Lonely Planet Website Ranks Chiang Mai #10 City To Vist In The World

jayjay0

I picked this up on the national news.

Apparently Lonely Planet thinks highly of Chiang Mai.

10. Chiang Mai

If Chiang Mai were a person, it would be Bob Dylan. With a history dating back further than anyone can remember, its influence remains enormous. And despite its great age, there’s still a bohemian chic that makes it as relevant and hip as ever. Culture capital of Thailand, Chiang Mai was once the heart of the Lanna kingdom. Today those wanting to flee the bustle of Bangkok visit to lounge in coffee shops and drink in the city’s artisanal atmosphere. With a friendly, cosmopolitan feel, this is one easy, safe and pleasant place to explore. There are dozens of well-preserved temples here, too. Many new ecotours and adventure trips are appearing, and with a choice of river rafting, elephant rides, trekking and off-road cycling, even the biggest adrenaline junkie will be sated.

-- Lonely Planet 2010-11-02 :jap:

Agree with Khun JayJay0 that the fluff piece on Chiang Mai is absurd, as is the ranking. Joe Cummins where were/are you ?

Delhi ? Was there for three months as part of a year academic fellowship from UC Berkeley: an armpit except for November and December. Zero, nada, zilch, compared to the great culture and ambience of Mumbai (formerly Bombay), the culture of Bengal (Calcutta if you can stand the nightmarish extremes of public poverty and desperation). On every level, except for great Mughal ruins, Delhi has none of the world-class cultural depth and ancient reverberations of Varanasi (formerly Benares), or Haridwar in the Himalayas. Tourist-wise Delhi has nothing to compare to Srinigar in Kahsmir (which it's now probably too dangerous to visit ?).

Would like to nominate this writing in Khun Thanong's op-ed for the Bangkok Post as equally fripperous: that has been up one page-one-online for weeks now: titled: "Chiang Mai tops the list to go if the world goes to hel_l" :

CM if hel_l

All you really need to know is that this idyllic city in the North of Thailand is where famous investor Marc Faber makes his home. Faber is one of the most gloomy people you'll meet in the investment world, constantly issuing warnings about where you should live if the war comes (rural farmland), and what will happen to the dollar (it will be worth less than toilet paper).

But at least Khun Thanong's piece is "tongue in cheek," not "head up rectum."

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

It can be hard to see what you really have when you live with it every day. Funny how human nature can see it in a new local but miss it in there back yard.

Reminds me of years ago when I first moved to Vancouver Canada. With in six months I knew more about it's high lights than most of the locals. After ten years there I had forgotten or just took them for granted.

Granted it did have a fluff look to it. But they all did. One must always remember that these are just opinions based on there personal travels and there main intention is to see what the city has to offer. Unlike most of the travelers who go to a city with a particular point of view in mind. They are open to every thing.

I have used there book and the information in it is far more than I can get from most travelers They have done a fair amount of first hand investigation.

What about Pattaya and Bangkok?:whistling:

Pattaya may actually make such a list list within 5 years or so. I see the beginnings of trendiness.

Bangkok I think is a lost cause.

Trend true but what is the trend.

Seems like twice a week they have a killing or a sex crime. I read Lonely Planet on Pattaya a few years ago. They said skip it unless you are looking for a hedonistic life style.

When we look at there list we should remember they are not looking for that lifestyle. If they were the list would be quite different. :D

What about Pattaya and Bangkok?:whistling:

Pattaya may actually make such a list list within 5 years or so. I see the beginnings of trendiness.

Bangkok I think is a lost cause.

Trend true but what is the trend.

Seems like twice a week they have a killing or a sex crime. I read Lonely Planet on Pattaya a few years ago. They said skip it unless you are looking for a hedonistic life style.

When we look at there list we should remember they are not looking for that lifestyle. If they were the list would be quite different. :D

You're not completely right.

LP has trashed Pattaya in the past, but they most certainly do not always ignore pleasure centers. To wit, this years number three choice, way ahead of Chiang Mai.

3. Tel Aviv

Tel Aviv is the total flipside of Jerusalem, a modern Sin City on the sea rather than an ancient Holy City on a hill. Hedonism is the one religion that unites its inhabitants. There are more bars than synagogues, God is a DJ and everyone’s body is a temple. Yet, scratch underneath the surface and Tel Aviv, or TLV, reveals itself as a truly diverse 21st-century Mediterranean hub. By far the most international city in Israel, Tel Aviv is also home to a large gay community, a kind of San Francisco in the Middle East. Thanks to its university and museums, it is also the greenhouse for Israel’s growing art, film and music scenes.

When Joe Cummings used to write the Lonely Planet Thailand - long ago - he used to tell travelers to avoid certain hotels because of the large numbers of ladies of the night.

What wonderful hotels they were. It was really helpful information. :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

"If Chiang Mai were a person, it would be Bob Dylan. With a history dating back further than anyone can remember" was Bob Dylan alive when they built the wall? or did they get it mixed up with Pink Floyd!

They are writing for a young backpacker crowd, after all. In the larger view, any person alive today is really just a baby. Compared to a redwood tree.

When Joe Cummings used to write the Lonely Planet Thailand - long ago - he used to tell travelers to avoid certain hotels because of the large numbers of ladies of the night.

What wonderful hotels they were. It was really helpful information. :D

He was responsible for people flocking to Pattaya! wink.gif