Nhs Treatment While Pregnant

My wife has now been back in the UK for almost 8 weeks now on a settlement visa, after a long and drawn out appeal process.

She is currently 37 weeks pregnant and is due anytime soon. The other day she received a letter from the hospital with relation to NHS treatment.

She is already registered with a doctor etc.

On reading this letter it looks like she is not entitled to free NHS treatment as has not resided in the UK for at least 12 months ?

Is this a expense that we will have to cover now ?

I have enclosed a copy of the letter that we have received.

All advice appreciated.

Uael

NHS.pdf

This is an extract from the official Citizens Advice Bureau guide on who can receive free NHS treatment. I think the guidance is still current. If not, then I apologise. The underscoring is mine :

Who can receive all NHS treatment free of charge

Some people from abroad can receive all NHS hospital treatment free of charge. If you are entitled to free NHS hospital treatment, your spouse, civil partner and dependent child(ren) will also be able to receive free treatment, but only if they live with you permanently in the UK.

You can receive free NHS hospital treatment if you:-

• have been living legally in the UK for at least 12 months when you seek treatment, and did not come to the UK for private medical treatment. Temporary absences from the UK of up to three months are ignored
  • have come to the UK to take up permanent residence, for example, if you are a former UK resident who has returned from abroad, or if you have been granted leave to enter or remain as a spouse

I think you have received the letter because the Trust is unaware of your wife's status at the moment. Make an appointment with them, and sort it out then. They will need to see your wife's passport.

Edited by VisasPlus

It looks to me to be a standard letter asking her to show that she is eligible for free NHS treatment; which she is.

From Are you taking up or resuming permanent residence in the UK?

Under the current Regulations, anyone who is taking up or resuming permanent residence in the UK is entitled to free National Health Service (NHS) hospital treatment in England. If your intention is to live permanently in the UK you will be exempt from hospital charges from the date of your arrival in the country but you should expect to be asked to prove your intention and that you are legally entitled to live here.

Once she has shown them her visa, then this should satisfy their requirements. If not, then point them in the direction of the Dept of Health link provided here!

It says in her passport, no recourse to public funds , She will be able to get some after a year in the UK , also that may be Dependant on how much contributions she has made on her national insurance . I take it she has been registered ,

It says in her passport, no recourse to public funds , She will be able to get some after a year in the UK , also that may be Dependant on how much contributions she has made on her national insurance . I take it she has been registered ,

??:blink: incorrect advice given here.NHS has nothing to do with recourse to public funds.

my wife,in 2008 entered the uk on settlement visa and she was 30 weeks pregnant,we never had to pay for anything as she was entitled to free nhs as soon as she stepped foot of the plane at heathrow.After the baby was born she was even entitled to free prescription for 1 YEAR after the birth,and also free dentistry before the birth ,and up to 1 year after the birth,to which she took full advantage :D .

OP after she was registered with my GP ,he then referred her to the hospital,and on her first appointment with the hospital they did ask her to take along with her her passport and proof of address

to verify that she was entitled to free NHS care.

Healthcare and education do not count as public funds – immigration status affects whether one is eligible for them.

General healthcare is not linked to NI contributions.

Also remember that statutory maternity pay and the maternity allowance are work-related benefits and therefore contributions based.

Edited by bangkockney

Guest jonzboy

Thongkorn

please take another look at your comment at post No.4 in this thread, it is incorrect and misleading to others

cheers