X-Ray Van Is Roaming The Streets Of Thailand

floridaguy

SCITECH

X-RAY VANS: Security Measure, or Invasion of Privacy?

By Diane Macedo

Published October 22, 2010

| FoxNews.com

I just read this on Fox News today, which I don't normally read, as they tend to over sensationalize everything. But I found this interesting. An van equipped with x-ray equipment that can scan through other vehicles. I wonder what the Royal Thai Police is doing with this van?

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/10/19/x-ray-vans-security-measure-invasion-privacy/

If they have one (I can't find any reference in their press releases that RTP have a van AS&E make other things too) I suspect they'd use it for the same thing as the UK and EU police and customs services, to scan cargo containers as the exit the docks.

where does it mention the Thai police are using the vans?

It lists them as a customer of the van, likely they didn't purchase it to be put on display in the local museum.. :blink:

i can see that now, but why would the RTP pay 24 Million THB for one?

It lists them as a customer of the van, likely they didn't purchase it to be put on display in the local museum.. :blink:

Its obvious why they bought them so they can see all the corpses under the flood water, and at only 24million they dont want to watse money now do they:blink:

If they have one (I can't find any reference in their press releases that RTP have a van AS&E make other things too) I suspect they'd use it for the same thing as the UK and EU police and customs services, to scan cargo containers as the exit the docks.

There are plans to install a new US law that says that ALL containers, sent into the US, must have proof of a total scan, checking for radio-activity and other substances, weapons etc.

Here's a link about it:

http://www.nationald...eratorSays.aspx

I found other sources in other than English languages also, from Germany for instance; in Bremen Harbor thay have already installed such a scanning device and in Rotterdam Netherlands also although a bit more sophisticated than the truck, imaged in the article by Fox.

HOWEVER, these sophisticated scanning devices are now in place also for scanning for weapons and drugs.

It is, at this moment, a delicate and complicated subject because planning such a law and actually putting it into place is something different.

Yearly hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of containers are on their way, worldwide, also shipped INTO the US.

Logistically, scanning can be done but it's an enormous time consuming operation next to that it is costly and the question: who's going to pay for it?

A single harbor like Rotterdam stretches out over a huge area, dozens of kms long on both sides of the river with great numbers of loading docks; the same all over the world and in so many harbors in Asia like Bangkok (minor) Singapore, Shanghai, Jakarta, Manilla, Japan, Korea etc etc.

Next tot that, for criminals, there's always an option to break into an already scanned container which is not loaded yet.

It seems to be that it is an almost impossible and difficult job in logistics to scann every single container.

IMO it would be better to scan containers AFTER they've arrived in any single country BEFORE they are delivered to their destination.

There's a study report about:

The Impact of 100% scanning of U.S.-bound Containers on Maritime Transport -Final Report-

PDF and 83 pages; have fun reading :rolleyes: but I will save you chaps some time and put the FINAL CONCLUSION on page 77 here under, for you:

http://ec.europa.eu/..._containers.pdf

A final conclusion:

In the final analysis, that most critical question that needs to be asked is whether the application of

100% scanning which, as shown in this study, carries a number of negative cost implications, is

justified by a greater impregnability of the international supply chain. The answers received from the

stakeholders that were consulted and the opinions made known by international trade authorities, such

as the Customs Cooperation Council, leave little doubt. 100% scanning does not have any added value

in terms of a reduction in the security risk. It adds nothing to the risk management approach supported

in the CSI and C-TPAT initiatives. On the contrary scanning all containers may well induce the

Authorities into a false sense of security and lower the vigilance of the Customs carrying out and

analysing the results of the scans. This would be particularly true if the staffing of CBP would become

problematic because of inadequate funding. A majority of the stakeholders that were contacted for this

study expressed their support for improved port and terminal security, but believed that this would be

best achieved through a multi-layered and risk-based approach.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

I feel safer already! This device should be dispatched to Pattaya immediately to help the foreigners verify if the hooker picked up off the street is really a female.

The project can be named Katch a Kathoey.

That's driscriminating a Thai minority and has nothing to do with the topic; not funny also.

LaoPo

Out of hope that they will find 25 million in lost change :)