Waving

Nawtier

Maybe the bikies are worried about losing their balance?

Lol....I just find it strange that the bikers will wave to each other....unknown persons to each toher....but if they stood next to each other in a que or at a restaurant....they would ignore each other.

What is with this false brothers in arms and all for one and one for all stuff ??

Bikies on the other hand are cool and know not to embarrass themselves.

Just like the Porsche wave or the Corvette wave; which is lifting the fingers of the left hand off the steering wheel. Not unsafe & you have to be looking for it.

I wave at cyclists on their road bikes. I wave at big rigs & buses that give me 3 inches to squirt through.

Just like the Porsche wave or the Corvette wave; which is lifting the fingers of the left hand off the steering wheel. Not unsafe & you have to be looking for it.

I wave at cyclists on their road bikes. I wave at big rigs & buses that give me 3 inches to squirt through.

Traditionally, Jeep owners would wave to each other to.

Lol....I just find it strange that the bikers will wave to each other....unknown persons to each toher....but if they stood next to each other in a que or at a restaurant....they would ignore each other.

Wrong. When I see someone in riding gear or with a full face helmet I often do talk to them, find out what they are riding, (best way to learn about bikes is talk to the owners) ask where they are from and where they are going if they appear to be on a road trip, etc. I have had on many occasions people approach me and do the same. Buy a bike and you will understand.

What's your fascination with this anyway? Just enjoy trying to wind up bikers?

And what's a "bikie?"

And what's a "bikie?"

Seriously ?

You are a biker and you do not know what a Bikie is ?

Strange.....for sure the Bikies would not wave to you...but bet you are furiously waving back and looking in your rear vision mirror to check.

I have never witnessed people that drive the same car do it.....I owned a porsche and never waved to other porsche drivers.

I own a 4wd now and do not wave to other 4wd owners.

I can understand classic and vintage car drivers doint it, they have the same interests and there are not hundreds of classic or vintage cars on the road to wave at every 3 seconds.

Why do Bikers feel the need to be part of this waving club at strangers...ones you would never bother to speak with normally.

For Kwakas benefit.....don't forget the 'A' when you need to write it proper like....but I have owned bikes in the past.....never felt the need to be part of a mythical gang or club though.

I also never wore spandex under a leather full length suit....especially in the tropics....must be very uncomfortable to look so cool.

And what's a "bikie?"

Seriously ?

Strange.....for sure the Bikies would not wave to you...but bet you are furiously waving back and looking in your rear vision mirror to check.

I have never witnessed people that drive the same car do it.....I owned a porsche and never waved to other porsche drivers.

I can understand classic and vintage car drivers doint it, they have the same interests and there are not hundreds of classic or vintage cars on the road to wave at every 3 seconds.

Why do Bikers feel the need to be part of this waving club at strangers...ones you would never bother to speak with normally.

For Kwakas benefit.....don't forget the 'A' when you need to write it proper like....but I have owned bikes in the past.....never felt the need to be part of a mythical gang or club though.

I also never wore spandex under a leather full length suit....especially in the tropics....must be very uncomfortable to look so cool.

Judging by your posts here and elsewhere, you don't strike me as a person who would ever wave to anyone, so that explains that. Thaivisa seems to be full of people like that. Bitter for one reason or another.

Bikie is not a term used in the states. It appears it is an Australian term. I've never lived in Australia, and this is a Thai forum.

I should have taken RusticCharms advice for once:

Dont-Feed-the-Trolls.png

Ask the Hells Angels in the States if they know what a Bikie is then......i am sure they will have heard it before.

In the outback of Oz, when you drive for sometimes hours without passing another car, it was customary to give a little wave, acknowledgement to another driver in an isolated area.

But what I am enquiring about is not the same as this, it is why you feel the need to wave to a completely unkown biker on the road as you pass them....yet you would not have anything to do with them normally if they were next to you in any other situation.

Why the false comradery and brothers in arms stuff...thats all i am asking.

If you have no idea...feel free not to answer again with your troll remarks or standard bitter individual remarks.

And what's a "bikie?"

Seriously ?

I don't know what a Bikie is please enlighten me

Also don't know of any bikes with rear vision mirror

Ask the Hells Angels in the States if they know what a Bikie is then......i am sure they will have heard it before.

In the outback of Oz, when you drive for sometimes hours without passing another car, it was customary to give a little wave, acknowledgement to another driver in an isolated area.

But what I am enquiring about is not the same as this, it is why you feel the need to wave to a completely unkown biker on the road as you pass them....yet you would not have anything to do with them normally if they were next to you in any other situation.

Why the false comradery and brothers in arms stuff...thats all i am asking.

If you have no idea...feel free not to answer again with your troll remarks or standard bitter individual remarks.

In the UK it is not unusual to nod your head to an oncoming biker has an acknowledgement for being a fellow BIKER.Not to much waving going on.The only acknowlegement I,d give you though would be two fingers.

Edited by spud1

In Aussie (or Strine) a biker is someone who rides a motorbike, a Bikie is someone who rides a motorbike and part of an outlaw Bikie gang, you know the ones with 1% tats in the US

Edited by waza

In Aussie (or Strine) a biker is someone who rides a motorbike, a Bikie is someone who rides a motorbike and part of an outlaw Bikie gang, you know the ones with 1% tats in the US

That explains that. I know for a fact that the Red and Whites do not use the term in the US. In fact, using a diminutive like bikie to a real biker in the US would be offensive :)

.The only acknowlegement I,d give you though would be two fingers.

Really....why is that ?

I am simply asking why you have this false sense of belonging to other bikers when you would ordinarily not give them the time of day if you passed them on the footpath.

And don't forget, I owned bikes as a youngster.....so not adverse to the riding of bikes, but this dress in full length leathers in this heat and look the part and waving and such is just pretencious.

I have this photo of a really cool farang dude dressed as such leading a group of Thai kids on their little mopeds....and waving....quite funny really.

.The only acknowlegement I,d give you though would be two fingers.

Really....why is that ?

I am simply asking why you have this false sense of belonging to other bikers when you would ordinarily not give them the time of day if you passed them on the footpath.

And don't forget, I owned bikes as a youngster.....so not adverse to the riding of bikes, but this dress in full length leathers in this heat and look the part and waving and such is just pretencious.

I have this photo of a really cool farang dude dressed as such leading a group of Thai kids on their little mopeds....and waving....quite funny really.

Only a retard wouldn't know the reason for wearing leathers.No matter what the weather conditions are.

In the states if you called one of those 1%er guys a "bikie" I'm pretty sure you would get the sh#t kicked out of ya :lol:

What is this Aussie on about :blink: (referring to the op)

Edited by Kilgore Trout

No bikes have rear vision mirrors ?

Thats interesting.

What bikes dont? Its illegal to ride a bike without them in Aus.

In some places (like the US) they are called side view mirrors as they are mounted to the sides (like on cars) and a rearview mirror is mounted in the center (not possible on bikes.)

from wiki

A rear-view mirror (or sometimes, rear-vision mirror in British English) is a mirror in automobiles and other vehicles, designed to allow the driver to see rearward through the vehicle's backlight (rear windscreen).

In cars, the rear-view mirror is usually affixed to the top of the windscreen on a swivel mount allowing it to be freely rotated. In the past, some cars had the rear-view mirror mounted on top of the dashboard. Rear-view mirrors are designed to break away to minimize injury to occupants who may be thrown against it in a collision.

For motorcycles and bicycles, the rear-view mirrors are usually mounted to the handlebars, and there are usually two of them, so they are variously referred to as "rear-view mirrors", "side-view mirrors", "side mirrors", or simply "mirrors".

Edited by jdinasia

Yeah, I wouldn't call a 1%er a "bikie" in the states.

I can't honestly believe this needs explaining....bikers wear leather for protection. It acts like a second layer of very tough skin in case of an accident. True, some "bikies" as you call them wear leather as more of a fashion thing, and less of a safety thing.

I think the OP is over thinking the waving thing. There is nothing covert or Machiavellian about it. People with similar hobbies relate to each other, and waving acknowledges that. When I started riding sport bikes in the states, my very experienced riding buddy said that the wave was an acknowledgment saying "I see you." since motorcycles are often not seen by other road users, causing accidents. Int he states I would have to pretty much anything on two wheels. Bicyclists using the road, mopeds, it didn't matter.

From wiki, the origin of 1%ers. Kind of interesting.

Outlaw motorcycle club members can be distinguished by a 1% patch worn on the colors. This is claimed to be a reference a comment by the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) in which they stated that 99% of motorcyclists were law-abiding citizens, implying that the last one percent were outlaws. The comment, supposedly a response to the Hollister riot in 1947, [24][25] is denied by the AMA - who claim to have no record of such a statement to the press, and that the story is a misquotation. [26] As a result, outlaw motorcycle clubs and their members are commonly referred to as "one percenters". They are also known as Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs or OMGs according to the ATF.[27]

source: Wiki: One Percenter.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

No bikes have rear vision mirrors ?

Thats interesting.

What bikes dont? Its illegal to ride a bike without them in Aus.

In some places (like the US) they are called side view mirrors as they are mounted to the sides (like on cars) and a rearview mirror is mounted in the center (not possible on bikes.)

from wiki

A rear-view mirror (or sometimes, rear-vision mirror in British English) is a mirror in automobiles and other vehicles, designed to allow the driver to see rearward through the vehicle's backlight (rear windscreen).

In cars, the rear-view mirror is usually affixed to the top of the windscreen on a swivel mount allowing it to be freely rotated. In the past, some cars had the rear-view mirror mounted on top of the dashboard. Rear-view mirrors are designed to break away to minimize injury to occupants who may be thrown against it in a collision.

For motorcycles and bicycles, the rear-view mirrors are usually mounted to the handlebars, and there are usually two of them, so they are variously referred to as "rear-view mirrors", "side-view mirrors", "side mirrors", or simply "mirrors".

Thanks that was my way of thinking biggrin.gif

Bikie sounds like chick talk or a term homosexuals would use.

You could email the Hells Angels and mention that.....make sure you use a proxy.

Speaking of the HA's....dod anyone read that book about the copper that went undercover with the HA's in America.....not to bright them boys and bet they were well pissed off at being made fools of.

It is well known that Bikers are the goodie 2 shoes riding their honda and yellow suzukis, whereas Bikies are the bad boys on the Harley's.

Bikers wave to each cos they need the feeling of being buddies with every other biker.....bikies are mature enough to be able to deal with life alone if necessary.

You could email the Hells Angels and mention that.....make sure you use a proxy.

Speaking of the HA's....dod anyone read that book about the copper that went undercover with the HA's in America.....not to bright them boys and bet they were well pissed off at being made fools of.

It is well known that Bikers are the goodie 2 shoes riding their honda and yellow suzukis, whereas Bikies are the bad boys on the Harley's.

Bikers wave to each cos they need the feeling of being buddies with every other biker.....bikies are mature enough to be able to deal with life alone if necessary.

Again, your use of "bikies" certainly wouldn't fly in the USA as you suggest. Not today, not 10 years ago, and not in the future. You claim to have been a rider, which might be possible I guess, but you certainly were not a rider in North America :)

Why don't Harley riders wave at sport bike riders?

Because they don't want to drop their tools.

How do you know you're riding a Harley?

but you certainly were not a rider in North America :)

North America...fortunately...is not the centre of the universe.

You put forth the argument about "Bikie" being used in N.A.

and you are wrong. The Red and Whites would not know the term and would find it offensive if used to describe them. (I am from a "closed state", where the Red and Whites moved in by patching over the Green and Whites (Brothers Fast.) and count a couple of them as friends.