Possibly Hiv Infected

aNoma

To,Sherly and others who need info abt Thai red cross anon clinic

I am at the clinic now and according to aNoma that the result for NAT will be given on the day u took the test is wrong

Wat the doctor said is that u can get the antibody test an hour after the blood test and they will do the NAT test after that and the result will be given after three days by phone .....

if the result is negative they wont call u

If there are problems with the result the clinic will call and inform u abt it

So which means there are three more days for me to wait for the result...... :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is physically impossible to get immediate results on a PCR (which the NAT is0. google how this test is done and you'll understand why.

3 days is about the minimum turn around possible. in many places, wait can be 2 weeks.

The doctor at the Red Cross handed me the test results the same day. The doctor said that when antibody tests shows negative, they do automatically NAT test, and when NAT is negative, they print the final result as negative (without indicating that both tests were done - just one result).

So, I don't have a clue what is going on, but what the doctor told me, and it was that if the print says negative, it means NAT was done and I am negative. I have have the doctor's hand written 99.99% note on it.

By the way, if you do tests there you don't need the PCR test, since NAT takes care of it.

I was just going to comment on that too.

If a woman is tested once a month and is negative, than you are only safe if you are the first one to sleep with her.

After that the test result has no much weight.

In other words, she could test negative today, get infected tomorrow, and be infected for the next 28 days until the next monthly test. So, basically the two month period shows that the woman didn't get infected in the past 30 days but might be infected for the next 29 days.

• 4 weeks later...

I am confused, I googled PCR test and it's for DNA and hereditary diseases, why take it for an AIDS test?

"I was just going to comment on that too.

If a woman is tested once a month and is negative, than you are only safe if you are the first one to sleep with her.

In other words, she could test negative today, get infected tomorrow, and be infected for the next 28 days until the next monthly test. So, basically the two month period shows that the woman didn't get infected in the past 30 days but might be infected for the next 29 days."

Anoma, can I safely assume that you are talking about a working girl here?

I am confused, I googled PCR test and it's for DNA and hereditary diseases, why take it for an AIDS test?

"I was just going to comment on that too.

In other words, she could test negative today, get infected tomorrow, and be infected for the next 28 days until the next monthly test. So, basically the two month period shows that the woman didn't get infected in the past 30 days but might be infected for the next 29 days."

Anoma, can I safely assume that you are talking about a working girl here?

PCR test for HIV tests for the DNA of the virus (or RNA, as there is also an RNA PCR). Hence identifies the presence of the actual ivrus rather than antibodies which take time to develop. Uses and amplification technique so that even small amounts of virus can be detected.

What Anoma was getting at is that the stabdard HIV test checks for antibodies which take time to develop. It is thus possible to contacvt HIV from someone recently tested as antibody negative if that person was in early stages of infection when that test was done.

Doesn't matter of sex worker or not. Issue is: any possible exposure in the 3 months before the test was done or since it was done (but especially in the month before).