Gecko Garden

rycmai

Saturday is a couple kinds of steaks. Portions are really big at Gecco.

Everyone says 'portions are really big' at their favourite place, but it never seems to be that way in reality.

However, Gekko does sound like a place worth checking out.

Everyone says 'portions are really big' at their favourite place, but it never seems to be that way in reality.

the Gekko is probably the cheapest restaurant in the city of Chiang Mai and good western food at Thai prices , I been their many times, try beef baguette with fries and its big and comes with salad 125B and on special night 95b (Mondays)

the Gekko is probably the cheapest restaurant in the city of Chiang Mai and good western food at Thai prices , I been their many times, try beef baguette with fries and its big and comes with salad 125B and on special night 95b (Mondays)

That's a good recommendation Rob. smile.gif

Why isn't it featured more on TV?.....maybe they should become a sponsor and then they could put all their specials, celebrations, party's etc, on here as many times as they like for everyone to see. With those sort of special deals and recommendations from people like yourself, I'm sure they would get quite a few punters.

Edited by uptheos

The specials aren't for dinner only, they're all day long.

FYI, I have no financial interest in the restaurant. I'm keeping the thread alive because I just want to keep a good deal going. I'll be there for lunch on Tuesday for the excellent burgers.

That's a good recommendation Rob. smile.gif

Why isn't it featured more on TV?.....maybe they should become a sponsor and then they could put all their specials, celebrations, party's etc, on here as many times as they like for everyone to see. With those sort of special deals and recommendations from people like yourself, I'm sure they would get quite a few punters.

Why would they want to pay for advertising when they are getting it for free?:whistling:

Why would they want to pay for advertising when they are getting it for free?:whistling:

The best form of advertising is word of mouth.

I don't think they have a food special on Wednesdays, think its a drinks special on a cocktail or whisky.

Sounds good guys. I'll go check them out.... Are they actually on Kamphaeng Din just south of the funky Sri Donchai intersection (where nobody's ever sure if the cross traffic will yield or not) ? And on the left hand side even ? I forget, but I know I've seen it before.

Never been in, but all of those specials sound mighty fine. Time to go have a look-see.

Sounds good guys. I'll go check them out.... Are they actually on Kamphaeng Din just south of the funky Sri Donchai intersection (where nobody's ever sure if the cross traffic will yield or not) ? And on the left hand side even ? I forget, but I know I've seen it before.

Never been in, but all of those specials sound mighty fine. Time to go have a look-see.

You should enjoy it. I don't know of a restaurant owner in Chiang Mai that works harder, (and usually with his staff) than Rudy does.

I have eaten at Gekko Garden Restaurant more times than I can count. The prices are excellent and the service is great! I have asked Rudy before why he doesn't advertise on places like ThaiVisa and he said he almost has more business than he can handle. He does super without advertising. While many businesses were struggling during the economic crisis, Gekko Garden was profitable. If you have never been there then you are missing out on one of Chiang Mai's best food secrets. I don't know why more people don't eat there.

I have eaten at Gekko Garden Restaurant more times than I can count. The prices are excellent and the service is great! I have asked Rudy before why he doesn't advertise on places like ThaiVisa and he said he almost has more business than he can handle. He does super without advertising. While many businesses were struggling during the economic crisis, Gekko Garden was profitable. If you have never been there then you are missing out on one of Chiang Mai's best food secrets. I don't know why more people don't eat there.

I'm sure as a result of the positive comments on this thread, a lot of people will try it........I will for sure. smile.gif

We say "kitty-corner" in the U.S. for across both roads at an intersection. So, it's across, "kitty corner," from the Mae Ping Hotel. Under correction, that crossroad has my vote too for the most regularly confusing intersection in CM.

I tend to forget that I have the "Book of What" to look up (under restaurant) "Gekko Garden Pub," find D-5&6, track eastward from the south moat road until I come to the little moat, Klong Mae Kha. There I see #105. Love their maps.

Edited by CMX

We say "kitty-corner" in the U.S. for across both roads at an intersection. So, it's across, "kitty corner," from the Mae Ping Hotel. Under correction, that crossroad has my vote too for the most regularly confusing intersection in CM.

I tend to forget that I have the "Book of What" to look up (under restaurant) "Gekko Garden Pub," find D-5&6, track eastward from the south moat road until I come to the little moat, Klong Mae Kha. There I see #105. Love their maps.

I've turned down that street hundreds of times........can't understand why I've never really taken any notice of it. huh.gif

It's definitely on my list now!

I've turned down that street hundreds of times........can't understand why I've never really taken any notice of it. huh.gif

It's definitely on my list now!

Well, I tried it today and wasn't disappointed at all. I had the spaghetti and meatballs with garlic bread.....it was very good and the portion was huge! I could have waited until tomorrow when spaghetti is the special, but after a few happy hour 40 baht vodka and tonics, that was my fancy. The prices are really good, the menu extensive and it's a nice place to sit apart from the traffic going along Sridonchai which is a bit noisy. It was actually a lot busier than I thought it would be and I'll definitely be back on Friday for the Fish & Chip special and a few more 40 Baht V&T's. I notice their prices for large Chang's, Leos etc, run at about 150 Baht for 3 which is also good and 3 large San Miguel's advertised at 169 Baht.

Overall, a good, cheap place to eat and drink and you certainly won't leave feeling hungry! smile.gif

i went there the other day. here are the list of specials:

monday - roast beef sandwich with fries - 99 baht

tuesday - burger with fries - 79 b

wednesday - big dinner salad - dont remember how much

thursday - spaghetti with garlic bread - 99 baht

friday - fish and chips

saturday - rib eye steak - 159 baht

sunday - all-u-can eat beef buffet - 200 baht

i went tuesday for the burger. very filling.

i'd recommend this place to anyone wanting western food.

re: beer. a single chang is 55 baht, 3 bottles for 150 ... ice is 10 baht for a bucket

i went there the other day. here are the list of specials:

monday - roast beef sandwich with fries - 99 baht

tuesday - burger with fries - 79 b

wednesday - big dinner salad - dont remember how much

thursday - spaghetti with garlic bread - 99 baht

friday - fish and chips

saturday - rib eye steak - 159 baht

sunday - all-u-can eat beef buffet - 200 baht

i went tuesday for the burger. very filling.

i'd recommend this place to anyone wanting western food.

re: beer. a single chang is 55 baht, 3 bottles for 150 ... ice is 10 baht for a bucket

With roast beef topping...89 Baht

Their prices and the quantity/quality of food, knock spots off other pubs and restaurants in that part of town. smile.gif

1. Happy hour there is 5-7, if I read correctly, and gin, vodka, or rum + the mixer are then 40 baht (1 oz.) (not OZ).

2. Stopped for lunch and ordered the special. I might have considered more seriously, for while waiting, I kept the menu and realized that there were a great many interesting and well-priced dishes, including many Thai. Some labeled very spicy, so I was not surprised to find folks enjoying selections from both parts (each almost a books in itself) of the menu.

Also, the spaghetti and meatballs amounted to a greater portion (including a medium simple lettuce, tomato and onion salad) than I have eaten anywhere here in a year. Look before I leap.

3. Service helpful at once, pleasant too.

4. Host personable.

Sorry, did not study parking for cars, as I had ridden a mechanized two-wheeler. Tires did support me safely home, however.

1. Happy hour there is 5-7, if I read correctly, and gin, vodka, or rum + the mixer are then 40 baht (1 oz.) (not OZ).

2. Stopped for lunch and ordered the special. I might have considered more seriously, for while waiting, I kept the menu and realized that there were a great many interesting and well-priced dishes, including many Thai. Some labeled very spicy, so I was not surprised to find folks enjoying selections from both parts (each almost a books in itself) of the menu.

Also, the spaghetti and meatballs amounted to a greater portion (including a medium simple lettuce, tomato and onion salad) than I have eaten anywhere here in a year. Look before I leap.

3. Service helpful at once, pleasant too.

4. Host personable.

Sorry, did not study parking for cars, as I had ridden a mechanized two-wheeler. Tires did support me safely home, however.

Yes indeed, I forgot to mention the nice side salad that somehow managed to squeeze on the plate too.smile.gif

As I've said previously, I have gone past Gecko 100's of times and never stopped....maybe because I'm concentrating on not getting schmucked whilst turning at that corner or perhaps because it's kind of hidden behind lots of plants. Anyway, I've found it now and I'll keep going......I hope it stays in business ......it really is a great value place.

OK Off for V&T's and Fish and Chips.