clinic. If you don't know it, they test for DNA of the HIV virus. The standard antibody HIV tests are cheaper but there is a waiting period of 3 months for the second conclusive test (and yet another one after 6 months is recommended; very small percentage of people need this long, and it could be you; first test done soon after exposure seems to be always negative).

The PCR test can be done just after 2 weeks of possible exposure. It takes one week to get the results, and it cost 1500 baht at the Red Cross Anonymous Clinic. First you see a doctor there, a free of charge, then the test. The doctors there speak English. Also, there is always someone at the reception or around who will speak English. That has been my experience, so no problem anytime.

They also do general health check-ups and tests for syphilis. Different prices and different tests for different age groups and sex, and sexual history. Although this is primary a man's health clinic, targeting gay males, the check-up packages are available also to women and any heterosexual male (like me). The clinic partners with the Bangkok Christian Hospital, where some tests are done (like EKG, X-ray, and yes - mammogram for women). This hospital is a short walking distance from the Anonymous Clinic. It's on Soi, and weirdly located next to Patapong area.

So, two weeks after possible exposure you can find out if you are infected - for 1500 Baht at the Red Cross anonymous Clinic doing the PCR test.

I hope this helps!

aNoma,

Thank you for the info on the PCR testing at the Red Cross Anonymous clinic, very useful to know and I will add it to the pinned thread on HIV. Unlike tests offered in private stand alone STD clinics, I have no doubt as to the authenticity of testing done there.

Due to a crushing workload I was offline for a day and a half and thus late in acting on a number of uncalled-for flaming posts and the response they provoked. These exchanges have now been deleted and, had I seen them earlier, would have led to appropriate sanctions.

All readers are reminded to review the health forum specific rules in the pinned notice. this is a place for people to post health related questions and concerns and it is essential that they be able to do so without fear of ridicule, judgement or flaming. Hence a much stricter policy is in effect re flaming and rudeness than prevails elsewhere.

I believe this thread has run its course and am closing it. aNoma, I trust you obtained the needed medical care at the clinic insofar as your fever and skin problems go and hope that all tests will come back negative. I'm sure you already know what precautions to take in future. If you have any further questions or information to share feel free to start up a new thread, or you can PM me to unlock this one. However for now I think closing it is the best way to forestall further unwarranted comments.

• 2 weeks later...

Update

I have good news for me and others.

First me. As it turns out, the result of my test at the Anon Red Cross Clinic, which said 'negative', was really negative and 99.99% accurate. So, basically I am HIV free.

Why? Read below.

They test for antibodies. If the result comes out negative, they automatically do NAT test, which is a test detecting the virus. When this confirms as negative, it means you are not infected with HIV. NAT test can be done as soon as 5 days after possible infection, so it is reasonable to say that you can find out if you are infected or not after a week and within hours. No need for PCR testing, waiting and worrying.

On the printout at the clinic they show only one result - positive or negative. If negative, it means that the antibody test was negative and the automatically performed in such case NAT test was also negative. If your NAT result was positive, your combined outcome will say 'positive'. In this case they will help with next steps and possible treatment.

So, in my opinion, in case someone thinks they might be infected with HIV, the best thing to do is go to the Red Cross Anonymous Clinic, take one of their health check-up packages (it was 1000 Baht for my group age), get blood, urine, heart, lungs checked, but most importantly in such case a syphilis and HIV (antibody + NAT) tests done - all included in this one package. The results for HIV come the same day.

The NAT testing is done ONLY in Bangkok, so wherever in Thailand, Bangkok is the place to do it.

Thank you all the supporters and good luck to all the worried. You can be worry free, or at least have the answer, a week after and within a day. I didn't know about it when I went there and pick up my results. I am glad the next time, when picking up my other tests results, the doctor explained it to me.

All the best!

aNoma

Edited by aNoma