Blasts Wound 15 On Deadly Anniversary In Thai South

webfact

Blasts wound 15 on deadly anniversary in Thai south

NARATHIWAT, October 25, 2010 (AFP) - A series of explosions wounded 15 people in Thailand's troubled south on Monday, police said, on the sixth anniversary of a protest that left 85 anti-government demonstrators dead.

Eleven blasts took place in Narathiwat province over a six-hour period, including two that were detonated by villagers stepping on devices in rubber plantations, police said.

The spike in violence came six years on from one of the bloodiest days in a conflict that has left more than 4,300 dead in Thailand's mainly Muslim south.

Seven people were shot dead as security forces broke up a protest on October 25, 2004 in the town of Tak Bai, and 78 more suffocated or were crushed to death in trucks while being transported to a detention centre.

Rights groups have said the failure of the Thai authorities to press charges against security forces over the deaths has fuelled further violence and alienation in the southern region bordering Malaysia.

Shadowy insurgents have waged a violent campaign in the region since early 2004, targeting both Muslims and Buddhists.

But activists fear a culture of impunity has developed in the region, accusing authorities of abusing their sweeping powers under the emergency rule, first introduced in the region in 2005.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-10-25

Isoc condemns insurgency attacks to mark Tak Bai massacre

Internal Security Operation Command (Isoc) on Monday condemned series of insurgency attacks in Narathiwat province reportedly to mark the tenth anniversary of the Tak Bai massacre.

The insurgents rocked Narathiwat where the Tak Bai massacre took place in 2004. More than 86 unarmed Muslim protestors died at the hands of security officials. At least 78 died from suffocation after they were stacked one on top of another in the back of military transport trucks.

The insurgents' attacks rocked Narathiwat on Monday, injuring a total of 12 local villagers and a policeman.

Spokesman of Isoc's Fourth Army Area's Forward Command Col Banphot Poonpien said that a total of ten attacks took place in Ra Ngae, Ruh Soh, Sikhirin, Yi Ngor, Si Sakhon and Kaphor districts of Narathiwat.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-25

There's nothing like good reporting, and this is nothing like it:

".............. to mark the tenth anniversary of the Tak Bai massacre."

"............. the Tak Bai massacre took place in 2004."

The 3 stooges could do better.

There's nothing like good reporting, and this is nothing like it:

".............. to mark the tenth anniversary of the Tak Bai massacre."

"............. the Tak Bai massacre took place in 2004."

The 3 stooges could do better.

The Nation - the newspaper you trust when they deliver your flavour. DOH

This is exactly the reason why SOE in South must never be lifted, and defense budget by doubled every year. Better buy a few more flying dragon balloon (I am sure it will manage to fly someday when they have plug the helium leak, and use the cheaper hydrogen instead). In fact, the Southern people should carry special ID card (or electronic tag), and must report all their movement if they intent to leave home overnight, especially if they want to travel to Bangkok.

BTW, most people in the South are good people, however a small number of Foreign trained assassin and bomb maker are with them. Such little inconvenience (special ID) is for the good of all people in Thailand, including themselves, hence I don't thing they will mind doing it for their nation. As they are so proud to have the privilege to be a Thai nation, speak the same language with us, and honored to be under the protection of our Thai King.

I thought that there was progress being made down there. Seems like a month or so a go there was a thread here that said they were slowly winning the population over. But there were still a core of hard core Muslims willing to kill any one.

I thought that there was progress being made down there. Seems like a month or so a go there was a thread here that said they were slowly winning the population over. But there were still a core of hard core Muslims willing to kill any one.

Seems like that someone forget them to tell that Thaksin is gone since long time.

Seems like that someone forget them to tell that Thaksin is gone since long time.

Wouldn't matter to them. It is not a political issue. They use that as a smoke screen to cover up there religious beliefs. The Koran tells them to kill the infidels and to them any one not killing is a infidel. So ergo kill.:(

This is exactly the reason why SOE in South must never be lifted, and defense budget by doubled every year. Better buy a few more flying dragon balloon (I am sure it will manage to fly someday when they have plug the helium leak, and use the cheaper hydrogen instead). In fact, the Southern people should carry special ID card (or electronic tag), and must report all their movement if they intent to leave home overnight, especially if they want to travel to Bangkok.

BTW, most people in the South are good people, however a small number of Foreign trained assassin and bomb maker are with them. Such little inconvenience (special ID) is for the good of all people in Thailand, including themselves, hence I don't thing they will mind doing it for their nation. As they are so proud to have the privilege to be a Thai nation, speak the same language with us, and honored to be under the protection of our Thai King.

My knowledge of the situation in those provinces is far from perfect. However, two things I do know. Firstly, those behind the insurgency and presumably most of the inhabitants of the those provinces do not want to be part of the kingdom; secondly, most of them speak a different language and have a different culture. As I understand it, the inhabitants of this former sultanate have very little in common with the rest of the country.

The solution to this issue will come through political means that will have to involve Malaysia and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The latter being perceived as the moderating influence on Islamic fundamentalists. I do not know what Malaysia's position on this is.

There are a few hurdles to get over before progress can be made. It seems that those behind the insurgency are not yet ready to search for a political settlement. Saudi Arabia has already named its price for participation. That appears to be a price Thailand is not yet ready to pay.

edited to correct typo

Edited by rreddin

My knowledge of the situation in those provinces is far from perfect. However, two things I do know. Firstly, those behind the insurgency and presumably most of the inhabitants of the those provinces do not want to be part of the kingdom; secondly, most of them speak a different language and have a different culture. As I understand it, the inhabitants of this former sultanate have very little in common with the rest of the country.

The solution to this issue will come through political means that will have to involve Malaysia and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The latter being perceived as the moderating influence on Islamic fundamentalists. I do not know what Malaysia's position on this is.

There are a few hurdles to get over before progress can be made. It seems that those behind the insurgency are not yet ready to search for a political settlement. Saudi Arabia has already named its price for participation. That appears to be a price Thailand is not yet ready to pay.

edited to correct typo

Correct, you knowledge of the situation in those provinces is far from perfect.

I have been to the South many times. Each time I ask as many people as I could a very simple question in Thai language. "Do you love and will you stay loyal to our king?". I never once receive a negative answer, nor anyone who does not understand me. I also see the photo of the King in every house, office, even in their place of worship.

So I concluded that they are so proud to have the privilege to be a Thai nation, speak the same language with us, and honored to be under the protection of our Thai King.

Edited by chantorn