I Need A Hernia Operation

Suttisan

Hi folks,

I need a hernia operation, I went to a government hospital in BAngkok yesterday and they said it would cost 30k. It seems a bit pricey to me, would this kind of op in a private hospital be a lot more expensive? my BUPA covers me for up to 20k.

thanks for any advice.

Are you sure your BUPA covers only 20K? As there is virtually no surgery that can be had at that price these days, even at govt hospitals.

More likely you have 20K as the listed "surgical fee" but then also a major medical component. Call BUPA and get this clarified.

And yes, a private hospital will cost you more than 30K. Probably more than 50, even one that caters primarily to Thais.

Are you sure your BUPA covers only 20K? As there is virtually no surgery that can be had at that price these days, even at govt hospitals.

More likely you have 20K as the listed "surgical fee" but then also a major medical component. Call BUPA and get this clarified.

And yes, a private hospital will cost you more than 30K. Probably more than 50, even one that caters primarily to Thais.

Agreed I had a hernia repair op at Bangkok Rayong hospital about 4.5 years ago and was 68,000....care received was excellent couldnt fault it....

Thanks for the advice, actually it looks like I'm only covered for 10k. 68 is very expensive. I think I may fly home and have it done there for free, it may mean staying for a few months though, or do the cheaper government hospital option. Anyway, thank you for the comments.

What policy do you have? I am not aware of any BUPA policy that has such low coverage.

Note that the amount covered for an operation is listed in several parts, not just one category, in the benefits schedule.

Hi Sheryl and OP,

can I ask what the symptoms were like? After I run or play sport I get a bit of a bulge in the pubic region (no jokes on bulge pun please) left side, that I can sort of push back in, not painful.

My other guess is that when I run I am not using proper support and I wonder if its not tissue inflammation as I injured the area diving in hard sand playing beach volleyball about three months ago, unsure.

Thanks GOM

What policy do you have? I am not aware of any BUPA policy that has such low coverage.

Note that the amount covered for an operation is listed in several parts, not just one category, in the benefits schedule.

Hi Sheryl and OP,

can I ask what the symptoms were like? After I run or play sport I get a bit of a bulge in the pubic region (no jokes on bulge pun please) left side, that I can sort of push back in, not painful.

My other guess is that when I run I am not using proper support and I wonder if its not tissue inflammation as I injured the area diving in hard sand playing beach volleyball about three months ago, unsure.

Thanks GOM

That happened to me twice now. I had one operation back home and one here at Bangkok Hospital about 5 years ago.

The treatment here was excellent. I went in one morning, had the operation and went home the next morning.

Cost 60.000 Baht but my insurance paid for it all.

I don't think the surgical fees were so high but there were a whole lot of other expenses.