Getting A Credit Card In Thailand

I have an internet shop and I know some other and usually if we get an order from Thailand it moves directly in the junk. thailand, indoenesia, nigeria, vietnam are not the best countries in that matter, 99.9 % cc fraud.

some software cancel it automatic as long as it isn't american express.

its hard for all honest customer but I had a scan of a card and ID cards, and the card was a copy card, original an american bank card, but copied with an non existing bank. the card passed all tests, but it is still fake. after loosing a lot of money every shopowner stops taking orders from these countries.

The only reason I wanted it for was for buying stuff on the internet.

I tried to order some art books from Italian online book stores with my SCB CC early this year and for some reason their online system denied payment authorization. Tried this at two different online shops in Italy and at both times it was denied, though I didn't have any problem using the same CC in Italy. One of the shops happily accepted my CC payment though after I sent my card info by fax (split the fax in two for security reason, one for card number and another for expiry date). Also for some unexplained reason payment for fuel at service stations in Japan with Thai-issued Citibank Card was never been approved either. Some internet shops in Japan also refused payment by Thai CC but that could be because the shipping address was in Japan while the billing address is in Thailand. However, never had same problem with US amazon.com or Japanese amazon (for shipment to Japanese address).

I have my SCB CC since my income was only 30,000 Baht (which gave me only B40K credit limit), when I believe minimum income for foreigner required then was B100K (about 4 years ago). But that's because we asked at a branch where my company (my family business to be exact) had an account and long been a good customer at and my wife (who's also an employee of the same company and knew those people at SCB very well) begged for it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used my Thai-based Visas and Mastercards (cancelled my Diners Club and American Express cause I didnt use them much) to buy all kinds of things (books, CDs, clothes, etc.) and software (and reserve hotel rooms and air tix) and have no problems... :o

Forget about a Thai credit card if you ever want to use it outside of Thailand. I, too, advise all my clients to cancel all orders from Thailand and Malaysia without even looking at them. (I've never heard of one good order, and have seen and experienced quite a few fraudulent ones)

Take a trip to HSBC bank in Singapore and open up an time deposit account for non-residents. They then allow you to apply for a secured credit card (if you're not working in Singapore it will have to be secured if you don't already have a relationship with HSBC).

If you deposit $100,000 Sing dollars, they provide you with a $50k limit on your card. Best thing is that your 'deposit' sits in the time accout, gaining interest.

minimum time deposit is $10k Sing, whereby you would get $5k on your card. Also, I think if you have your time deposit denominated in NZ dollars you get about 5.73% interest for 1 month (!) if over $100k NZ

http://www.hsbc.com.sg/sg/personal/cards/creditcd/secure/

If you don't want to do the secured, you can apply for a regular card after 3 months of having a savings account at HSBC Hong Kong and I think Singapore.

But I and my TW never had any problem using Thai Bank-issued CC when travelling outside Thailand. As I said in earlier post, denied only for ordering books to Italy by internet and at service stations in Japan. Payment authorization never been denied or rejected by shop clerks when using CC at my own presence outside Thailand (US, Europe, Japan, etc) except when I over-spent it to my credit limit.

So which country is no good for Thai CC?

Edited by Nordlys

sorry.. didn't distinguish between brick & mortar shops and online shops.

I meant that if your are ordering from the internet and your IP address is from Thailand and your CC billing address is from another country your order may not go through.

I do know that many online shops automatically delete orders with Thai, Malaysia, Indonesian IP addresses.

However, presenting your card in person shouldn't be much of an issue

I usually buy games and mobile phone software with KTC Visa and I never had a problem.

KTC - Krung Thai Card, Krung Thai is the largest government bank here.

KTC is good for buying expensive items - they charge 0% interest for ten months, much like City Light.

• 1 month later...
Forget about a Thai credit card if you ever want to use it outside of Thailand. I, too, advise all my clients to cancel all orders from Thailand and Malaysia without even looking at them. (I've never heard of one good order, and have seen and experienced quite a few fraudulent ones)

Take a trip to HSBC bank in Singapore and open up an time deposit account for non-residents. They then allow you to apply for a secured credit card (if you're not working in Singapore it will have to be secured if you don't already have a relationship with HSBC).

If you deposit $100,000 Sing dollars, they provide you with a $50k limit on your card. Best thing is that your 'deposit' sits in the time accout, gaining interest.

minimum time deposit is $10k Sing, whereby you would get $5k on your card. Also, I think if you have your time deposit denominated in NZ dollars you get about 5.73% interest for 1 month (!) if over $100k NZ

http://www.hsbc.com.sg/sg/personal/cards/creditcd/secure/

If you don't want to do the secured, you can apply for a regular card after 3 months of having a savings account at HSBC Hong Kong and I think Singapore.

There's a problem with opening HSBC or DBS bank accounts in Singapore - you have to be recommended by an existing account holder, so if you don't know anyone who already banks with them, you cannot open an account there. Same applies with HSBC in Bangkok.

I can’t imagine why anyone would want a Thai credit card, they carry virtually no consumer protection and worst of all the card holder is responsible for all illegal unauthorized use, I have friends who have lost considerable amounts of money when their Thai credit cards have been stolen and used by the thief – their offshore credit cards stolen and used at the same time refunded all illegal use. Thai credit cards should come with a financial health warning.

OK you save a bit on the service charges, but look at the risks.

I have tried a few times to get a credit card but they always say no :D

Rcently I tried with the Bangkok Bank. I gave them my work permit and the necessary stuff from my work(Thai govt. institution).

I thought that this time they would give me one, but no.

I had a book which I had had for over 5 years.

I didn't have money going in all the time but most of the time, and for the last 7 months regularly, 28,000 baht.

I remember that HSBC asked farang to have 1 million baht a year.

Siam commercial once told me that they never give farang(manager's words), which I know is <deleted>.

How can I get one?

it seems there has to be more to it, as I just opened an acount at Bangkok Bank, (joined with my thai wife) - they didn't ask, but gave us an ATM card, which is also a visa card! used it in Hongkong, bill of 25.000bt - no problem! :D

they did gave me a hard time to open internat banking :

first no without work permit, but can do for my wife, then called us in to have me sign too, one week later, said, "cannot without work permit", after showing them the paper from the embassy certfying the residence, translated and certified by ministery of foreign affairs, and after a long call to headquarters, finally internet ok! :o

had an ATM/Visa from Kasikorn too, but canceled the account, as they cheated me on the incoming transfer with a lower exchange rate. :D

Chico; you got a (Visa) debit card, not a (Visa) credit card. But you are right it works fine abroad I have been told - not on the internet though I hear. Cheers!

as long as it woks, that's fine with me too!

don't use it in the net anyway!

but had a similar experience in the US:

when I moved there to work, had european visa and master, couldn't get amex

in the US :apllied for visa - no, for master - no, same response "you don't have any credit record!

took company cards (visa and master) and 6 weeks later amex offered me a card !

after one year they offered me the gold card, and two years later platinum (ok, I used it a lot, for company travel mainly) but this was too expensif : 300 $ /year

returning to europe, got immediately european golden amex! :o

I prefer debit cards really as it means one less bill to remember to pay, simplifying ones life. Of course that requires that one HAS the money already - but most sensible people do not use credit cards anyway as a credit function (beyond the 30+ days free credit time of course).

With 2 debit cards I have always been able to rent cars/book hotels/purchase online Etc. Both are Visa.

My US debit card have very good protection against fraud actually - so does my European one.

But I am hesitant about what protection the BKK Bank Visa debit card will give me in case of theft/fraud... I think it will stay in the safe and I will only carry the cash card. At least one needs the pin to access and a criminal vendor can not charge to the card. Cheers!

I prefer debit cards really as it means one less bill to remember to pay, simplifying ones life. Of course that requires that one HAS the money already - but most sensible people do not use credit cards anyway as a credit function (beyond the 30+ days free credit time of course).

With 2 debit cards I have always been able to rent cars/book hotels/purchase online Etc. Both are Visa.

My US debit card have very good protection against fraud actually - so does my European one.

But I am hesitant about what protection the BKK Bank Visa debit card will give me in case of theft/fraud... I think it will stay in the safe and I will only carry the cash card. At least one needs the pin to access and a criminal vendor can not charge to the card. Cheers!

by "cash card" you mean ATM-card, I guess, which is the same in my case as the "debit card", and my bank told me, if stolen, cancel card immediately - no problems! but, then, you should realize, that it is stolen!?

Cash card equals ATM card yes - but you can get ONE boring blue one that can ONLY be used in ATMs and banks. One can then (like the one you have) get the combined ATM/debit card. I.e. 2 cards if you want.

As for safety; generally in EU/USA the best protection is with the credit cards but "new" laws are in place for a rather similar protection for debit cards. There was a recent article about the US debit card protection on MSNmoney(I think was there) about it.

If fraud on my BKK Bank debit card I can imagine how much s... I would have to go through even IF they offer some protection.

Cheers!

Edited by Firefan

Cash card equals ATM card yes - but you can get ONE boring blue one that can ONLY be used in ATMs and banks. One can then (like the one you have) get the combined ATM/debit card. I.e. 2 cards if you want.

As for safety; generally in EU/USA the best protection is with the credit cards but "new" laws are in place for a rather similar protection for debit cards. There was a recent article about the US debit card protection on MSNmoney(I think was there) about it.

If fraud on my BKK Bank debit card I can imagine how much s... I would have to go through even IF they offer some protection.

Cheers!

lil confused : the card is white, green, blue , has 'visa', with the 16 digit code, exp (ridiculous) 08/15!!, and says "electronic use only", as does my Kasikornbank card :o = looks perfectly as my european visa??

They actually have THREE different tyoes of (non credit) cards.

1. ATM card only in Thailand

2. Premier ATM card internationally

3. B1st ATM and debit card internationally

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/Pe...rds/Default.htm

I have the ATM card and in the process of getting the B1st card (which I am guessing is the one you have). But have become a bit hesitant about the safety of the B1st card for reasons already mentioned.

Cheers!

They actually have THREE different tyoes of (non credit) cards.

1. ATM card only in Thailand

2. Premier ATM card internationally

3. B1st ATM and debit card internationally

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/Pe...rds/Default.htm

I have the ATM card and in the process of getting the B1st card (which I am guessing is the one you have). But have become a bit hesitant about the safety of the B1st card for reasons already mentioned.

Cheers!

Can the B1st ATM and Debit card be used to purchase on the internet?

Just to add my tuppence. Was in the Silom branch of Bangkok bank to get a new passbook for my Be1st card and i asked about their credit card.

They said no, you cannot get one unless you open ( in their words ) a guarantee acount of the credit limit.

In other words, I would have to leave 50k in one of their accounts - which i cant touch - to get a 50k credit limit.

I have had the account with them now for almost 4 years. :o

Central wouldnt even give me a Central card never mind a Central Visa.

Siam Commercial - from the same branch that my school deals with refused me as well.

Just waiting to hear back from Tesco. Bet thats a no as well.

Bluebear; what is their argument as to why you can not receive it? Work permit? Salary level? or what?

I my case I am not working here so the work permit argument is the first challenge.

An agent told me to make monthly transfers into my bank book from abroad (normally use a debit card) "simulating" an income for at least 3 months which can then be used in the application.

Anyway; I have no need for a Thai credit card as my foreign debit cards work fine online.

Cheers!

Believe you can set up automatic payment of most credit cards by direct debit from a bank account. I use this to pay a Chase card in US from my US bank account at another bank. You have the full credit available and a month to get the cash into you bank account to pay it and no worry about late payments or interest being charged.