Pattaya Immigration Looks Like A Circus

Why complain about this? It's a good thing. It makes the bar much lower for dressing decently. Do you really want to arrive in a suit and tie in a beach resort?

i wore a 3 piece suit and carried a brief case on my last visit.

Why complain about this? It's a good thing. It makes the bar much lower for dressing decently. Do you really want to arrive in a suit and tie in a beach resort?

Do you want a medal?

Wearing clean non-jean trousers, decent non-sandal shoes, and a button down shirt would have achieved similar respect in comparison to the beach crowd.

People can only expect the same amount of respect (and leniency incase of problems) as they show others, in this case the Immigration staff.

Sure, dress how you want, just don't complain about how you were treated...

People can only expect the same amount of respect (and leniency incase of problems) as they show others, in this case the Immigration staff.

that is correct

Do you want a medal?

Wearing clean non-jean trousers, decent non-sandal shoes, and a button down shirt would have achieved similar respect in comparison to the beach crowd.

have you been recently? The staff all had on polo shirts my last visit.

I have to admit I was looking good in my brown suit and white shoes from 1977cool.gif

You can't control how other people live their lives.

Concentrate on yourself & how you wish to conduct yourself.

Worrying about that other stuff will make you neurotic.

get a life

It's true, they're probably not reading this are they ??

The people on here ( TV ) are not " in Bars " & more than likely wear suitable attire when visiting Immigration..

Instead of Posting this to no one in particular on TV, why didn't you say anything, which i'm pretty sure you wouldn't have done, to the people in question at the time ??

You can't control how other people live their lives.

Concentrate on yourself & how you wish to conduct yourself.

Worrying about that other stuff will make you neurotic.

get a life

It's true, they're probably not reading this are they ??

The people on here ( TV ) are not " in Bars " & more than likely wear suitable attire when visiting Immigration..

Instead of Posting this to no one in particular on TV, why didn't you say anything, which i'm pretty sure you wouldn't have done, to the people in question at the time ??

this thread was started as an observation of the people in Pattaya and how they behave. I am not trying to change the world.

I usually wear a white linen suit, a Panama hat and a gold-topped cane and shouting ......'I say, you fellows, look lively with this paperwork nonsense, I have to get back to my plantation before sunset'.

It works!!

I usually wear a white linen suit, a Panama hat and a gold-topped cane and shouting ......'I say, you fellows, look lively with this paperwork nonsense, I have to get back to my plantation before sunset'.

It works!!

LOL. Now we are talking.

The same thing can be said for other government offices in Thailand. You are there on government business, dress appropriately. There is a sign in front of the entrance to the Phuket Land Transportation office, in Thai and English that says just that...

The same thing can be said for other government offices in Thailand. You are there on government business, dress appropriately. There is a sign in front of the entrance to the Phuket Land Transportation office, in Thai and English that says just that...

Jimi007 states it like it should be for all.

I never go to a government office unless wearing long pants, button shirt, maybe sandals but not shower shoes. I get served first as a rule and get signs of respect as I look better than a lot of the Thais in some cases. In case some have forgotten, we are guests here and should show respect for the customs and standards here. I would like to see them (the government agencies) apply the same standards as those entering the Grand Palace. Look like a bum, use the back door and wait until the respectful get their business done.

Jimi007 states it like it should be for all.

I never go to a government office unless wearing long pants, button shirt, maybe sandals but not shower shoes. I get served first as a rule and get signs of respect as I look better than a lot of the Thais in some cases. In case some have forgotten, we are guests here and should show respect for the customs and standards here. I would like to see them (the government agencies) apply the same standards as those entering the Grand Palace. Look like a bum, use the back door and wait until the respectful get their business done.

A good post. I do the same. Respect is very important in Thailand.

You must be joking. You won't get a lot of respect from Immigration officers no matter what you wear.

We're in a major tourist resort so what's wrong with wearing beach attire? Must they beg for tourist visa extensions to spend more money in Thailand?

Once, a few years ago HE (you all know who I mean) turned my Asian gf away because she was wearing shorts, but in the same room there were tattooed Farang tourists wearing tank tops and flip flops and Farang ladies looking like they had just finished a shift in a strip club.

I get served first as a rule and get signs of respect as I look better than a lot of the Thais in some cases. In case some have forgotten, .

Just in case you've forgotten,this thread is about the Jomtien Immigration Office.

In case you don't know, this office works on a ticket system, so you will not be servied first or earlier if you're dressed more smartly. In fact it will make no difference whatsoever.

Something else you may not know. You will not stand out wearing very casual clothing as a large percentage of tourists dress very casually. There is absolutely no reason to wear long pants unless you're embarrassed to show your legs.

I wear a t-shirt, cargo shorts and sandals and I feel overdressed in there. That's about the most respect they're going to get from me - I don't wear a tank top.

Edited by tropo

To my experience, visiting Thai government offices wearing polo, jeans and sandals is perfectly all right. Often civil servants you are dealing with, are equally informally dressed. Only dressing up I do before going on government office business, is changing from a T shirt to a polo. It is probably more important to be patient and talk politely.