Soon To Be A Uk Pensioner Living In Thailand

I know there's a lot of good info on UK Pensions scattered about on this forum , but I and some of my friends are still not 100 % sure on just what

the answers are.

over the past few weeks when in conversation with other farangs friends , the subject of the Uk pensions was mentioned , and from what I heard not one of the guy's who was expecting to receive his uk pension within the next Five years really knew the correct situation and the phrase '' I just assume '' was used a lot . So I was hoping you guy's here who have actually claimed and now receiving your uk pension could pass on to us guy's who will soon be claiming a uk pension , any thoughts , comments , suggestions or tips that you think may make the claiming a UK pension process less stressful .

We all are ......

Full Time resident in Thailand

Not working

Married to a Thai Citizen ( Legally recorded not a Wat and party Job )

Paid at least 30 Years NI contrition's

Have a Thai bank account

Some have children born in Thailand

Some have step children

None of them have taken their Thai wife to live in the UK

All will reach the State Pension age within Five years

The areas of confusion seem to be with ..

(1)

We have all paid our 30 years NI contributions so if we were claiming right now we would be entitled to the current single man's pension payment of £97.65 a week

So as our Thai wives have paid nothing into the uk system the following would apply ...

Screenshot2010-11-13at122112PM.jpg

This would then mean after we had first received the £97.65 a week , we would then have to apply some how to see if our Thai wife would be entitled to a part pension weekly payment - ?

The above also means your Thai Wife at the time of you applying to see she is entitled to a part pension, has to be of uk pensionable age , so say you are 60years old and you Thai wife is 40 years old , there's no point in applying to see if she is suitable for a uk part pension until she is a lot older any you are around Eighty years old -?

(2)

We were wondering as we have all now fully contributed for 30 years in to the uk pension system , and looking at the above list of our status , is there any thing else that we could rightfully be applying for in the way of payment befits Etc - ?.

I know google is our friend , but we really would like to hear from people who have been there, done that and would be kind enough to offer any advice

to us soon to be pensioners :)

Your comments - advice - suggestions on this subject would be very welcome :jap:

1. Start here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/BritonsLivingAbroad/index.htm

2. Ask the government for an estimate of your entitlement.

3. Declare your residency status. If you pretend that you still live in the UK you will receive benefits that a non-resident does not. They will catch you one day and you may have to pay back the excess and a penalty. At the least, they will stop your pension while they review you.

4. You will be sent a document four months or so before your 65th birthday. It tells you what to do, with all the options. If you decide to take the pension at 65 you have to make a claim. Download the form, fill it in and post it.

5. If in any doubt, call them. You can get a number for calls from overseas.

As Morden said.

I got my pension some years ago already having lived in Thailand some 10 years and there was no problem with being outside the UK when making the claim.

I get the basic State Pension, which is a less than now as it is frozen from the date of starting.

I also get an "Adult Dependency Increase" of just under 50Pounds per week (should be more now) for "your spouse or the person who looks after your child or children"

I don't know if that payment would still be available if you have just a wife but no children.

My wife has never been to the UK so that is not an issue here. I'm told she has been issued with a National Insurance Number but so far have not received any confirmation of that.

If you are not going to be pensionable for some time, download and fill in the pension forecast form and you will have time to sort any problems before hand.

One recent change has been that the Pension can now be paid directly into a Thai bank Account. The transfer takes about 4 days there are no additional bank/transfer charges and the exchange rate is on par with the current rate.

DD

I get my pension at the end of this month, just the basic as my company 'contracted out'. My wife will be sixty in five years, however I haven't found anywhere saying that she will be entitled to anything. She has lived in the UK and gained British Citizenship, has a UK Passport, but has never had an NI number.

I am now Non-Resident and Not Ordinary Resident. Anyone know anything different please about her entitlement to anything?

As usual a pretty comprehensive and easy to follow comments. I will be 65 in August 2011 so my claim form I expect will at home when I get back to the UK in May 2011 or I will have to ring up and get the claim form. This freezing is a bit of nuisance though isnt it, how did this ever arise and when and just cannot see the fairness in it when they let all these foreigners in, give them houses pander to their minority needs and generally give them the whole shooting match. Thanks for the tax chaps, we will be back for more but you can no ride off into the sunset, we need the bit of pensions we save for overseas aid and that aint you!

The is was taken to the European Court where the British Government's unfair rules were upheld.

Dame Joan Bakewell claims to be campaigning for the rights of UK pensioners. I emailed her about the the unfair rules earlier this year but she ignored me. If someone else would like to have a crack at getting her attention, her email address is:

[email protected]

Please post the outcome here so that we can decide whether to send her a whole bag of emails.

I am still a couple of years away from drawing my pension and I had assumed that, like my occupational pension, I would have to pay UK tax on my state pension. I have been advised, not by an expert but a pretty savvy person, that whilst it will have to be taxed somewhere, I can take advantage of the double taxation agreement and pay tax in Thailand.

Has anybody had experience of having a UK retirement pension being paid without UK tax and then paying tax in Thailand?

I am still a couple of years away from drawing my pension and I had assumed that, like my occupational pension, I would have to pay UK tax on my state pension. I have been advised, not by an expert but a pretty savvy person, that whilst it will have to be taxed somewhere, I can take advantage of the double taxation agreement and pay tax in Thailand.

Has anybody had experience of having a UK retirement pension being paid without UK tax and then paying tax in Thailand?

Your "pretty savvy" person is wrong. The double taxation agreement between UK and Thailand covers state pensions (i.e. those paid to government ex-employees), but not regular pensions.

You will be subject to UK income tax on your pension. However, you still have your personal tax allowance, so only income in excess of this will be taxable. Theoretically you could be taxed again in Thailand, but that is unlikely. If you keep the pension money (or any other income) in the UK (or offshore) for a year before remitting it to Thailand it's no longer seen as income, and becomes free of Thai tax.

Edited by AyG

^^^^

Thanks for the reply AyG, I always thought that to be the case but my mate advised me to check as he thought I was wrong, he was a Director of the UKBA and he is living overseas himself and advised me to double check. He pays UK tax on his Civil Service Pension but firmly believes that his state pension will be taxed in his country of residence.

Whilst I don't doubt you for one moment, and what you say was my understanding, your advice seems to contradict advice given on a government website.

If you are a non-resident your tax position depends on whether you live in a country with a 'double taxation agreement' with the UK. This means you won't have to pay UK tax on your State Pension, but it will be taxable in the country where you live. [

I get my pension at the end of this month, just the basic as my company 'contracted out'. My wife will be sixty in five years, however I haven't found anywhere saying that she will be entitled to anything. She has lived in the UK and gained British Citizenship, has a UK Passport, but has never had an NI number.

I am now Non-Resident and Not Ordinary Resident. Anyone know anything different please about her entitlement to anything?

Your wife will have to be 65+ to receive any pension, see the boxed text in the opening post

When asking for a Pension Forecast ask specifically for them to include any "Additional" pension. They do not automatically include this. You have to ask. I have had 4 pension forecasts since 2003 and my "additonal" pension is just over £100 extra, bringing my weekly pension to £201 in total, as at about a year ago. I will be 65 in June 2012.

Wow thats a good weekly pension so l assume you are based in the UK or have a UK address. What was the "additional" pension on top of the basic that was forecasted for you. I am currently not 65 until March 2012 but will ask for a forecast. Have lived in Thailand for the last 10 years so only expecting the basic

When asking for a Pension Forecast ask specifically for them to include any "Additional" pension. They do not automatically include this. You have to ask. I have had 4 pension forecasts since 2003 and my "additonal" pension is just over £100 extra, bringing my weekly pension to £201 in total, as at about a year ago. I will be 65 in June 2012.

Wow thats a good weekly pension so l assume you are based in the UK or have a UK address. What was the "additional" pension on top of the basic that was forecasted for you. I am currently not 65 until March 2012 but will ask for a forecast. Have lived in Thailand for the last 10 years so only expecting the basic

I thought the same , it does look a good weekly pension :) I would love to know a bit more

One other point that's come up in my conversation with soon to be pensioner friends here , and I know its possibly not some thing we want to think about , but once your UK pension is being paid be it into a Uk bank account or a Thai bank account,what happens when the pensioner passes away :(

If no one contacts the uk pension service to let them know , or may be your Thai wife does not know what should be legally done in such a circumstance , what will happen to your pension payments ?

TL :jap:

I thought the same , it does look a good weekly pension :) I would love to know a bit more

One other point that's come up in my conversation with soon to be pensioner friends here , and I know its possibly not some thing we want to think about , but once your UK pension is being paid be it into a Uk bank account or a Thai bank account,what happens when the pensioner passes away :(

If no one contacts the uk pension service to let them know , or may be your Thai wife does not know what should be legally done in such a circumstance , what will happen to your pension payments ?

When a UK citizen dies in Thailand the police should be informed.

If there is no apparent crime i.e. you died at home in bed or hospital etc then they write a report and you have to go to hospital to get a death certificate and the police are supposed to inform the embassy.

You or his wife should inform the embassy also plus notify the relevant pension departments (if he has more than one pension).

I am slowly building a folder for my wife and a couple of friends to deal with on my death:

things like where is my passport, credit cards, bank info, legal documents, wills, insurance documents, who to inform, relatives, children etc and all the tedious things that you know have to be done and you keep putting off.

An example is when you die do you want to be buried or cremated, in Thailand or elsewhere, what to do with the remains?

The UK Embassy has some information and if you are from another country their Embassy will have the information as well.

The thing is to do it NOW and not leave it until you die because if you do you will have a much bigger problem.

Even if his wife is fluent in English it will not be that easy for her unless she knows who to contact and what to ask for and if her English is not so good she will have a real problem.

Does he have a joint bank account because if it is in his name only it could be frozen until the wills etc are sorted out. If his pension is paid into that his wife will not be able to get any money to live on.

If you need any more information I will try to help.

There are threads on Thai Visa about this.

One thread is here

Dying at home in Chiang Mai

Posted 2009-05-22 16:56

but you will have to search the forum for it.

I hope that this will help you.

When a UK citizen dies in Thailand the police should be informed.

If there is no apparent crime i.e. you died at home in bed or hospital etc then they write a report and you have to go to hospital to get a death certificate and the police are supposed to inform the embassy.

You or his wife should inform the embassy also plus notify the relevant pension departments (if he has more than one pension).

I am slowly building a folder for my wife and a couple of friends to deal with on my death:

things like where is my passport, credit cards, bank info, legal documents, wills, insurance documents, who to inform, relatives, children etc and all the tedious things that you know have to be done and you keep putting off.

An example is when you die do you want to be buried or cremated, in Thailand or elsewhere, what to do with the remains?

The UK Embassy has some information and if you are from another country their Embassy will have the information as well.

The thing is to do it NOW and not leave it until you die because if you do you will have a much bigger problem.

Even if his wife is fluent in English it will not be that easy for her unless she knows who to contact and what to ask for and if her English is not so good she will have a real problem.

Does he have a joint bank account because if it is in his name only it could be frozen until the wills etc are sorted out. If his pension is paid into that his wife will not be able to get any money to live on.

If you need any more information I will try to help.

There are threads on Thai Visa about this.

One thread is here

Dying at home in Chiang Mai

Posted 2009-05-22 16:56

but you will have to search the forum for it.

I hope that this will help you.

Thanks Guy's - Some good info here :)

I wonder just how many Uk Pensioners living here in Thailand have not made any previsions in the way of say a 'folder' or written instructions of things that need doing after their death , i'm not talking about a legal will but just some thing personal that will make dealing with things for the wife and family a bit easier. ive just started to write down a to do list with contact addresses and phone numbers to be used when I kick the bucket .

I just sat down one day and thought to myself, when I die who can help my wife and son and what do they need to know.

I started with blank excel spreadsheet and went from there.

The UK Embassy has a lot of info for Brits and I would assume other embassies are the same.

Talk to your pension providers, the taxman, insurance companies and anyone you deal with.

Make a will in both English and Thai (Google translate, helps so do lawyers).

If you have nothing in the country of your birth it is easier.

If you have property and family in the UK, talk to your wife here and you family there.

Find a good friend who speaks your language and some Thai as well to help your wife out when the day comes, and it will to all of. Agree with them if they will help you, you will help them depending who goes first.

If you love your Thai wife and family explain what you want to do and how you want it done.

It all helps.

But if you keep it all hidden to yourself and your computer is locked there will be a lot of grief to your family but it won't matter to you as you will be dead.

edit

When I come back in my next life I want a computer that does what I want it to do, spells things the way they should be and doesn't drop off line and lose what I have just posted.

Edited by billd766

Dilemma

1) Do I make a folder to protect my loved one in the event of my death, telling them how much and how to

or

2) Do I not make a folder and encourage my loved one to help me live forever (or at least not help me off the balcony)

My balcony is only 3 metres high.