Best Deal On Visa Run From Samui/phangan/surat

i don't particularly want to take the night boat to burma every time, so if anyone knows of another place i can go cheaply let me know! thx

Night boat to Burma? Which night boat would that be?

When I went there I took a boat from Samui at about 6am. Total cost 1250 baht. Is this the one you are referring to?

If you want to fly, then you have to pay.

Samui -Singapore - Samui will be 10000 baht

i don't particularly want to take the night boat to burma every time, so if anyone knows of another place i can go cheaply let me know! thx

my creative idea would be engage myself in gainful employment until i had the means to do what i needed to do.

Another creative idea would be to construct a canoe out of the waste packaging from the Burger King in Chaweng and then use my hands to paddle all the way to Khanom. Then simply hitch hike to Penang.

Cheap as chips bab. :o

i have gainful employment, smartass. i just don't want to spend a ton of money on a visa run.

my question is, what are the best visa run trips from this area? i know you can take the night boat from phangan to ranong and then to burma, but i don't like the nightboat, it creeps me out. most places i want to fly to have to bypass bangkok and tix are really expensive for 2 people (i always take my boyfriend). wondering if anyone else has suggestions that i don't know about?

girlx i don't particularly want to take the night boat to burma every time.

???????????

Mini bus, Surat Thani to Ranong 200 baht. Stamp out of Thailand, $5 visa at hut in Burma, back to Thailand. All in daylight hours. Whats the problem?

yeah, all that is after the night boat. i can stay in surat thani one night and skip that, but IS THERE ANYWHERE ELSE CHEAP AND CONVENIENT TO GET TO that other people go to for visa runs? or does nobody have imagination.

i have gainful employment, smartass. i just don't want to spend a ton of money on a visa run.

Yawn, another cheap charlie!!

If you cant afford to comply with the visa run requirements then why are you living on an island???

why dont you move to Nong Khai or something??????

What's the matter thaipwriter? Jealous? I live on an island and have been living here legally for the past 16 years. Does that make me a cheap charlie too? Try taking your stereotypes somewhere else.

Girlx, there are several options but none as fast or as cheap as Ranong. I hate the night boat too. (esp after the one to Koh Tao sank a few years ago and a local lady died on that one). What you could do would be to take the early morning car ferry, spend the night in Ranong (apparently there is a nice hotel there for really cheap, only drawback, I understand, is the smell of fish). I haven't done a visa run since 1989 so I am not much help but most of my friends do the Ranong run, it is really the closest. Nothing else is closer. Alternatively, you could go to Phuket and get a cheap flight to KL with airasia or nokair.

You could head to Malaysia via Hat Yia. It wouldn't save you any money, but there's more to do there. It depends on if you want to go and get back or go some place to hang while your off the island.

It also depends on what country your from. I always find it easier to get a 2 month tourist visa and then just pop over to Samui and get 30 days tacked on to that. Dbl entry, for a longer stay just means on visa run. But I never stay longer then 4 months at a time. US cit.

You could head to Malaysia via Hat Yia. It wouldn't save you any money, but there's more to do there. It depends on if you want to go and get back or go some place to hang while your off the island.

It also depends on what country your from. I always find it easier to get a 2 month tourist visa and then just pop over to Samui and get 30 days tacked on to that. Dbl entry, for a longer stay just means on visa run. But I never stay longer then 4 months at a time. US cit.

thanks for the more civil answers. :o i don't mind "hanging", it's nice to make a visa run more of an adventure than a chore (that is precisely why i always take my bf). i didn't think about hat yai, maybe i will try that. also i see now that 1-2-go flies from surat thani to bangkok for really cheap, so i can see my friends on bangkok and do the aranyaprathet run fairly easy from here as well.

sbk how do you manage to avoid visa runs? i thought you had to do it once a year even if you are married?

why are you so hung up on this "cheap charlie" thing? you want i should pay $400 for thai airways instead- would that make you feel better about me as a person? do you have anything constructive to say at all? yawn, indeed. some people (not naming names) need to do something with their lives rather than sit on a message board writing nasty replies to people they have never met.

thanks for the more civil answers. :D i don't mind "hanging", it's nice to make a visa run more of an adventure than a chore (that is precisely why i always take my bf). i didn't think about hat yai, maybe i will try that. also i see now that 1-2-go flies from surat thani to bangkok for really cheap, so i can see my friends on bangkok and do the aranyaprathet run fairly easy from here as well.

sbk how do you manage to avoid visa runs? i thought you had to do it once a year even if you are married?

Nope, just have to renew the visa once a year, I go to Samui and they send it up to Bangkok from there.

12go flies from Surat now? I'll check that out.

It isn't stingy or cheap charlie, it is frugal or careful. My Scots heritage coming through absolutely refuses to allow me to pay alot for something I can get for cheaper :D So, paying through the nose makes you a spendthrift and being careful makes me have more money in the bank to spend on useful things. :o

Hong Kong - here we come!

Wonderful news from Koh Samui's flag carrier, Bangkok Airways. They have announced that starting 4 April 2005 they will operate 3 flights a week directly between Koh Samui and Hong Kong. The non stop flight time will be 2 hours and 30 minutes and all flights will be operated by Boeing 717 jets with a 120 seat configuration. The flight days, timings and fares will be announced in a few weeks time. You will be able to check on www.bangkokair.com

An organised visa run from Samui picks you up from your resort at around 5am. You take the car ferry at 6am and return on the same at 1800hrs.. This takes an hour and a half. Breakfast and lunch is provided. ETA on Samui is 1930hrs. Cost is 1250 baht plus US$5 for visa fee.

Company name; Easy Way Travel

I'll dig out the number if you need it.

tix are really expensive for 2 people (i always take my boyfriend)

I'm Sorry for being rude earlier, I was feeling a bit naughty.

Are you saying that your boyfriend does not pay for his ticket? and you do???

You are definatley not a Cheap Charlie, I mistunderstood your plight.

I wish there were more girls out there like you! my girlfriend never pays for anything!..........because i dont let her! :o:D:D:D

Edited by Thaipwriter

my boyfriend is thai, just a poor boy from isaan. so though i am sure he would love to be buying plane tickets all the time, he simply does not make enough money. and since i make about 20 times what he does i pay for most things by default. he repays me in other ways. :o

• 2 weeks later...

Rent a Honda Phantom motorcycle, its easy to drive at 200cc's and stable on the road - cost about 300 B per day if you bargain. Ferry over to the mainland, drive to the border, lock your bike and boat over to Ranong. Its a fun trip, easy, and faster and more comfy than a mini-bus. And cheaper in the end.