New Cbr 150 Versus Old Model

jbeck

Hopefully, someone can really describe in detail why the new one is superior to the old one.

This means you owned the older CBR as well.

Acceleration, top speed, handling, riding position, (we know about the looks), braking, engine characteristics (fuel injection).

Not someone who's a beginner or a first time bike owner.

can you comment from EXPERIENCE ONLY. PLEASE?

All the guesswork has already been done elsewhere on this forum.

Hopefully someone who drives the bike "somewhere" near it's limits???

thanks!

• 1 year later...

Sorry for the intrusion and my unnecessary comment, but if you ever get one of those hot looking, and I do mean looking, rice burners and you're racing along at top speed, don't be ashamed to smile as I pass you on my stock Honda wave 125.

Have a wave 125 I and a CBR150 all things being the same. the CBR had double the power and a higher top speed

I use one around town and taking my daughter to school and I take the other out in the country side to have some fun

The old cbr was a brilliant little bike... Top speed for.me when I rode it was 135/145 kmph, not very hard acceleration, but good a decade ago. It is very flickable- slim and easy to throw around corners due to the small mass...

Comfort was/ is a nono- that said I did ride it from NST to Phuket 350km an back again the next day- I walked funny in phuket. - mate was my pillion to phuket but he took the bus home...

I think the new engine is far superior to the old one- but I would not buy the 150 today as the 250 outshines them both, and not.for.much more money!

Frankly I would not compare the two bikes as they are very different even if it says cbr on both.

Onless you live in a very big city, and filter alot with a track close by to ride on, I would say that the new cbr is bigger, faster, more comfortable, more user friendly, better looking on the eyes, and fun (easy to jump on for a longer trip)... But hey- the old cbr was brilliant when it was launched... I still remember the day i picke up my red cbr 150 back in 2001...

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect App

The newer one is more stable at speed and is faster than the old one. But the old one at the moment can be made faster than the new one.

The old one had a 28.5mm carb, the new one has a 30mm throttle body. The stator on the new one also has more points for higher output.

My old CBR 150 was as fast as a CBR 250 after modifications and the rev limiter removed, removing the rev limiter allowed shifting at higher rpms, which resulted in less rpm drop when shifting up. But driving it that fast was a stressful experience.

The latest model old style had an emissions canister tied into the fuel system (charcoal can) to filter fuel vapors and had vacuum lines tied into the gas tank and carb for vacuum. This made it harder to modify the latest model old style cbr 150, if switching carbs. Some just replace the fuel valve with one from an NSR 150. Good luck finding one.

Doing these things will make the old bike faster than the new bike:

1) remove paper element from air filter

2) velocity stack in airbox inlet

3) 1 centimeter cut off snorkel, divider removed

4) PAIR control valve at top of cylinder plugged

5) Vacuum for PAIR control valve plugged at intake port (robs air velocity)

6) After market CDI with rev limiter removed

7) Bored PE28 carb to 31.5 mm jets 115/35, adjustable needle 2nd position from bottom, but i honestly think the stock carb is good enough. You'll gain about 15 feet in a drag race, but overall performance is the same. The stock carb has an oval shaped intake side hole, so it flows better.

8) Synthetic oil or Castrol with Trizone worked well for me

9) NGK CR8EGP or CR8IX plugs, gapped to 1.0mm

10)Tsukigi KRK silencer (gain low, lose 5kph off the top worth the trade off)

11) Gutted cat if air filter work has been done.

12) Sparkplug wire replaced with 10 gauge car audio power wire

13) Old style headlight switch to cut load from alternator

14) rerouted crankcase breather

15) clutch must be adjusted just right

16) rubber carb manifold on cylinder side trimmed to match size of intake tract.

Top speed 155kph tucked, acceleration almost twice as fast.

had stage 1 cams, crank pin, smoothed valve ports and bigger piston in another bike, but not much difference from mods listed above.

Just1voice has had both bikes

Edited by KRS1
  • Like 1

When I road the old CBR, one time to, I felt like I was riding a bicycle. It was light and fit through anything little space while I was filtering through the traffic. I hated that when ever I opened up the throttle the bike roaring/screaming and not going anywhere fast. The most embarricing part was when other scooter driver would turn there head and stair at me.

the major difference is the price.

I own a cbr150 which i have problems with the cams every 6 months after the mods as bike components are not that strong - no rev limiter.

I have done also a great deal of mods.

There is less wind protection on old cbr150 and it is comfortable for city driving. I think one of the best bike for city slalom.

new cbr150 offer more wind protection, updated tech, better mileage, it is a better all-rounder. But it is heavier.

But yes, just pay 20,000 thb more and get a cbr250.

all 5 of my cbr 150's have been bulletproof, never had a cam problem.

i changed the cams three times and now the engine is not working because of this as well - also carb pin is inside the engine now clap2.gif - I need to get it restorated as all the plastic parts are screwed up while waiting and some rust is here and there, some fix is needed for nsr single sided pro arm and i need new springs for upside down forks as well. It will cost around 20,000 - 25.000 thb to re build it again for a nice ride.

and the funny thing, i changed the stock cam even with a sport model but still the same problem. (but i rode it like hell always around redline - non stop cruising to Pattaya and Hua Hin as well many times:) and cams created problems mostly after long cruising.

maybe my bike in an unlucky one i am not sure.

still i cannot forget my old cbr 150 and for sure i will get it fixed as my heart is sad when i see her in the corner nearly crying for a ride again:(( ( am i too emotional??) anyway, let me post her old photos for some ideas on what can be done with old cbr150 and to remember her. salute!

topic wise, if you have only 30 k in your pocket, just go for the old cbr150, if you have 80 k just go for cbr250 but not 150 as teh price difference between a 150 and 250 is nearly nothing now.

still, if you are fixed for 150 only, new model definitely will not let you down anyway.

post-114750-0-42559900-1345534953.jpg

post-114750-0-74525200-1345534988_thumb.

post-114750-0-94411900-1345535013_thumb.

post-114750-0-67095700-1345535088_thumb.

post-114750-0-64948400-1345535112_thumb.

There's nothing wrong with your cams,either your shims are the wrong size, your cam bearings are seizing or your oil passages that lubricate the cam are clogged. Whoever is working on your bike doesn't know what they're doing. It may be your cam chain tensioner, but its not your cams fault.

The carb needle breaking off is a common problem, easy fix is to replace the needle for 200 baht, then....If, its a small piece thats broken off just start the bike and let it run with the broken needle in the combustion chamber, after 30 minutes it will disintegrate.

If its longer than 0.5 centimeter you have to pull the head.

You have to pull the head to fix it anyway, so you might as well try starting it up with the broken needle in there first anyway. Its a gamble but you might win. Ive won twice and lost once.

There's nothing wrong with your cams,either your shims are the wrong size, your cam bearings are seizing or your oil passages that lubricate the cam are clogged. Whoever is working on your bike doesn't know what they're doing. It may be your cam chain tensioner, but its not your cams fault.

The carb needle breaking off is a common problem, easy fix is to replace the needle for 200 baht, then....If, its a small piece thats broken off just start the bike and let it run with the broken needle in the combustion chamber, after 30 minutes it will disintegrate.

If its longer than 0.5 centimeter you have to pull the head.

You have to pull the head to fix it anyway, so you might as well try starting it up with the broken needle in there first anyway. Its a gamble but you might win. Ive won twice and lost once.

i lost once to needle as wellbiggrin.png this is the second one.

Regarding the cams, definitely it was the cams. I am sure but i will let them check what you are saying here as well for the next restoration, i noted them. Thanks for it. but all i know, we checked all these before.

In Thailand no mechanic knows what they are doing so it is normal but i let them do everything under my supervision, it means i watch them what they are doing all the time and if they are doing something not proper, i interfere on their work and tell the to do it proper. Still, i am not a mechanic. i like to ride bikes not fixing them - that is why i bought the new cbr250 biggrin.png - , i am working and i have no time to go under a bike.