Pineapple Growing

slappy

I am looking to try and grow pineapples for personal use and possible sell to locals. Has anyone any idea where i find Pineapple growers, so i can visit and buy pineapple plants ready for planting. I live in Khon Kaen province. And also what is the best way to grow them.

Thanks

Had 20 odd pinapples in Udon

they grew well i only added nitrogen dissolved with water once

never looked after them after that

slow growing like 12-18 months

not realy a cash crop

Not interested in it being a cash crop, just want to plant some on my farm. We are planting various fruits and vegetables beside our main crops of sugar cane, cassava and rice. we are trying to be self sufficent in growing many different things. also having different kinds of birds and animals on our farm. With being a teacher, me and my wife are turning our farm into a educational centre for the school children.

thanks

Here is what I did in my very very small scale garden. Buy whole pineapple. Cut tops (or the crown) off and just shallowly plant these tops in the ground....each crwon is a new plant so leave space in between the crowns. Eat the rest ofthe fruit! They are easy to plant out but takes ages to grow and bear fruit.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what I did in my very very small scale garden. Buy whole pineapple. Cut tops (or the crown) off and just shallowly plant these tops in the ground....each crwon is a new plant so leave space in between the crowns. Eat the rest ofthe fruit! They are easy to plant out but takes ages to grow and bear fruit.

Thanks Doggie

This is what i have been doing, with the exception when i go to our local markets and see a pieapple stall, i ask for the cut off pineapple tops and plant them.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Doggie

This is what i have been doing, with the exception when i go to our local markets and see a pieapple stall, i ask for the cut off pineapple tops and plant them.

Once you get new growth put a bit of mulch or partally composted compost on the lower leaves, I don't mean bury it under mulch. As this mulch/compost breaks down the pineapple will absorb nutrients through its leaves.

Un fortunately, my Father in law helpfully weeded my plot while I was away and all but 1 of my pineapples that I started 18 months before have gone :angry: I was expecting fruit this year.

Plant them close enough so they hold each other up when fruiting. This also helps to crowd out the weeds. Can't give you the exact spacing because it depends somewhat on the variety. Here in Hawaii I had the white, low acid variety with large fruit. most of my fruit averaged 10lbs (4 to 5 kilo)apiece.