Chiang Mai Golf Buddies

BingoB

Hi Everyone, I just arrived in CM for a few months over the winter. I'm Irish, 39 YO and play off 9 and have my clubs with me. I'm looking to play quite a lot of golf so am looking for others. Please drop me a line if you fancy hooking up for a round.

All the best

Barry

Hi BingoB

You could join Chiang Mai golfers who play at Lanna GC every Monday and other courses during the week. I do not know who the secretary is now but you could PM me and l will give you the telephone number of the handicap secretary who will give you details,

Bingo - playing off of 9 you're probably best off joining The Royal League (www.theroyalleague.com). They are based out at Highlands and play a comp every Thursday. There are also regular games out there virtually every weekday at differing times.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with OOB again. Some of those social league players are real hacks. Royal league has some ok players, and most play better than bogey golf.

As an aside, is anyone looking for a match, I'd like to play about 1k baht/hole? No handicaps. Str8 up match play. Chiang mai highlands, black tees.

Agree with OOB again. Some of those social league players are real hacks. Royal league has some ok players, and most play better than bogey golf.

As an aside, is anyone looking for a match, I'd like to play about 1k baht/hole? No handicaps. Str8 up match play. Chiang mai highlands, black tees.

A little advice from a Chiang Mai hack.

Gambling is illegal in Thailand and statements like yours above could affect your visa if you are retired as the illegal earnings would constitute income.I expect instigating gambling could also be a no win situation.

Enjoy your golf.

Gambling is illegal in Thailand and statements like yours above could affect your visa if you are retired as the illegal earnings would constitute income.I expect instigating gambling could also be a no win situation.

Enjoy your golf.

You sound really intelligent. Harvard, or Yale?

Just in case you didn't pick up on the sarcasm, which I'd BET 5k baht you didn't, I'm not impressed with your response. You must be offended I called the Social League a bunch of hacks. Sorry, but they are. I don't really see a UK single digit handicap enjoying himself with a bunch of guys that can't break 100 as much as he would with

the better golfers in the Royal League.

Now, for those of you who aren't as slow, I'll try to explain why I'm interested in having a wager going... Part of getting better at golf is improving your performance under pressure. A way to do this, is to have a wager with your playing partners. Whatever amount your comfortable with is up to you. For me, 1K baht/hole would offer a nice sting if I lost, and therefore, would keep me focused on each shot. AFAIK, the USGA actually recognizes that small wagers on the course help increase the fun and experience for those playing golf.

Here is a cool link to reseach done by Scientific American : Sci American Link

Also note, that as golf is a skill game, in which players skill level affects the outcome so wagering on it, would not be considered gambling. On the Hooter's Tour, players pony up their entry fees, and that is the purse which they play for. It is a skill game, not gambling.

And yes, I realize I'm only likely to get taken up on this offer by people who are far better than me. I don't care though, I don't think that many people around can average beating me by much more than 6 holes.

Enjoy your golf.

You sound really intelligent. Harvard, or Yale?

Just in case you didn't pick up on the sarcasm, which I'd BET 5k baht you didn't, I'm not impressed with your response. You must be offended I called the Social League a bunch of hacks. Sorry, but they are. I don't really see a UK single digit handicap enjoying himself with a bunch of guys that can't break 100 as much as he would with

the better golfers in the Royal League.

Now, for those of you who aren't as slow, I'll try to explain why I'm interested in having a wager going... Part of getting better at golf is improving your performance under pressure. A way to do this, is to have a wager with your playing partners. Whatever amount your comfortable with is up to you. For me, 1K baht/hole would offer a nice sting if I lost, and therefore, would keep me focused on each shot. AFAIK, the USGA actually recognizes that small wagers on the course help increase the fun and experience for those playing golf.

Here is a cool link to reseach done by Scientific American : Sci American Link

Also note, that as golf is a skill game, in which players skill level affects the outcome so wagering on it, would not be considered gambling. On the Hooter's Tour, players pony up their entry fees, and that is the purse which they play for. It is a skill game, not gambling.

And yes, I realize I'm only likely to get taken up on this offer by people who are far better than me. I don't care though, I don't think that many people around can average beating me by much more than 6 holes.

:whistling:

To put it into some sort of context...

• Gambling absolutely is permitted and legal in Thailand but only where the State operates as the bookmaker, such as horse racing and the lottery.
  • Person to person gambling is not legal but the local populace engage in it as if it were.
  • Gambling occurs in all walks of life and is prevalent and openly visible in all competitive events such as (but not limited to) football, boxing, Thai boxing, chicken fighting, golf and the infamous 'boch daeng' card schools.
  • It is not at all unusual to be caught behind a group of senior police or army officers on the golf course who are betting several thousand baht per hole (why else would they spend so long over 1 foot putts?). If you see military police on guard at the clubhouse, it is a sure sign that the big knobs are out there...and they don't play merely for bragging rights...

So - is it wise to come on an Internet forum offering wagers? Probably not...but then how else do you let others know (particularly off the blacks at Highlands for a grand a hole)?

Will it be detrimental to a retirement visa? No...firstly you are assuming that the guy is a net winner. Secondly, if foreigner-foreigner gambling in private on a golf course is a crime that the police wish to pursue, the punishment for the offence would be far more serious than a retiree generating a little income.

Larry Bird what do you play off? :jap:

The back tees...

Seriously - if somebody offers to play off scratch, asking them their handicap is kind of irrelevant. If he says '15', are you any more likely to take him up on the bet...?

Re-gambling:

We are foreigners,if you think it is OK to do what the locals do, police or otherwise, despite what they do is illegal? Then fill your boots!

Possibly one of the ways to find a one way ticket out of Thailand should you ever cross any of the influential locals.

And as for posting on TV for partners in crime, good job we don't use our real names. :)

Am I being a sourpuss-possibly? Am I being realistic,most probably?

Thailand, what do you think the chances are of two farangs getting in any sort of trouble for: agreeing to play a match, being discrete about it, playing once or twice, and settling their wager like gentlemen?

Exactly, what do you think the chances are?

Thailand, what do you think the chances are of two farangs getting in any sort of trouble for: agreeing to play a match, being discrete about it, playing once or twice, and settling their wager like gentlemen?

Exactly, what do you think the chances are?

The odds you mean. :)

I will leave that gamble to you and those that wish to risk doing it!

Probably better not to post your intent on the biggest and most read expat forum in Asia though don't you think?

Edited by Thailand