Local Football Teams

iloveny

There used to be or may even still be a team called the Farangatangs, I think you could find information at the UN Irish pub about them. Not sure if they are still playing though. If your interested in watching the Thai league, Chiang Mai are at home in the big match of the weekend on sunday at the 700 year stadium.

Edited by thaimiller

There used to be or may even still be a team called the Farangatangs, I think you could find information at the UN Irish pub about them. Not sure if they are still playing though. If your interested in watching the Thai league, Chiang Mai are at home in the big match of the weekend on sunday at the 700 year stadium.

I'll look into it, will definitely try catch a Thai league game at some stage, what does the standard compare to in England say?

I'll look into it, will definitely try catch a Thai league game at some stage, what does the standard compare to in England say?

Probably the same as division 2 in england, so fourth tier. Its getting better every week though.

Probably the same as division 2 in england, so fourth tier. Its getting better every week though.

:thumbsup: Great comment Thaimiller!

I have the same feeling.

In our countries every neighbourhood, every factory, every school, every

anything has its own team (not to mention the division in catholic, protestant

or 'nothing'). Almost every kid has the possibility to join a team.

You could say that football is anchored in general social life.

Here people have been looking at the attractive English, Welsh and Scottish

football (uh ...) and been gambling on it as its players wouldn't risk their

rewarding career for a simple Porsche.

And now, since two years, things changed in Thailand. Even Thai television

starts to give attention to Thai football. So there is a possibility that

the gamblers will turn to Thai football.

When the circus really starts, there will only be one question to ask:

do you have to be above average lenght to show high quality talent?

Like these Americans who by hand try to put a ball in a high placed bottomless

basket. If the ball falls trough the basket they have a point. I think that is

a sport for tall people, at least a sport where tall people have an advantage

above small people even if the last are 'better'.

A German coach and former player of Hannover told me that Thai football

would be sixth tier in Germany.

Seen the way England lost of Germany I think that both Thaimiller and his estimates

come close to the truth.

Chiang Rai has a foreigner team. They mostly play 7 to 7. It is an initiative

of a son of Albion (to avoid this English, Welsh or Scottish thing).

Limbo :yohan:

Photo:

Simon Tahamata, of Moluccan (Indonesian thus Asian) origin, here together with

Ruud Krol in Ajax' and the Dutch national team's glory days. He was coach of the

youth of Ajax but moved a year ago to Saudi Arabia for the same, but this time

probably more rewarding, function.

. . . . . . . post-6305-0-31311500-1289115103_thumb.jp

OP, I'm not sure of your gender, but FYI I found out when I asked to join that the Farangutans team is open to all farang MEN. If you are not of that variety, then you can go to the CMU fields every Sunday around 5 p.m., where there is a large group of expat players.

• 3 weeks later...

OP, I'm not sure of your gender, but FYI I found out when I asked to join that the Farangutans team is open to all farang MEN. If you are not of that variety, then you can go to the CMU fields every Sunday around 5 p.m., where there is a large group of expat players.

Forgot about this till now, i am male, do you have a contact for the Farangutans team?

• 3 weeks later...

Forgot about this till now, i am male, do you have a contact for the Farangutans team?

Asked at the U.N.Irish Pub and was given an e-mail address of:

[email protected]

This pub seems to be the expat sporting base for Rugby Union (Suas/Tigers), Cricket (CMCC/Chiang Mai Cricket Club) & the aforementioned Farangutan football team.

Are these games still on @ CMU 5pm?

Are these games still on @ CMU 5pm?

Apparently, they are now on Tuesday nights. Here is the blurb from the facebook page:

Informal soccer scrimmage for all! TUESDAYS 5:15 PM @ the "Nah Mor" fields. Right at the front gate of Chiang Mai University on Huay Kaew Road. Anyone can come, girls and guys, newbies or seasoned pros as long as you just want to have a good time running around. We play on a small field set up with cones so all fitness levels can enjoy. Join this group for updates and join us on the field!

• 1 year later...