Booking/Buying A Train Ticket In Advance

vagabond48

My GF will be flying in to Bangkok the middle of December arriving about 7:30PM at the Bangkok train station. She will be taking the sleeper train to Chiang Mai and I am concerned that there may not be any tickets available for the 10PM train. Is there anyway I can buy the ticket for her in advance and have her pick it up at the Bangkok train station. You use to be able to book train tickets online but no longer. I live in Chiang Mai.

The train will most likely be fully booked. Can you buy the ticket in Chiang Mai and send it to her?

Best way to do,buy the tickets at CM station....but hurry.

Ask the booking clerk in Khon Kaen, there are still some places available, sleeper 2,1 and seats 2,3.

If she has a Thai ID-card I think she can get a free ticket 3rd class.

There should be a possibility for paying in CM and collecting in Bangkok , but if this is a safe thing to do????????

There is a Post Office at the main station, maybe you can send the tickets there, although what time the office closes?

The train will most likely be fully booked. Can you buy the ticket in Chiang Mai and send it to her?

Best way to do,buy the tickets at CM station....but hurry.

Ask the booking clerk in Khon Kaen, there are still some places available, sleeper 2,1 and seats 2,3.

If she has a Thai ID-card I think she can get a free ticket 3rd class.

There should be a possibility for paying in CM and collecting in Bangkok , but if this is a safe thing to do????????

There is a Post Office at the main station, maybe you can send the tickets there, although what time the office closes?

Totally agree, buy the ticket at Chiang Mai and post it to her. There's plenty of time. Advance bookings open 60 days before, so you can buy it now. I don't think SRT operate the ticket collection service that you suggest, but you can always ask.

Some trains are free, but they are generally only the ordinary 3rd class only services. Train 51, the 2200 Bangkok-Chiang Mai, is an 'Express', and I doubt very much if its free for anyone other than SRT pass holers. Bangkok to Chiang Mai in 3rd class is not recommended at the best of times.

Thanks for the suggestions.

She is Chinese and is coming from China. I don't have a firm date when she is coming so I can't buy the ticket yet. I also don't know how reliable sending an envelope to China is or how long it would take to arrive.

I was hoping that I could buy the ticket at the CM train station which is only 5 minutes from me. Several years ago, SRT did have an option on their website to book train seats but that option is no longer available, at least not in the English version.