Phuket Traffic Police

CroBiker

On Thursday October 28th friend of my (expatriate) riding Harley Davidson Nightrod was involved in accident at Chaofah Rd, right next to Rolly Tasker factory.

Upon taking off from traffic light at speed of no more than 50 km/h, he colided with small motorcycle ridden by local 45 year old woman. She came out of some small dirt road soi with intention of going accross the lanes. She never knew what hit her, 310 kg nightrod slammed head on into her and she flew accoss the asphalt almost 10 meters and continued to roll down the road.

At the same time, another rider, coming from opposite direction at his BMW had a hard time trying to avoid running over her. However, he skillfully managed to manouver around what initially appeared to be lifeless body.

After few minutes, the woman became conscious and was sent to hospital with what seemed to be severe head injuries. Btw, she didn't wear helmet. Instead, it was placed in shopping basket at front end of the bike.

Police determined my friend was not at fault and he sustained no injuries apart from being very shaken by entire episode. However, damage to his bike is estimated to be around of 130,000 baht and it will take 3 weeks to fix it.

Now, the most interesting thing happened yesterday at Police station.

Husband of lady involved in accident came on her behalf and inspector told him since she was at fault they are required to pay 120,000 baht for bike repair expenses. His face turned pale, hands were shaking, almost started crying. However, my friend generously decided to let him off the hook and cover repair costs from own pocket.

Point of this story: I can't recall when was the last time Phuket Traffic Police asked local (Thai) guilty parties involved in road accidents to pay damages to innocent expats. Even when not at fault, foreigners were asked to pay for hospital and bike repair expenses and what not.

Luckily, my friend called me immediately after the accident and I called few other Thai friends to help gather all reluctant Thai eyewitnesses to confirm his version of accident.

Point of this story: I can't recall when was the last time Phuket Traffic Police asked local (Thai) guilty parties involved in road accidents to pay damages to innocent expats. Even when not at fault, foreigners were asked to pay for hospital and bike repair expenses and what not.

Happened to me as well, about 5 years ago.

Thanks for sharing. I wish a few more people would post about positive things (not the crash obviously) instead of taking so much pleasure sharing the negative stuff.

I don't want to destroy the "bad" reputation of the BiB.

However, my accident also happened 2005, separately from stevenl, in the north close to the diversion to the airport.

A girl with her bike crashed into the tail of our scooter. At first the impression of the police was not good because they needed more than 2 hours to arrive even my Thai wife explained the directions by phone.

As usual they confiscated the bikes.

3 days later there was a meeting at the That Chai police station. 90 minutes later I was awarded 5000THB, half a hour later I did have the money in my pocket.

Compared to Germany this procedure was very swift. On the other hand the amount was only enough to pay for the damage of the bike, I have to pay for the treatment of my injuries and a broken digicam.

I don't know if the decision was influenced by the presence of my wife and her sister. Or if this is the standard result for this type of accident. Or just the right time after the shock of the tsunami.

So far my experience with police was not bad in the past 15 years. I hope it will continue :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing. I wish a few more people would post about positive things (not the crash obviously) instead of taking so much pleasure sharing the negative stuff.

My Thai Gf and I had an accident last yr the police were fantastic, treated me very well and the girl(Thai) that caused the accident paid for everything through her insurance, also gave my GF a few thousand bht for pain and suffering, never had a problem with the police here, I think if you show a little attitude you will have a problem.

I don't want to destroy the "bad" reputation of the BiB.

However, my accident also happened 2005, separately from stevenl, in the north close to the diversion to the airport.

A girl with her bike crashed into the tail of our scooter. At first the impression of the police was not good because they needed more than 2 hours to arrive even my Thai wife explained the directions by phone.

As usual they confiscated the bikes.

3 days later there was a meeting at the That Chai police station. 90 minutes later I was awarded 5000THB, half a hour later I did have the money in my pocket.

Compared to Germany this procedure was very swift. On the other hand the amount was only enough to pay for the damage of the bike, I have to pay for the treatment of my injuries and a broken digicam.

I don't know if the decision was influenced by the presence of my wife and her sister. Or if this is the standard result for this type of accident. Or just the right time after the shock of the tsunami.

So far my experience with police was not bad in the past 15 years. I hope it will continue :rolleyes:

My Thai Gf and I had an accident last yr the police were fantastic, treated me very well and the girl(Thai) that caused the accident paid for everything through her insurance, also gave my GF a few thousand bht for pain and suffering, never had a problem with the police here, I think if you show a little attitude you will have a problem.

These positive experiences don't surprise me that much. Obviously they are going to be out numbered by negative experiences, but like every thing else, people rarely fancy talking about the good stuff. That coupled with so many peoples twisted enjoyment from reveling in misery, means the picture of Phuket and the problems it has, are always inaccurate and seriously misleading on TV.

The truth of the matter is, (this is something that very few people will be able to get their heads around) The police don't actually do anything wrong. They do exactly what they are employed to do. If they didn't they would get fired. Now compared to what officers of the law do in other countries, the service they provide is obviously very poor, but they are not trying to be LAPD or an officer from Scotland Yard, they are just being Thai cops, and the way they behave is how Thai cops are supposed to and are allowed to behave.

When cops go out for a free lunch, they don't sneak in the back, eat some food quickly in the kitchen, then sneak back out before they get reported do they. They go in sit down, and make themselves comfortable for a couple of hours, and drink copious amounts of whiskey. People instinctively will want to think of them breaking the rules, and not doing their job. So when people moan about the police and tuk tuks and everything in between, what they actually have issues with, is the the entire Thai system from top to bottom, and I hate to break it to you, that ain't changing any time soon.

Did anybody watch a cracking series from the UK a few years back (the yanks I'm sure have copied it as well by now, as they always do :D ) called Life On Mars. It was based around the UK police in the 70's and they way they operated is very similar to the Thai police to day. So it's all well and good us being so self righteous, but it wasn't that long ago we were exactly the same, and seeing as Thailand is a developing country, it makes perfect sense that there would be similarities between them now and the West 20/30 years ago.

Stop thinking of them as Police and instead see them as Thai Police. Your expectations won't be so high and you won't end up being so dissapointed.

Happened to me as well, about 5 years ago.

Same here had a lady pull out on in her car. I came off but only a few cuts. The police turned up put me in ambulance put the bike in the back of there truck.

The lady followed me to the hospital. Payed for everything about 2k picked me up and took me back to the police station.

Filled all the paper work out agreed a price for repair of the bike 1.7k. Got the money of her then she ran me back to Patong.

All in all no problems

Interesting how when it's an example of good news, which refreshingly there seems to be quite a few, they're all first hand. But when it's something bad that's happened, it's a case of, 'my mate who knows this bloke, who cut and pasted this story from another forum, which the bloke wrote after he saw it happen when he drove past it'. People a little too desperate for something bad to say me thinks. :(

Bangtao Boy said: "People are a little too desperate for something bad to say me thinks. :("

I agree and I think it is because, for some people, saying something negative about the Thais makes them feel strong and tough.

There are a lot of Rambo wannabes on this Forum and that's what drags it down.

To return to the thread, after two years in Phuket, the local police have been professional and helpful when I have had cause to deal with them.

Also, after 30+ years of travel throughout Thailand, and extended living in Isaan, Bangkok and Phuket, I have personally experienced only one case of a police officer soliciting a bribe from me (100 baht for an illegal U-turn on a Sunday afternoon in Thonburi).

TN