Acer Ferrari 4005 Wlmi Gprs Set Up

pluto_manibo

I was at the Acer retailer trying to set up a gprs modem, a Salomon(sic!), then another one, and a Sony Ericsson, with a DTAC sim card. None of them would work after numerous tries and numerous modems. 2.5 hrs at the shop. Although the Ferrari is an amazing machine (although overpriced by 20,000 baht). The gprs issue was the deciding factor in my reluctance to purchase this laptop. They came to the conclusion that, since it is a relativily new and powerful machine with AMD Thurion chip, there are some compatibility issues....

Has anyone purchased this model (Acer Ferrari 4005WLMI), and has had the same problems with GPRS or any other problems....ie: Fan too loud, overheating , dead pixels etc.....

The design is amazing and the performance was pretty smooth from what I have seen..Definitely a gamers machine, but at the higher price range of the market, they should of made sure it ran smoothly with other accessories etc.....

"All that glitters is not gold!"

Xp 64 problem I think.... :o

I have the sony ericson gprs edge pcmcia card and a few of the sierra wireless cards and a axen gprs card all running on a HP notebook with amd64 cpu. Especially the hutch cdma with the sierra wireless card is great. But also the GPRS cards work.

However I do not run windows, i run Linux, to be exact "SuSE 9.3 64 bit".

There was a little manual configuration needed, obviously none of the vendors did supply a linux driver. But the standard Linux stuff can handle it.

So if it works fine with Linux, but not with Windows, what does that tell you?

Yes, dump windows :D

BTW, In general this is not a 64 bit issue, but an issue of incompetence at the installing guys or of a lousy driver from the vendor. Others having the acer ferrari do report working PCMCIA cards, even on windows.

On Linux, to get it working, I can check the success on each phase of the hardware and software configuration. I guess that could be similar with windows. But if the guys just install and do not understand what is happening, of course they cannot see where it is stuck, and of course also not fix it.

BTW, In general this is not a 64 bit issue, but an issue of incompetence at the installing guys or of a lousy driver from the vendor. Others having the acer ferrari do report working PCMCIA cards, even on windows.

I agree with this statement. I believe it was due to incompetence. There loss, although they were angry I walked off after 3 hrs of unsuccessful attempts. No one really has much experience with this new AMD Thurion xp64 chip....Although it was the official Acer dealership I went to :o

Might have to try Linux then....Thanks for the update :D

.... No one really has much experience with this new AMD Thurion xp64 chip....Although it was the official Acer dealership I went to  :o [/b]

yes, they do not know what they are selling :D

At least Acer offers it, the others do not even offer their amd64 notebooks in LOS.

I think for the problem here it is not the CPU, but the 64 bit architecture on the mainboard. The CPU itself is not involved, it does not matter if it is the Thurion 64 or the Opteron or another 64 bit AMD.

The PCMCIA cards do talk with the motherboard using I/O ports and memory ranges. These are different in a 64 bit architechture than in a 32 bit architecture. 64 bit has much wider ranges. Then there are the chips controlling these ports and memory ranges, and the communication using them. These chips would be the critical part here, not the cpu itself.

In my Linux I have to add these wider ranges in the pcmcia configuration file. In windows you usually install the vendor's driver, and if that does not know / use / accept these wider ranges, it will not work.

I could test the sony ericsson edge / gprs card on my HP amd64 notebook in windows, but then I would have to boot in windows, which I haven't done for a very long time :D

Might have to try Linux then....Thanks for the update  :D

Please be aware that there are many Linux distributions, and the notebook support and also the 64 bit support is quite different. For a notebook, especially with 64 bit, i strongly recommend to take SuSE Linux 9.3.

I got it anyway, because it is a powerful machine, looks good, and there was nothing as powerful to compete with it at the It mall....I checked the pricing, and for once Thailand is priced competetivily, the price was close to the same compared to europe, america...You must negociate though!

In regards to gprs modem drivers, I have been informed that it has been done in Thailand on the 4005 without glitches, as Yuyi also rightly stated previously. I think that in due time, some of the software installations will be made possible as companies release drivers for the platform (I have not been able to install Norton anti-virus).

Notebook shoppers, should consider this machine, if they want good graphics(great for gaming), fast processor, large hdd, sleek looks and long market lifecycle...