Ma International Education

aridion

Hi All,

I am looking into possible degrees of study to work in International schools in Thailand. Having already applied for a PGCE in England (waiting for interview), I want to have a look at other viable education qualifications. I came across this MA International Education from Uni. of Leicester. Anyon eany knowledge of this? Would it gte me a teaching job in a Thai International School?

Any help would be highly appreciated as I am planning on teaching in Thailand as a very possible career. I have already taught for 4 years in other teaching capacities e.g. tefl, non -international schol. in LOS

Will it get you a teaching job in Thailand?

Teaching what exactly? I have had a good look at the course structure and it is very 'general' in nature.

I have nothing but praise for the Leicester Uni as I did my online MA in TESOL and Applied Linguistics with them.

The MA in International Education may be ok for those looking at management positions but not, I suspect, for a teaching role. I think that many internationals would want something more relevant to actual teaching.

Only my opinion of course.

Teaching what exactly? I have had a good look at the course structure and it is very 'general' in nature.

I have nothing but praise for the Leicester Uni as I did my online MA in TESOL and Applied Linguistics with them.

The MA in International Education may be ok for those looking at management positions but not, I suspect, for a teaching role. I think that many internationals would want something more relevant to actual teaching.

Thats kind of what I was thinking about he course.

I am also considering applying for the MA Tesol and Applied Languages with Uni. Of Leicester as well. I can do it at Leisester for 1 year full-time. However are there many job openings for such a degree in Thailand. And what would they be?

The Hammers at the Emirates this weekend.

Thats kind of what I was thinking about he course.

I am also considering applying for the MA Tesol and Applied Languages with Uni. Of Leicester as well. I can do it at Leisester for 1 year full-time. However are there many job openings for such a degree in Thailand. And what would they be?

The Hammers at the Emirates this weekend.

Good for you, going for the UK qualification, I hope the interview goes well - that should be your primary focus. If you want to teach, I'd suggest your second option should be not an MA but doing a PGCE via distance learning from a UK institution. You'll pay yourself and can do it at any school which will support you, (I met a guy doing one whilst teaching at a Bilingual school) and doesn't have to be an international school.

I'm not sure what these distance-learning courses give you exactly, maybe not QTS, you'll have to ask them. The prices range considerably I think Nottingham Uni is the most reasonable, and Buckinghamshire looks horrific as you need to pay for a tutor to come over and assess you plus you need to attend three on-campus mini-courses. If at all possible do a course in the UK where you can get a loan!

@ Aridion.

The combined MA, TESOL and Applied would be better regarded, with relation to the Brit Internationals anyway. I believe that almost all overseas Brit schools have ESL/EFL departments so with that MA finding work would not be too hard.

Couple of years post-grad experience would set you up nicely for applications as Head of Department etc.

Director of Studies positions would also become available at places such as Bell Worldwide or other EP companies.

@ Aussiebebe.........QTS can only be obtained within the UK. The Uni's you mentioned do run these 'International PGCE courses but they are not the same. I believe the Uni of Sunderland website also specifically states that the overseas 'PGCE' does NOT lead to QTS.

Kudos though to those who do these courses, all learning is good and is to be admired. Not sure though how much 'value' a Brit international would give them though.