New Sport For Phuket?

ScubaBuddha

I met a guy the other day that wants to start renting paddle boards here in Phuket. He has just received several he ordered in Bangkok. I have never tried nor seen this sport here in Phuket so I thought it would be helpful to post this here in case anyone was looking for a place to rent them. He also does instruction.

sups_march_09_11.jpg

stand-up-paddleboard.jpg

Charles Woodward

087-940-2998

And according to this link, Patrick at Phuket Windsurfing in Rawaii also does paddle-boards.

Phuket Windsurfing

+66 (0)87 8888 244

I think there is a guy renting them in Patong as well? If anyone knows, post the info here please.

Edited by LivinginKata
email address removed as per TV rules

It's great exercise for sure. I had a friend that wanted to bring in outrigger canoes from Hawaii and rent them but he ran into all sorts of obstacles about hanging his shingle at a beach where the locals feel that they needed a big cut to allow him to rent out canoes. Hopefully those in biz now have a work permit for this and are on good terms with the local beach boys that rent out surfboards etc.

looks like fun; I'd be prepared to make an utter fool of myself trying to catch a wave . . . if people laugh too much I'll just hit them with the paddle.

Far rather see these than jetskis; though use would we very seasonal there would be the months when it was too risky to lt inexperience people offshore.

It's great exercise for sure. I had a friend that wanted to bring in outrigger canoes from Hawaii and rent them but he ran into all sorts of obstacles about hanging his shingle at a beach where the locals feel that they needed a big cut to allow him to rent out canoes. Hopefully those in biz now have a work permit for this and are on good terms with the local beach boys that rent out surfboards etc.

Yeah, if he tried to rent them it would be through a Thai partner that already has "permission" to run business on the beach.

I would expect the protection fees, bribes and other expense would take most if not all of the profit. Environmentally friendly, healthy options are neither encouraged notr wanted by the local Phuket administration. Noisy jet skis and paragliding speedboats are what the tourists need, even if the tourists are interested in something else. The tourists will get what the thugs in charge decide.

A good stand up paddle setup is around 75K baht, so it'll take a lot of rentals to get that back, especially since the beach boys will be taking the Lion's share of the rental fee. I do think there is good potential if somehow you could have a whole canoe/stand up paddle, surfboard, belly board rental setup as they do in many places and resorts. Currently at the beaches I go to I may see a canoe or kayak or two and some old beat up surfboards, but that's about it.

A good stand up paddle setup is around 75K baht, so it'll take a lot of rentals to get that back, especially since the beach boys will be taking the Lion's share of the rental fee. I do think there is good potential if somehow you could have a whole canoe/stand up paddle, surfboard, belly board rental setup as they do in many places and resorts. Currently at the beaches I go to I may see a canoe or kayak or two and some old beat up surfboards, but that's about it.

There is at least one operation at Kata beach that has stand-up surfboard(s)/paddleboards for rent during the surfing season.

There's lot of surfboard rentals in Kata but where are the kayak/canoe rentals along with more than a couple of stand up paddle setups? What about all the other beaches? Even if the other beaches didn't have very good waves, there would still be punters wanting to give these various toys a go as it gets boring laying on a chair reading a book and going for an occasional dip.