Retaining Wall

I live on Chaweng Mountain about 60m up with paved road and am looking to build a retaining wall approximately 2.5m high x 50m x 20cm thick. I was quoted 4,500/sqm. He told me it was much more expensive since I lived on a mountain, which I find strange as all types of trucks drive easily up to my house. Any idea of a proper price for this type of costruction?

Your land is on a mountain ok.

Will the wall be on a flat level or not?

If not you need more poles because of the slope

so more iron more time more money etc...

60 meters or 1200 metres up,

is the same!

around 4000b - sq/m is not so bad

try to get 10 percent ! wink.gif

If you drive from Maenam towards Nathon, there is a couple of places with what looks like rocks, actually sandstone & other varieties of stone.

They are on your right hand side.Ask them how much a square meter, you might be mildly surprised. I have seen some of the stonemasons work on the island, looks pretty good.

If you drive from Maenam towards Nathon, there is a couple of places with what looks like rocks, actually sandstone & other varieties of stone.

They are on your right hand side.Ask them how much a square meter, you might be mildly surprised. I have seen some of the stonemasons work on the island, looks pretty good.

OP asking for a wall with 2,5 meter high, maybe it will look like Alcatraz :ph34r:

just get another quote off another builder. either he might be less or the same or he might have a different excuss. should always get a few quotes. i know a not too bad contractor if u want his number he does not speak any english though

just get another quote off another builder. either he might be less or the same or he might have a different excuss. should always get a few quotes. i know a not too bad contractor if u want his number he does not speak any english though

========================================================================================================================

Big C: Thanks, but I have a feeling all Thais are just ripping everybody off on Samui. I've checked with others, but you can tell they are just making the numbers up. Cement and steel are easy to calculate and the labor rate is 200-300b/day. I contacted a company in Bangkok and they said it would run about 650b/sqm, so if you add the Samui differential you still shouldn't be far from 1000b/sqm. I believe there is a place where you can rent workers by day or month, so if anyone knows please pm me. I want to try to get one farang I can trust and get him to supervise the workers. I would rather give the money to somebody honest than to give it to these cons on the island.

========================================================================================================================

Big C: Thanks, but I have a feeling all Thais are just ripping everybody off on Samui. I've checked with others, but you can tell they are just making the numbers up. Cement and steel are easy to calculate and the labor rate is 200-300b/day. I contacted a company in Bangkok and they said it would run about 650b/sqm, so if you add the Samui differential you still shouldn't be far from 1000b/sqm. I believe there is a place where you can rent workers by day or month, so if anyone knows please pm me. I want to try to get one farang I can trust and get him to supervise the workers. I would rather give the money to somebody honest than to give it to these cons on the island.

i expect some people will be angry with this post but forang builders are almost just as bad or worse than thais. if they were any good they would be building back home making proper money. most of that half bog jobs i have seeen have been from forangs supervision.

Forangs also charge more for less because they have more expensive life styles also cow boy builders are unfortualty international. there are some good ones just as there are some good thai builders. good as in the way that they are not lying and cheating. u have to allow for some mistakes but as long as they fix there mistakes and exept the blame. if u really want the job done right u yrsel have to be there all the time.

a common problem is that u tell them what u want. they say they unestand and then they start work. then as soon as yr are gone they manage to make the stupidest of stupid mistakes. which means a days work fixing their mistake.

I can suggest a contractor who is good in the respect that he does not lie. though u will need a thai to translate to him exactly what u want. His workers have made mistakes but he has fixed them for free.

If u use him then i suggest u get someone to translate and make use a drawing to back up that he understands. even get him to draw what the translater has said. then just get a cup and some hot water and sit and watch till the job is done.

if u want tohe number can send tomorrow

That price is just under the price my neighbours are paying. It seems the 'standard' for Samui. :bah:

The most important thing is reputation/quality of the builder. Some of my neighbours/friends have paid for retaining walls - twice! (The first one having fallen down!) :angry:

I think the real question is what do you expect a 20 cm wide wall to retain??

Besides the quotation you should let the builder come up with the width...

I would agree here, what will be behind the wall? 20cm is not going to hold a lot of weight.... one assumes you will be back filling behind the wall?

Also make sure there are water out-lets at the base and perhaps even higher, (plastic pipe placed into the cement) as the pressure against the wall will be greatly increased during rain. There will also need to be a lot of re-bar, which would add to the cost.... both in time & materials.

Base of wall probably should be wider than top too..... and that would be determined by the angle of the slope.... which too would determine how many support pillars along the length of the wall, as well..

We've all seen fairly new walls falling or tilting because of lack of support materials!.... with out anything behind!

As for costs and quotes compare Apples with Apples!

Edited by samuijimmy

====================================================================================

I have rocks up to 1000 kilo sliding down a 45 degree slope. One builder said a rw would not stop this. Another option I thought of was just pouring cement on the remaining rocks -- it would be ugly but perhaps solve the problem. I have two new houses below me in the 25-35MB range and I don't want to fight them if my rocks slide into their house. The last builder came up with the measurements.

That price is just under the price my neighbours are paying. It seems the 'standard' for Samui. :bah:

The most important thing is reputation/quality of the builder. Some of my neighbours/friends have paid for retaining walls - twice! (The first one having fallen down!) :angry:

yes prices are always more expesive on the island. mainly becuase it has to make its way over here. i mean just for a car and person is about 600 baht so i don't know how much for lorries and materials. then they have to charge that to the customer then make a profit and bring staff over and back and forth on the ferries and the cost of living for labour is more higher here than the mainland.

add all these things together and it doesnt help with keeping the cost down. also if a deal seems to good to be true then it normally is.

====================================================================================

I have rocks up to 1000 kilo sliding down a 45 degree slope. One builder said a rw would not stop this. Another option I thought of was just pouring cement on the remaining rocks -- it would be ugly but perhaps solve the problem. I have two new houses below me in the 25-35MB range and I don't want to fight them if my rocks slide into their house. The last builder came up with the measurements.

I would certainly agree with the first builder! At that weight it might momentarily slow down the rocks/boulders and smash up the wall.... and then???

With out seeing this it is hard to say, but my thought is that a trench dug out by a large excavator might better catch anything coming down.... or even digging out holes on the downward side...(of the larger boulders) and or using smaller boulders, worked in front of the larger ones. .... but a 45 degree slope is pretty steep for a excavator to work on....even if it could access the area involved.

Alternatively building a wall with smaller rocks/ boulders that are stacked up... the base would need to be in the ground.... another excavator job...

Might that be a feasible option to consider?

post-85461-0-00412200-1288530900_thumb.j

post-85461-0-57227600-1288531362_thumb.j

I would certainly agree with the first builder! At that weight it might momentarily slow down the rocks/boulders and smash up the wall.... and then???

With out seeing this it is hard to say, but my thought is that a trench dug out by a large excavator might better catch anything coming down.... or even digging out holes on the downward side...(of the larger boulders) and or using smaller boulders, worked in front of the larger ones. .... but a 45 degree slope is pretty steep for a excavator to work on....even if it could access the area involved.

Alternatively building a wall with smaller rocks/ boulders that are stacked up... the base would need to be in the ground.... another excavator job...

Might that be a feasible option to consider?

===============================================================================================================

SJ: Thanks, I agree with you. What about huge concrete planters every 5m with boulders in between? I believe that most of the large boulders have already fallen. Most of them now look under 200kilo. The problem is if they roll down my hill and then bounce and go down the street right through a window. If you know where I can get a tractor w/driver let me know.

===============================================================================================================

SJ: Thanks, I agree with you. What about huge concrete planters every 5m with boulders in between? I believe that most of the large boulders have already fallen. Most of them now look under 200kilo. The problem is if they roll down my hill and then bounce and go down the street right through a window. If you know where I can get a tractor w/driver let me know.

If you PM me, I'll come and take a boo.... if you tell where Chawang Mt, is! :Dalthough think I have an idea! (I tried PMing you, but your email is locked! )

It's a little hard to really picture the situation & possibilities..... In my landscaping years I had to deal with many different slope situations, but without actually seeing .... it is a little hard to make practical suggestions!....

I've seen some Excavators around, I am sure it would not be hard to track one down! .... if needed...

Just to be clear I am not looking for a job! ;)

if r u building a retaining wall to stop rocks falling.

the other option is to get house inssurence and make sure u r covered for acts of god and check for falling rocks.

i think u can get a copy o the inssurence contract and not sign it. u can take it to a lawyer to check it then sign it there then give it back to the company.

what about inssurence for flooding.

it is hard because so many house are not build to with stand flooding. there again if the govement have signed to approve the project for planing permission then i assume that u would be covered if u have built exactly according to the plans which should have a copy at the teesabaan.

i mean the govement should not approve a house complex if it is a flood risk. so if the inssurence cover u for flooding then it should be valid

i mean the govement should not approve a house complex if it is a flood risk. so if the inssurence cover u for flooding then it should be valid

and still many people believe in Santa Claus :cheesy:

ok i know this is thailand but i mean technically speaking. Thailand still have a rule of law and have courts and lawyers. If u r in the right u can win a case even if the insserence try to get out of paying. If u have a good lawyer and he thinks u can win the case then i might not even get to caught.

Just cause the insserence said they will not pay does not mean that will not. If u push it then u can force them. Inssurence is defintaly worth getting out here and definatly worth getting it right.

i bet there was some proper pissed people with that volcano. some people who were not inssured for acts of god my have been spitting with rage if they were stick in the terrminals. while other people can extend their holiday in a hotel with inssernece paying expensise and there boss back home canot give them a bollocking

Edited by BigC

to be honest if it wasn't for that volcano then i would not know what an act of god is because i dont have a god. well true or not if the insserence beleive in god then so do i.

can u get inssered for acts of evil also

Edited by BigC