Smokescreen Of Thai Patriotism Can't Hide Our Failings

webfact

The internet was created in Switzerland, not USA, by Tim Berns-Lee and is installed in

all nations world wide, how communications evolve is by natural selection, not jingoist fiat,

but some will always feel that it must be a plot from Washington or Hollywood.

The World Wide Web was created by Tim Berners-Lee. The Internet was indeed created in the USA. It started out as Defence Department project to create a reliable network in case of war.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reliably informed that at Thamassat University the professor of history isn't allowed to teach thai history. Without knowing your own true thai history it's difficult for thais to evolve, to question, to empathise,adapt and to find their place in the world. This society continues in a feudal state.

Well you make my point yet a again for me.

The Japanese invade, the Thais fought for a long afternoon

and then rolled over like a puppy to be belly scratched.

And set up the equivalent to Vichy in Bangkok

Occupation number 1

Then after the war the English come in a Thailand has no say in it.

Only the Americans can talk England down from occupying Thailand indefinitely.

Occupation Number 2

Both forgotten by Kuhn Jingoist of the EDUCATION department.

Yep, The Americans dropped the atomic bomb over the Japanese in WWII, we all know it.

But these evil Thai still don't speak American, time to replace the education minister with some tourist from Texas or Nevada.

If this is typical for the comments on the OP I'm glad I stayed away from it.

Yeah, that is the 'logic' even the OP use to operate with his arguments and a lot of comments here are the same style.

But for the fun - the topic is worth to take a look from time to time.

I've been reliably informed that the professor for History at Thamassat university is not allowed to teach thai history.

Thais are taught instead not to question, not to think for themselves. Ignorance of the outside world is paramount. Teaching in schools is by rote. As pointed out previously most of the internet is in english and the elite don't want the people getting ideas above their station don't you know.

The internet was created in Switzerland, not USA, by Tim Berns-Lee and is installed in

all nations world wide, how communications evolve is by natural selection, not jingoist fiat,

The World Wide Web was created by Tim Berners-Lee. The Internet was indeed created in the USA.

It started out as Defence Department project to create a reliable network in case of war.

Mea culpa, I was rushed at the time.

I meant web, since that is what most people see as the internet.

Yes I know about Arpanet / Darpanet and the rest. MIT to Berkley driect lines etc.

But there were European counterparts. I actually met Grace Hopper who helped create it.

Edited by animatic

As pointed out previously most of the internet is in english and the elite don't want the people getting ideas above their station don't you know.

As previously pointed out that speaking English doesn't have to mean that you are smart nor does it mean that you are intelligent when you speak the master race language of the internets.

http://www.google.com/trends/hottrends

Hot Searches (USA)

Oct 24, 2010 - change date

Updated 1 hour ago

1. brian wilson the machine

2. cain velasquez vs brock lesnar fight

3. ufc 121 results

4. ufc 121 post fight press conference

5. kanye west runaway film

6. junior dos santos

7. narcissism

8. arianny celeste playboy photos

9. diego sanchez

10. ufc 121 play by play

11. ufc 121 free live stream

12. world series schedule

13. katy perry wedding pictures

14. lesnar vs carwin video

15. one piece episode 472

16. pumpkin templates

17. mizzou

18. bridge to terabithia

19. sherdog

20. watch ufc 121 online

animatic' timestamp='1287910051' post='3976607'

Well you make my point yet a again for me.

The Japanese invade, the Thais fought for a long afternoon

and then rolled over like a puppy to be belly scratched.

And set up the equivalent to Vichy in Bangkok

Occupation number 1

Then after the war the English come in a Thailand has no say in it.

Only the Americans can talk England down from occupying Thailand indefinitely.

Occupation Number 2

Both forgotten by Kuhn Jingoist of the EDUCATION department.

-------------------------------------------------

'SergeiY' timestamp='1287912449' post='3976699'

Yep, The Americans dropped the atomic bomb over the Japanese in WWII, we all know it.

But these evil Thai still don't speak American, time to replace the education minister with some tourist from Texas or Nevada.

-------------------------------------------------

If this is typical for the comments on the OP I'm glad I stayed away from it.

I exaggerated a little it might have been 3 afternoons.

Then the Thai Gov in exile, like the Free French, came about

and worked out of Washington among other places.

Was there a Quisling style government in Thailand at the time?

Most likely, and face prevents them from acknowledging that truth.

Hard to imagine that ending the war in '45 has much to do

with the proponderance of English, world wide 60 years later.

But if you blindly hate the USA, any straw must be clutched at to add another gibe.

I have looked and looked and I can't find a reference for a Thai government in exile during World War II.

The Prime Minister during the war Phibun took over almost three years before the war (1938) and remained during the war. I think the royal family was in Switzerland and most (although not all) of the diplomats were repatriated home after Thailand declared war on the US and Britain.

When I look up Axis powers it lists,

Participating nations

2.1 Germany

2.2 Italy

2.3 Japan

2.4 Hungary

2.5 Romania

2.6 Bulgaria

2.7 Co-belligerents

2.7.1 Finland

2.7.2 Iraq

2.7.3 Thailand

Japanese puppet states

2.9.1 Manchukuo (Manchuria)

2.9.2 Mengjiang (Inner Mongolia)

2.9.3 Wang Jingwei Government

2.9.4 Philippines (Second Republic)

2.9.5 Vietnam (Empire of Vietnam)

2.9.6 Cambodia

2.9.7 Laos

2.13 Axis collaborator states

2.13.1 France (Vichy regime)

I can't find any sources that mention a Thai government in exile during WW II.

Then call it unofficial government in exile.

There were those trying to keep Thailand from being invaded

by the Alies, because they didn't believe that Phibun and Thailand voluntarily

gave in to the Japanese.

Seri Thai The Free Thai Movement (Thai: ขบวนการเสรีไทย; RTGS: Khabuan Kan Seri Thai)

was an underground resistance movement against Japan during World War II.

The movement was an important source of military intelligence for the Allies in this region.

The Free Thai Movement is notable for being the only World War II resistance movement

which used fighter aircraft of its own.[1]

<snip>

Of course none of this will actually happen without those in charge actually wanting it to happen.

Which they don't because they know how much real information is out there in English.

Do you even know how much 'real information' is there out in Thai? And that it is not prohibited to learn English?

What a silly post. Of course I don't know how much is in Thai and neither do you.

But one thing's for sure: there is much more written in English than in Thai.

Do you dispute that?

And where did I imply that it was prohibited to learn English? Answer: I didn't.

So please reply to what I wrote and not what you wished I'd written.

<snip>

Of course none of this will actually happen without those in charge actually wanting it to happen.

Which they don't because they know how much real information is out there in English.

Do you even know how much 'real information' is there out in Thai? And that it is not prohibited to learn English?

What a silly post. Of course I don't know how much is in Thai and neither do you.

Do you dispute that?

And where did I imply that it was prohibited to learn English? Answer: I didn't.

Okay, there is no conspiracy of those in power to let the 'little' people in the dark with not allowing them to learn English, aka the language of the "real" information (aka the only language you can speak).

Okay, there is no conspiracy of those in power to let the 'little' people in the dark with not allowing them to learn English, aka the language of the "real" information (aka the only language you can speak).

Haha, I agree in what you thinking, but not in what you written at last...It will be much easier to handle uninformed people for the politicans. I see honest Thai People that was shocked when look behind the show. Last day I want look some papers of Irak War in Wikileaks but this websites blocked since august 2010 like some other 1000 Websites. And, I think this is a traditional Problem, most Thai not realy interessted to learn anything, they want to have a paper that show they have education. I only wonder that this work...I have electric, water, food and thats fine, I'am a guest and it is nice to stay here.

Come on mate surely you can't deny that keeping the majority of Thais from learning English is beneficial to the old boys in charge.

Thai people genuinely have no grasp of how the rest of the world works, on either a political or social level.

Some Thai friends of mine, in the age bracket of 18-24, seemed to be quite surprised to learn that New Zealand, Australian and British bars aren't also packed with bargirls, and that there aren't 'ladyboys' casually strolling the streets and going about their lives as they do in Thailand.

Many Thais think that life in Thailand is the norm, and not all that far removed from the way the rest of the world works.

They certainly don't have a working understanding of their own politics. I asked one of my friends for whom she would vote in the recent elections, and she replied to me that she could not vote due to having been born in a different part of Thailand. I told her to update her details with the Electoral authority, however she just had no idea.

I strongly doubt anything of note will change in Thailand in the next 20 years. Perhaps after 20 years, when the more IT savy, and somewhat more worldly youth reach their 40s and 50s, some of whom may enter politics, things may begin to change. However that is a long way off yet.

Okay, there is no conspiracy of those in power to let the 'little' people in the dark with not allowing them to learn English, aka the language of the "real" information [/size](aka the only language you can speak).

Haha, I agree in what you thinking, but not in what you written at last...It will be much easier to handle uninformed people for the politicans. I see honest Thai People that was shocked when look behind the show. Last day I want look some papers of Irak War in Wikileaks but this websites blocked since august 2010 like some other 1000 Websites. And, I think this is a traditional Problem, most Thai not realy interessted to learn anything, they want to have a paper that show they have education. I only wonder that this work...I have electric, water, food and thats fine, I'am a guest and it is nice to stay here.

just check what the people who have not to face a language barrier to access the 'real information' do with their abilities and the easy way to get the 'real information' first hand.

http://www.google.com/trends/hottrends - google hottrend searches of today

Thailand educations system has other problems as that English isn't 2nd language and to declare English to the 2nd language wouldn't be the immediately cure nor the best thing ever that can be or has to be done. Nor is it xenophobe when they don't declare English to the official second language.

Edited by SergeiY

Okay, there is no conspiracy of those in power to let the 'little' people in the dark with not allowing them to learn English, aka the language of the "real" information [/size](aka the only language you can speak).

just check what the people who have not to face a language barrier to access the 'real information' do with their abilities and the easy way to get the 'real information' first hand.

Thailand educations system has other problems as that English isn't 2nd language and to declare English to the 2nd language wouldn't be the immediately cure nor the best thing ever that can be or has to be done. Nor is it xenophobe when they don't declare English to the official second language.

It don't have a problem. it works perfect...we are the problem, but it is not our responsibility, that's the material world.

Come on mate surely you can't deny that keeping the majority of Thais from learning English is beneficial to the old boys in charge.

Thai people genuinely have no grasp of how the rest of the world works, on either a political or social level.

Some Thai friends of mine, in the age bracket of 18-24, seemed to be quite surprised to learn that New Zealand, Australian and British bars aren't also packed with bargirls, and that there aren't 'ladyboys' casually strolling the streets and going about their lives as they do in Thailand.

Many Thais think that life in Thailand is the norm, and not all that far removed from the way the rest of the world works.

They certainly don't have a working understanding of their own politics. I asked one of my friends for whom she would vote in the recent elections, and she replied to me that she could not vote due to having been born in a different part of Thailand. I told her to update her details with the Electoral authority, however she just had no idea.

I strongly doubt anything of note will change in Thailand in the next 20 years. Perhaps after 20 years, when the more IT savy, and somewhat more worldly youth reach their 40s and 50s, some of whom may enter politics, things may begin to change. However that is a long way off yet.

"Thai people genuinely have no grasp of how the rest of the world works, on either a political or social level."

I think that applies to people from many countries - they have very little knowledge of what happens outside their neighborhood.

Your comment says more about you and people like you, than you probably realise.

Most of Thailand is surprisingly normal, completely detached from the world of bargirls and ladyboys that so preoccupies the barfly/visa running foreigner.

The author of this piece is quite right, it is acutually a well written article and has several salient points in it. I am quite surprised by the educational ministers plan to scrap the 2nd language mandate, this makes very little sense. I find it hard to swallow how badly the educational system is being treated by the government and how the citizens are not able to push more for reform.

The wealthy Thai citizens can get a good eduction where the poor do not have the same advantage, this is nothing new here or in other countries. However, in many other countries the government at least tries to be more equitable in how Education is made available.

Recently I traveled to Islamabad on Business, I know an American in Pakistan, not smart, but I have did it and returned safely, anyways, while sitting on the plan I was placed next to a Thai MP, he and I struck up a conversation, his English was quite good he said that the education department did a study of graduating senior girls asking them what their career aspirations where after they finished school and their response was, "to marry a foreign man" , this would make them and their family feel safer about their future than going on to university. The MP I was next too shook is head and was completely shocked, his next concern was for the future of the contry and its traditions. He continued to talk about how the schools fail so many Thai students because they do not encourage thinking and hope and desire to achieve, this is what our schools need, money will help, the PM saying it is important is fine, but changing childrens perspective is key! Without this, we will be having this same conversation in 10 years.

Cheers

C

"the education department did a study of graduating senior girls asking them what their career aspirations where after they finished school and their response was, "to marry a foreign man" , this would make them and their family feel safer about their future than going on to university. The MP I was next too shook is head and was completely shocked, his next concern was for the future of the contry and its traditions."

Is this a dream you had?

"The MP I was next too shook is head and was completely shocked, his next concern was for the future of the contry and its traditions."

I find it very hard to believe that you believe that he was shocked and concerned about any of that. Why didn't you ask him to explain why the Education Department decided to do a study of graduating senior girls in the first place. Where was this study done, and who did this "study", a bunch a slimy old guys who were looking for "opportunities" to get close to these young women?

You would think the use of the nationalistic claims are well removed from reality when you have Thai against Thai in open conflict. Education could help a great deal but like any propaganda released about English or any other standard of educations elevation to excellence - it depends on the willingness of the person receiving the education.

I would doubt Isaarn farmers care about English and are happy to remain as they are. The hope of the future lies with the education of Bangkokians and hope they take their learning outstation. Here's hoping.

Racist claptrap - anyone would think it was written by a hi-so Bangkok Thai. I live amongst them and I can assure you that you are way off the mark in your ill-informed assumptions.

Your comment says more about you and people like you, than you probably realise.

Most of Thailand is surprisingly normal, completely detached from the world of bargirls and ladyboys that so preoccupies the barfly/visa running foreigner.

oh come on let's be honest, if it wasn't for everything being so cheap and the women being so fine looking and available, there wouldn't be a foreigner in sight as Thailand would have about as much appeal as Darfur.

On the industrial East coast of Thailand everyone is from somewhere else. You can tell this at holidays when the towns empty out and the buses take everyone back home. I imagine the same thing happens in Bangkok. Trust me there is no one in Bangkok who does not know about bars and there is no one on the East coast who does not know about Pattaya.

All of the workers who go home tell all the people at home what goes on in towns where they work. At least the women do.

I don't think your post reflects the reality of the situation.

Do you dispute that?

My mistake. With 454+ posts to your name I thought you were an established poster on TV. But your silly remarks made me look a little closer and I see you have been here just 18 days.

So who were you before? You'd better think up another name quick because I doubt you'll be here much longer.

'JetsetBkk' timestamp='1287921921' post='3976997'

Do you dispute that?

My mistake. With 454+ posts to your name I thought you were an established poster on TV. But your silly remarks made me look a little closer and I see you have been here just 18 days.

So who were you before? You'd better think up another name quick because I doubt you'll be here much longer.

My sentiments exactly.

You would think the use of the nationalistic claims are well removed from reality when you have Thai against Thai in open conflict. Education could help a great deal but like any propaganda released about English or any other standard of educations elevation to excellence - it depends on the willingness of the person receiving the education.

I would doubt Isaarn farmers care about English and are happy to remain as they are. The hope of the future lies with the education of Bangkokians and hope they take their learning outstation. Here's hoping.

Racist claptrap - anyone would think it was written by a hi-so Bangkok Thai. I live amongst them and I can assure you that you are way off the mark in your ill-informed assumptions.

Agree, the remarks are very ill-informed, racist and downright insulting.

Firstly, thanks for the hot trends link which threw up some interesting info on Photoshop tutorials. But didn't spot anything to do with this topic?!

Secondly, you're very very wrong. Information is spread worldwide in the English language. Or perhaps you think Chinese better?

Edited by inmysights

Do you dispute that?

har, har, har.

What an argument ....

Some other clown here thinks that his over 9,000 post on TVF makes him smarter than the education minister.

Firstly, thanks for the hot trends link which threw up some interesting info on Photoshop tutorials. But didn't spot anything to do with this topic?!

Secondly, you're very very wrong. Information is spread worldwide in the English language. Or perhaps you think Chinese better?

i repeat myself:

There is no significance that learning English means you will become smarter or more educated or whatever. The average English or lets say American speaker in some average town in Nevada or Texas has probably an average active vocabulary of 500 English words and not more and be able to carry on with his average life.

And so will the average Thai in an average town in Nakhon Somewhere be able to carry on with his average life without speaking any of these 500 English words.

The education system isn't free of flaws and improvement can be done here and there.

I think it was mark45y who said that in a class of 40 are actually only 3 or 4 that are willing and eager to learn and smart to reach higher education. It should be made sure that these 3-4 smarts kids out of 40 in all the school classes nationwide get their chance and go their way up to university.

i repeat myself:

There is no significance that learning English means you will become smarter or more educated or whatever. The average English or lets say American speaker in some average town in Nevada or Texas has probably an average active vocabulary of 500 English words and not more and be able to carry on with his average life.

And so will the average Thai in an average town in Nakhon Somewhere be able to carry on with his average life without speaking any of these 500 English words.

The education system isn't free of flaws and improvement can be done here and there.

I think it was mark45y who said that in a class of 40 are actually only 3 or 4 that are willing and eager to learn and smart to reach higher education. It should be made sure that these 3-4 smarts kids out of 40 in all the school classes nationwide get their chance and go their way up to university.

Are those 500 words spoken out their &lt;deleted&gt; like most of your words?

i repeat myself:

Are those 500 words spoken out their &lt;deleted&gt; like most of your words?

Pardon?