Visa Extension Based On Marriage

Quick question,

This year I plan to do the visa extension myself as the agent I previously used has more than doubled their fees.

I know the usual requirements but could someone inform me of the required form(s) that need to be completed.

The only form is a TM.7 which you use for any extension of stay and the total cost is 1,900 baht. If you plan travel (or any chance of emergency requirement) it is good to obtain a re-entry permit at 1,000 baht after the extension of stay is granted (normally 30 days after application). 4x6cm photos taken in last six months for forms.

Depending on your financial source you will need paperwork for that and it may cost 1 or 2 hundred baht for bank letter or more for an Embassy letter of income.

You will need to present documents and copies of marriage certificate, birth certificates, passport, visa pages, arrival card, wife ID card and home register. You should have photos together inside and outside home with number visible on at least one and perhaps one showing clothing hung together. A map (just sketch) to home may be asked. Wife will have to be with you for interview and signing forms.

It is not that much and you can easily do without anyone helping. Just do early in the last 30 days of your permitted to stay so you have time to get something if you do not have it with you. If you want to check with office early they likely will have a handout (but may only be in Thai) of what they require. It does vary a bit from place to place.

This is a pretty comprehensive list I have compiled over the last few years and has done me well. Some things can be left out but I always take them and only produce them when asked for.

Passport

B1,900 fee

Arrival Card (TM6)

90 days slip

Signed copy of passport

TM6 &90 days slip

Marriage certificate

Signed copy of marriage cert

Tabien Baan

Signed copy of Tabien Baan

ID card

Signed copy of ID card

Wife's passport

Signed copy of wife's passport

Signed map of address

Photos of house/wedding

Letter from bank

Savings book

Signed copy of savings book

Edited by Cuchulainn

Yes that KR2 is being asked by most offices now and Bangkok wants it fresh within six months of application from latest report. Luckily for most people with recent marriages the information can be downloaded at any District Office.

.........Bangkok wants it fresh within six months of application...............

My KR2 and certificate are 10 years old and have had no probs with them (so far). Do you mean that every year/extension, I must now get a new or updated KR2?

Edited by Cuchulainn

It is just a copy of a ledger entry that the marriage took place and has been put into an on-line data base that any office can access and print for a small fee. The only problem was it only went back 7-10 years so older had to be obtained at original office but not sure if that is still true or if all have been entered now. Also have not seen any confirmation that the six month requirement is really in force for all or it published as a requirement so likely a maybe rather than a rule.

...........that any office can access and print for a small fee.........

Do you mean any Immigration office can access online during my extension application?

(Sorry for all this but I like to be prepared for when I visit the Stalagluft!!)

Just done mine the other day. No KR2 required. Basically 2 copies of everything. They even gave me the letter back from the bank and accepted the photocopies. One photo of me and the wife together, no pics of the house. Copies of all children's birth certificates. Wife had to fill out her interview form herself. Where the **** do they store all the paperwork ?

It is now on there check-off sheet per my link in post 8. It should not be hard to obtain as it is required at all offices (they now provide everyone getting married) so expect it will be on computer and easily printed out.

I would like to follow up my original posting on this thread.

I have been told by a lawyer who regularly deals with visa extensions that another document which Immigration now requires is an 'affirmation of freedom to marry' which has to be certified by the authorized department. I assume and recall that this document was I think obtained from the Department of Foreign Affairs and then given to the registration office when we married some years ago. I have never been asked to present this document in every year I have applied for an extension. First of all why would this document be required and from where would it be obtained, and secondly in practice are Immigration officers routinely asking for this document?

I have only seen it reported in rare instances and believe it would be a copy of the one you provided the marriage office and would have to be obtained from them.

It would be your embassy paper/translated/registered with MFA and provided to District Office.

I would like to follow up my original posting on this thread.

I have been told by a lawyer who regularly deals with visa extensions that another document which Immigration now requires is an 'affirmation of freedom to marry' which has to be certified by the authorized department. I assume and recall that this document was I think obtained from the Department of Foreign Affairs and then given to the registration office when we married some years ago. I have never been asked to present this document in every year I have applied for an extension. First of all why would this document be required and from where would it be obtained, and secondly in practice are Immigration officers routinely asking for this document?

Doubt the logic here.

When you actually get married, Amphur keeps the original, plus the MFA legalised translation, of the Affirmation of Freedom to Marry document, which would have been first verified and signed by your embassy in Bangkok.

Maybe as Lopburi3 has posted, perhaps you could somehow get a copy of the original document held at the Amphur where you married.

However it would certainly be impossible to show the original of this particular document to immigration at a later date, you might be lucky enough to have a copy, however this copy would in most cases be older than one year and Catch 22 wise you can't apply for another Affirmation of Freedom to Marry from your embassy, because you are now already married!

Just done mine the other day. No KR2 required. Basically 2 copies of everything. They even gave me the letter back from the bank and accepted the photocopies. One photo of me and the wife together, no pics of the house. Copies of all children's birth certificates. Wife had to fill out her interview form herself. Where the **** do they store all the paperwork ?

No KR2 required at Samut Prakan office. Just the stupid photo thing every year.

The news this year was I had to fill out a form from Imm about my personal info, Almost the same as TM 7!

Signed by me and my wife confirming how we meet and when we got married and so on!

The news this year was I had to fill out a form from Imm about my personal info, Almost the same as TM 7!

Signed by me and my wife confirming how we meet and when we got married and so on!

I had a slightly different experience at Samut Prakarn, as they stopped accepting our marriage certificate (provided by the country where we got married, in English), and requested KR 22 (that we register "in the system" our marriage in Thailand).

Billion, Is your wife Thai and you married here? Or, are you writing about documention of a marriage elsewhere?

I haven't even arrived for my long-term residence and Thai marriage, the entire thread is info for my future! It's an unfolding drama...."ohh, I can't wait to read the next post!...this is exciting!....which way will the path turn next?" Ha ha ha....

And, to everyone in the thread: For those of you in Thai marriages, can't your wife do the sleuthing for you? It would seem that she could find her way through the system easier than you. Maybe have connections, etc. (Maybe a naive thought on my part.)