Coughing & Spluttering In Krabi, But Not In Bangkok

simon43

I was in BKK for a week or two, no cough, all healthy. I return to Krabi for a few days, and within a few hours I'm coughing, with an irritating throat cough that kept me awake all night. This morning I returned to BKK and within a few hours my cough has gone.

I've always assumed that I would have a worst cough in the polluted BKK air, but now I'm beginning to see a trend here. I do have Aspergillosis (fungal infection in my lungs - no parrots involved). This infection last flared up when I was deep in rural Laos 3 months ago (think lots of trees and more trees).

So, is my Aspergillosis irritated/exacerbated when I'm in a rural environment? (This seems to make sense, actually). Am I better off renting a condo in BKK under the polluted freeway?

Learned opinion and comments are invited

Simon

Simon, I heard an interview tonight with someone from the asthma foundation here in Oz who noted that some asthmatics (though not all) have their condition triggered/exacerbated during thunderstorms, because pollen 'explodes' owing to a change in air pressure. This creates much smaller (and more dangerous) particles, which are virtually impossible for the lungs to expel. The question is, of course, whether there are more thunderstorms in the boondocks than in BKK. Sounds weird but my guess is that this will be the best explanation you'll get. I note that Sheryle hasn't responded. [Here in Sydney we have the very best informative talkback radio in the whole wide world, without a doubt]. Personally speaking, I haven't been upcountry, and I don't like BKK's air. Hence your query has me wondering as well. [i am awarre that that you aren't an asthmatic, but lung conditions generally are not well understood

Simon, I heard an interview tonight with someone from the asthma foundation here in Oz who noted that some asthmatics (though not all) have their condition triggered/exacerbated during thunderstorms, because pollen 'explodes' owing to a change in air pressure. This creates much smaller (and more dangerous) particles, which are virtually impossible for the lungs to expel. The question is, of course, whether there are more thunderstorms in the boondocks than in BKK. Sounds weird but my guess is that this will be the best explanation you'll get. I note that the resident [and extremely useful] expert hasn't responded. [Here in Sydney we have the very best informative talkback radio in the whole wide world, without a doubt]. Personally speaking, I haven't been upcountry, but don't like BKK's air, so your query has me wondering as well. .