Best Long Term Visa?

Hi all,

I am an argentinian (german too) here in Bangkok with my GF (Colombian), and my argentinian baby (60 days old). We are with tourist visa but want to stay. The question is:

I found some adds on the english newspapers offering:

Thai courses schools offer: Student visa

Lawyers: Offer Non inmigrant visas (I guess B Visa)

Which is the best choice and why? Can I trust they will not give me a fake visa?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First question is how long would you like to stay. ?

If less than a year and as tourist exploring Thailand best option is the tourist visa. They are free until March 2011 With them you can stay around 177 days or nearly 6 month. For this go to Vientiane (capital of Laos) you can go there very cheap by night train to Nongkai which is the closest thai city to Vientiane directly at the Thai-Lao Border from there you can take a taxi to the embassy and apply for a double entry tourist visa. You will get you visa the next day in the afternoon and you have enough time to take the night train back to Bangkok. Cost for the whole trip including hotel and transportation should be around 2500 - 3000 Baht. On the border you will be stamped with a permission to stay for 60 days which you can extend at Bangkok immigration (or your local Immigration office) for 30 days cost is 1900 Baht. Just 1 day before the visa expire make a border run to a neighboring country to activate the second entry. If you you are in Bangkok go to this link and check for my post for more information http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/414868-visa-run-bus-with-comfy-seats-lots-of-legroom/. One you come back to Thailand you will be again stamped for 60 days which you can again extend for 30 days at Bangkok immigration (or your local Immigration office) for another 1900 Baht. When your time is up start the whole process again by getting a new visa in Vientiane. You should be able to get 2 continue visas without problem but I wouldn't count on a third one so if you intend to stay longer after that better get and ED (education visa)

If you would like to stay longer for a year and you don't mind studding you may consider a education visa cost for the school varies starting from about 14.000 but to this you have to add the cost of the Visa which is not free plus the fact that you will have to attend some classes which by legal requirement is a minimum of 4 hours per week. There are some school which offer the necessary papers for you to get the visa without making you come to the lesson but this is illegal and should the school be caught you will also be in trouble. So meanwhile tourist visas are free and easy to obtain at Vientiane they are the better choice

Just a few Notes for you well being in Thailand

Do not overstay even one day because it may cause you problems in the future and you may end up in jail.

Do no try to work without work permit and the correct visa. Not even for one day and dont let you trick saying the will provide everything after probation period.

Following Thai law everything you do even unpaid can be considered us work so don't do it because special in your situation with a baby it is just not worth the risk

Do not try to argue with immigration officer or consulate staff it don't help anything and if you do it probably the will check your paper until the find a reason to reject your application.

If you need more help PM I speak spanish as well

Just a note set upon some VERY good advice. You child is not subject to visa issues of reporting or overstaying. Not untill age 7 are children subject to fines for overstay. You may find that such a request is made, if so politley remind the ofice that the child is under 7!

If you receive a visa or extension of stay from anyone other than a Royal Thai Consulate or immigration office it will be fake. They can provide the paperwork that may result in issue of a visa/extension but they can not issue them.

Schools can offer study of Thai (or other subjects) and extensions of stay every 90 days so would be my choice as you make payment for goods (education) that can be useful.

Just a note set upon some VERY good advice. You child is not subject to visa issues of reporting or overstaying. Not untill age 7 are children subject to fines for overstay. You may find that such a request is made, if so politley remind the ofice that the child is under 7!

children under 14 are not fined for overstay, but it is noted in their passport.

While it currently is no big deal, it might be in the future. Although it is always an option regarding children, it is of course best to stay legal.

Both Patong Language School and Walen School advertise on the homepage of this website stating they give a 'Free ED Visa'....considering a Non 'O' or 'B' cost over 5,000 baht for 12 months, getting a 'Free Visa' from either of these institutions must be a great choice.