Smokescreen Of Thai Patriotism Can't Hide Our Failings

webfact

'SergeiY' timestamp='1287922964' post='3977031'

Do you even know how much 'real information' is there out in Thai? And that it is not prohibited to learn English?

What a silly post. Of course I don't know how much is in Thai and neither do you.

But one thing's for sure: there is much more written in English than in Thai.

Do you dispute that?

And where did I imply that it was prohibited to learn English? Answer: I didn't.

So please reply to what I wrote and not what you wished I'd written.

Okay, there is no conspiracy of those in power to let the 'little' people in the dark with not allowing them to learn English, aka the language of the "real" information (aka the only language you can speak).

My mistake. With 454+ posts to your name I thought you were an established poster on TV. But your silly remarks made me look a little closer and I see you have been here just 18 days.

So who were you before? You'd better think up another name quick because I doubt you'll be here much longer.

har, har, har.

What an argument ....

Some other clown here thinks that his over 9,000 post on TVF makes him smarter than the education minister.

If that was and example of Kuhn Education Ministers logic,

then on this point he doesn't prove too smart at all.

Of course only you have said I think I am smarter than he is.

Just another flame from you, and of no consequence otherwise.

You haven't proved you are smarter than I am, either,

just likely to be more mean spirited.

Edited by animatic

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, there is no conspiracy of those in power to let the 'little' people in the dark with not allowing them to learn English, aka the language of the "real" information (aka the only language you can speak).

My mistake. With 454+ posts to your name I thought you were an established poster on TV. But your silly remarks made me look a little closer and I see you have been here just 18 days.

So who were you before? You'd better think up another name quick because I doubt you'll be here much longer.

My sentiments exactly.

According to you those in power or the atm Democrats lead government does everything to keep the average people dumb and will never allow an improvement so that the people become smart, right?. Because with a better knowledge and access to 'english information' the average people would start to challenge those in power, right?

It is still a silly logic. (and disproven by all the masses of not so smart English speakers allover the world and their governments)

But okay, one question - How big must be your post count until you can replace the Thai government and bring all the fine knowledge to the then liberated Thai people?

Logic has no wall count, either the concept makes sense or it doesn't.

To even worry that others might think Thailand was ever colonized

because it decides to have English as an official or main second language,

is a waste of air and half-baked nationalist sentiments.

No one but a Thai nationalist would give a dam_n, let alone even

be considered by any one else.

His reasoning was not logical, and at best politically expedient

for one small segment of the populace. So worthless.

Edited by animatic

English is not a nationally exclusive language. There is English-English, American-English, Computer-English, Chinese-English, Indian-English, Kenyan-English, etc. etc. Each variant brings a wider vocabulary and in many cases, brings slightly different meanings to some words. It is arguably, this 'tolerance' within English grammar and vocabulary which contributes to the international usage and acceptance of this language. It is this international usage which makes it a vibrant and dynamic force in world communication.

Thailand is a justifyably proud nation.

It's leaders nead have no fear or doubts about encouraging Thailand to join the community of nations who have embraced the teaching and use of English as an additional means of communication for its citizens.

China is no less Chinese because English is widely taught in that country. This contributes to China's success in the modern world.

Come on Thailand !

PAD is the only true "Thai Patriotism" left in Thailand. Everyone else are fake. PAD is the only group willing to risk their life against Cambodia invasion. And the only group courage enough to take on the airports.

ROTFLOL.

You never cease to amaze!

English is not a nationally exclusive language. There is English-English, American-English, Computer-English, Chinese-English, Indian-English, Kenyan-English, etc. etc. Each variant brings a wider vocabulary and in many cases, brings slightly different meanings to some words. It is arguably, this 'tolerance' within English grammar and vocabulary which contributes to the international usage and acceptance of this language. It is this international usage which makes it a vibrant and dynamic force in world communication.

Thailand is a justifyably proud nation.

It's leaders nead have no fear or doubts about encouraging Thailand to join the community of nations who have embraced the teaching and use of English as an additional means of communication for its citizens.

China is no less Chinese because English is widely taught in that country. This contributes to China's success in the modern world.

Come on Thailand !

Agreed.

A well thought out and thoughtful post.

Though I may note, that there maybe a excessive level of pride in some quarters.

Pride goeth before a fall, humility is more becoming and attractive to others.

Edited by animatic

"in a country where prostitutes speak better English than most ministers"

oh, glorious quote!

An absolute gem of a quote indeed!

Someone else mentioned that Isaan farmers aren't going to be learning English anytime soon. True enough, but their daughters seem to manage quite well.

"in a country where prostitutes speak better English than most ministers"

oh, glorious quote!

An absolute gem of a quote indeed!

Someone else mentioned that Isaan farmers aren't going to be learning English anytime soon. True enough, but their daughters seem to manage quite well.

Likely because their demographic market,

plants and harvests in a very different field.

Edited by animatic

'SergeiY' timestamp='1287790915' post='3973602']

I doubt that this was written by a Thai.

Your remark is an insult to the many Thai that are proficient in English , no matter who wrote it , I feel the article speaks loudly of some of the failings of Thailand , especially the fact that so little has been done by so many other than to point fingers .

[/quote

Agree, there are many Thais who are well capable of this level of English. I have students in undergraduate and graduate coursres who speak and write perfect English, and well capable of constructing the message of the article. Many have completed all of their primary and secondary education in UK, US and other locations.

What is perhaps more to the point is that many of these students are highly capable people, and they could contribute enormously in building Thailand with vision aligned to the modern world. They are capable of solid and valuable analysis and discussion and have no hesitation to do so.

But they opt to stay well away from the jobs which 'dictate' the future of Thailand such as highly corrupt politics because it is so smelly and they don't want to be associated with the types of people we currently call politicians and the people who currently head the various ministries, people who have been 'appointed' through the worst possible aspects of cronyism and nepotism, 99% of the totally incapable of contributing anything whatever of value.

The unfortunate loser is Thailand and all Thais.

Hey, it is not just Thailand that has a problem with good people not wanting to be part of the political process. I am from Australia and there are very few politicians here that I would invite for dinner. :rolleyes: