I Just Ate At Miguel'S Nong Hoy For 30% Off !

realthaideal

Nothing better than a belly full of warm delicious Mexican food on a cool night like tonight ! I just went to the Nong Hoy Miguel's and had a 3 item combo plate... the taco ended up coming home with me as i was full. Chicken Quesadilla and enchilada - they're already history.

I got the discount 'cause I used some more of the vouchers you can buy thru either that skinny CM DIning Guide you see for free around town (green cover/ pic of lettuce head this month), or buy thru Meals on Wheels. I can't believe they still have this special going on ! I ran into the guy who distributes the guide last week and asked him how and why they do this. He says it's a mutual win situation of promotion for him and the restaurants. And when I asked if he sells alot, he says sometimes. Why only sometimes when you can save 30% ? He says alot of Farang feel funny using vouchers - like it makes them look cheap. Personally I AM kinda cheap. Or at least I don't have money to burn. Saving 30% - buying 1,000 B of vouchers for only 700 pretty much makes up for the fall in the $$ since I first got here. The last couple times I've used them, I've been able to hand over the vouchers pretty discreetly. Every place seems to know the deal with them. It's not a coupon - it's an exchange for cash, like a ticket. Whatever - I don't care. I'll take my discount.

I'll add, like my subtitle says, that I was at Brasserie a week ago to go check out P'Tuk using vouchers as well. It had been awhile. I ate dinner with a friend n then a great show.... into some way-out-guitar-sounds zone. Pretty awesome. I recommend the Gaeng Som Pla Chon ! Not too spicy either. Something a Thai and a Farang can agree on. The vouchers don't cover drinks btw.....

I don't have anything to do with these establishments, I'm just trying to get the word out that you get a serious reward for advance purchase of some vouchers (in 125 B or 250 B increments). It's that easy to save cash. WHo doesn't wanna do that ?

Btw... when I asked about other dining guide advertisers like The Duke's, it turns out that he and several others don't sell vouchers thru them or MOW. They just don't need to drum up business, or just aren't into it. That's fine for them. I wish I was eating some 30% off ribs, but not right now, I guess. There are easily another 10 restaurants I'll probably check out in the next cpl mo's as much as RTD's budget can will allow.

Anybody else doing this or is just me ?

That's a good discount 30%.

Don't be embarrassed to use vouchers or make savings in any way that suits YOU.

Let others get on with their business and if they aren't interested in saving, that's up to them.

As far as farang's looking cheap, they should see the mad crush at the January sales, saving money is a farang phenomena.wink.gif

You were able to hand over the vouchers ... "discreetly"? .....

The prices are fair enough already and I am treated very well at my local Miguel's. I think I will pass on being a coupon clipper for the next 20 years or so :) Ask me when I retire again and I may have a different answer :)

Uhhhhh... admittedly feeling lame being up late and on TV.... what an amazing CM life I have !

But.... it's not a coupon. You buy a voucher, a ticket, with a money equivalent. There's no coupon or discount mentioned. All the workers see is a certificate that says the amount it's worth and where it's to.

And when I say discretely JD, I mean I put the voucher on the little money tray or in the brown folder with any extra cash needed to cover the bill or the drinks, and they take it away. You know how in Thailand sometimes ppl don't get what's going on n one waiter or worker calls a second, and then a third, and then they hold it up to a light to see if ti's real or works ? (Could be a toy, a map, an older looking dollar bill,...etc.) Well, I'm saying I just used my 250 B voucher at Miguel's for the El Rico combo plate and a coke. Total was 270B. I saved 72 baht off the entree (That's more than chicken feed), and everyone understood the program. Just like using cash or a credit card. There's no coupon clipping, get it ?

Have you seen the pre-purchase swipe-cards they use in most Starbucks stores in The States ? Or Jamba Juice? SOmetimes there's a promo attached. It's just pre-sales that help the stores project earnings and then benefit you with some small reward for buying that way. Win-Win.

JD... I'm trying to think of something to sell you for 30% extra.... What are you in the market for ?

Uhhhhh... admittedly feeling lame being up late and on TV.... what an amazing CM life I have !

But.... it's not a coupon. You buy a voucher, a ticket, with a money equivalent. There's no coupon or discount mentioned. All the workers see is a certificate that says the amount it's worth and where it's to.

And when I say discretely JD, I mean I put the voucher on the little money tray or in the brown folder with any extra cash needed to cover the bill or the drinks, and they take it away. You know how in Thailand sometimes ppl don't get what's going on n one waiter or worker calls a second, and then a third, and then they hold it up to a light to see if ti's real or works ? (Could be a toy, a map, an older looking dollar bill,...etc.) Well, I'm saying I just used my 250 B voucher at Miguel's for the El Rico combo plate and a coke. Total was 270B. I saved 72 baht off the entree (That's more than chicken feed), and everyone understood the program. Just like using cash or a credit card. There's no coupon clipping, get it ?

Have you seen the pre-purchase swipe-cards they use in most Starbucks stores in The States ? Or Jamba Juice? SOmetimes there's a promo attached. It's just pre-sales that help the stores project earnings and then benefit you with some small reward for buying that way. Win-Win.

JD... I'm trying to think of something to sell you for 30% extra.... What are you in the market for ?

Faulty logic there at the end what I pay isn't extra ... and it requires no action on my part such as buying vouchers :) The point about it being discreet .. well you made the point. That you would feel the need for discretion says enough to me. Don't get me wrong. I am happy that you found a way to save a buck! It would seem cheap to me, just like going to the old folks' "early bird special" back in Florida.

I eat there 2-3 nights a week.. rarely have time for daytime meals.. never tried meals on wheels as I live near to Kad Farang or Baan Tawai areas. tucked in on a small soi in a rice field that no driver would be able to find.

I always get the Chicken Taco Salad or the Tamales since they just got the right stuff to make them again from stateside.and rarely do I bring home any leftovers.. I had no idea about this deal and I will look into it for sure. Thanks for the tip. my bill is a normal That meal is 110 baht plus a bottle of water for 15 baht.. makes a whopping 125 divide 29 baht as of late makes it ... $4.31

I remember buying my high school sweetheart a lunch in Hastings, Minnesota in November of 1964 for a total of $4.50

If one wants or needs to use discount vouchers, that is what they are for. The restaurants have offered them in order to draw more customers and to advertise.

Many customers would not try these places otherwise and if they like the food, they might become regulars.

If you want to pay full price, that is fine too, but there is no shame in either position.

Good information, Khun RealThaiDeal, thanks !

The day we feel ashamed for saving money: well, as Buddy Holly once sang:

"Ah that'll be the day wooh-ooh-ooh.

That'll be the day woo-ooh-ooh.

That'll be the day woo-ooh-ooh.

That'll be the day-ay-ay when I die"

best, ~o:37;

One man's faulty logic is another man's right on the ball. But I'll accept it. I'd happily do an early bird special btw.... if I was hungry at that time n in FL. Sometimes I'm also known to do early bird specials for a drink - they call them Happy Hours.

But anyway, it's all good. I haven't made my money yet. I came to CM earlier in li8fe and now it's starting to look scary. How to live all the way up to n thru to retirement age on CM or Thld money. Might have to go back to the West for a bit.... yikes ! Until then, watching the baht carefully.