Sailor Bar In Soi 8

easyride

I was eating in the Sailor Bar in Soi 8 this evening, for a cheap beer and meal its OK.

As the outside temp was a bit nippy I was wearing shoes, trousers and long sleeve shirt (as opposed to shorts & flip-flops),

this farang walked in, obviously more used to European temperatures and asked for a fan to be switched on.

The staff refused. I couldn't believe it, the three cows behind the bar gave a very good rendition of being cold and refused to switch on a fan.

Surely it is they that should dress more appropriately for the outside temp? Doesn't the customer keep the business going? Oh no, TIT

If it wasn't for the 45 baht beer....................

I don't mind Sailor Bar for a cheap drink and some cheap but average food.

The staff can be quite rude at times but i know what they are like so i dont really care.

At least you can have a drink and not get hassled by women in that bar!

It's not that bad. The food is not excellent but cheap. Drinks are cheap. The service girls are a bit strange but I do not mind. Sometimes one can even squeeze a smile out of them. On the other hand, what would be your mood serving all "cheapies" (mostly dressed dreadfully) all day?!

If you can't stand it, grab another 5 or 10 Baht and have a beer elsewhere.

went there about a week ago for the 55 baht breakfast------------good --------and the 15 baht for 2 slices of extra toast with butter and marmalade

read a paper and didnt notice if females serving were nice / not nice / smiley or dykey----------ate food paid and went and will go again------------some people have so much time on hands they notice all these things

went there about a week ago for the 55 baht breakfast------------good --------and the 15 baht for 2 slices of extra toast with butter and marmalade

read a paper and didnt notice if females serving were nice / not nice / smiley or dykey----------ate food paid and went and will go again------------some people have so much time on hands they notice all these things

Some people are just more observant! :D

a 55 baht breakfast would worry me though, I can be to god for that price. a sausage cost 24 baht and thats before you even start.

a 55 baht breakfast would worry me though, I can be to god for that price. a sausage cost 24 baht and thats before you even start.

i think it was sausage / bacon / 2 eggs and tomato with tea or cofee and 2 toast with marm and butter-----------didnt specify any animal as a donor but looks good tastes good and by golly it does you good---------a mackeson bar girl

i think it was sausage / bacon / 2 eggs and tomato with tea or cofee and 2 toast with marm and butter-----------didnt specify any animal as a donor but looks good tastes good and by golly it does you good---------a mackeson bar girl

If it is all of that AND tastes good, that is hel_l of a deal. :D Would never get anything like that in Bangkok :(

55 Baht is not sustainable.

Assuming it is not a Be Lucky sausage it will cost circa 14 baht, 2 toast butter etc = 5 Baht, 2 eggs = 6 Baht, bacon (if it is any good) 10 Baht, tomato and tea/coffee 10 Baht. I would factor in oil, gas, depreciation of fixed assets, a proportion for overheads ie rent electric, wages etc, say, 10 Baht.

Well, Bugger Me - that seems to come to 55 Baht.

I now wait for for the avalanche of posts telling me how a loss-leader works !!

55 Baht is not sustainable.

Assuming it is not a Be Lucky sausage it will cost circa 14 baht, 2 toast butter etc = 5 Baht, 2 eggs = 6 Baht, bacon (if it is any good) 10 Baht, tomato and tea/coffee 10 Baht. I would factor in oil, gas, depreciation of fixed assets, a proportion for overheads ie rent electric, wages etc, say, 10 Baht.

Well, Bugger Me - that seems to come to 55 Baht.

I now wait for for the avalanche of posts telling me how a loss-leader works !!

is that joe loss the band leader by any chance

Have visited this place many times in the past and recommended it to friends and newbies. Comments re poor service, non smiling staff etc. are unfortunately 100% correct.

Classic case of poor /if any management skills and basically the staff seem to be allowed to say/do anything they want with no chance of repercussions from management.

Mamasan will back the staff in any dispute and everyone there seems to forget who is putting money through their business.

This place will most likely always survive due to low prices but as time goes by more and more people will ditch this place. They are most likely surviving and will continue to survive on existing customer base(people who simply put up with their appalling service) and new customers who initially know no better.

And of course I no longer recommend this place to friends and acquaintances/newbies as I used to.

I wonder if this business is an investment by some rich people who simply don't care about customer service as long as profits are maintained.

The breakfast is indeed a good deal.

It is not like the Pig n Whistle breakfast but for 55 baht is pretty good value.

The other thing is if you want to drink spirits you get a proper nip.

Vodka and Orange 55 baht and if you drink a couple you go away quite happy.

Unfortunately most bars in Pattaya do not serve proper measures and charge you twice as much for the pleasure.

Yep the service is crappy but if you feel like paying less it is a good option.

why go to a bar served by butch underage lesbians with no sense of humour?

Dislike you highlighting their sexuality and they are not underage. But yes - those two are customer unfriendly if you don't know them (as are some of the other ladies). Surely the owner must have spotted this by now.

I definitely have to try this place! Restaurants with troublesome rude service are a source of fascination to me. Also, I enjoy the antics of surly lesbians, who could ask for more? I wonder what it takes to get banned from that place?

Edited by Jingthing

I must confess I like the sailor bar and was a regular there. My understanding is that the owner is Belgium or German and the madamsam is his wife, but dont quote me on this. The core of the female staff are related and once they know you they are very friendly. They are very protective of their regular customers and staff. My m8 was banned for rudely telling a regular that his personal hygene wasnt up to standard. according to him. The madamsan just told me, "your friend velly bad man, we dont want here no more". But to be honest I hear this a lot about him.

It is not like the Pig n Whistle breakfast but for 55 baht is pretty good value.

Unfortunately most bars in Pattaya do not serve proper measures and charge you twice as much for the pleasure.

well i thoght i was an early starter but double vodka and orange at breakfast beats me face down

I have been to the Sailor Bar many times and never had a problem. The place is cheap... very cheap and a good place to start the evening. I think fried rice is 30 baht and a sangsom coke is 20 baht! I was there once and some guy bought me 5 sangsom cokes... I hope he wasn't thinking to get lucky :unsure:

TheWalkingMan

well i thoght i was an early starter but double vodka and orange at breakfast beats me face down

That is on the way home after a big night out. :D

Classic case of poor /if any management skills and basically the staff seem to be allowed to say/do anything they want with no chance of repercussions from management.

Mamasan will back the staff in any dispute and everyone there seems to forget who is putting money through their business.

Man you got that right. The staff take their cue from management and do as they please. I will say that their food is good; just eat it and shut up 555!