Fresh Game Meat In Chiang Mai

anonymouse

I was just browsing David Thompson's Book 'Thai street food' and salivating at some of the pictures and recipes such as Quail Curry.

I was wondering if anyone has seen game for sale at local markets or even anywhere that has it on their menu.

I've seen venison, wild boar etc in the freezer compartments but more interested in stuff that flys around locally :D

Loong Rat's on the Chiang Mai Mae Jo Road; past Teppanya Hospital on the same side of the street.

Not sure about quail but they have cobra, wild boar, crocodile, different kinds of chickens, snails, etc. Good food and reasonably priced.

Yes this is the sort of place I'm looking for thanks elektrified :thumbsup:

Loong Rat's on the Chiang Mai Mae Jo Road; past Teppanya Hospital on the same side of the street.

Not sure about quail but they have cobra, wild boar, crocodile, different kinds of chickens, snails, etc. Good food and reasonably priced.

I think the Rimping have all that except the cobra.....

What about the Northern Farm store on Huay Kaew? I have never been in there but maybe they have sources.

Quail does sound tasty.

Does anyone eat those big snails? I see them fresh at Tops and R.P.... How do people like them and any cooking tips?

I think the Rimping have all that except the cobra.....

What about the Northern Farm store on Huay Kaew? I have never been in there but maybe they have sources.

Quail does sound tasty.

I might post in the thai food forum and see if I can get a broader overview

Does anyone eat those big snails? I see them fresh at Tops and R.P.... How do people like them and any cooking tips?

Reading David Thompson's books on Thai cuisine historically game like quail was a staple in the Thai diet and apparently in Phetchuburi province the rural Thai's sell it as street food.

I see a lot of Pheasants about and wonder why the Thai's don't eat them.

Edited by anonymouse

I get the whole wild game thing, but..... I'd take it easy around here on it. The whole country if not SE Asia in general. This whole place has been depleted because of unregulated hunting and poaching. Many animals that were abundant just 20-30 yrs ago are very hard to come by these days. Ask any hilltriber that actually lives up there (seen any deer or pangolin lately ?!!). This place's ecosystem is ravaged by overdemand and the quest to feed hungry bellies. You'd most likely be contributing to what is a serious problem.... in pursuit of being more in touch with nature and an exotic bite. Best deal is trying to help any conservation efforts you can get in contact with. That's the way to really appreciate it.

That being said... I do support the hunting of ferral pigs and there are many about in the mountains, but you usually have to go stake them out for a while and wait for the second pass to take a shot. Or so my friends tell me. Their meat is sometimes available fresh.... like at the local 'dtalaat nat' (meeting/ day market) that springs up Mon, Wed's, n Sat about 3p-7p in the Waruniwet moobaan just past the Shell station on HangDong rd. Either the soi rt after Shell or the next one with the new village gate being put in will get you there. Follow the canal in for about 700m and you'll see it. There's a guy who's always got local game and herbs. Most of it's the small stuff that doesn't bother no one - frogs, pla chon, pla nin, a bunch of smaller Thai fish species, aquatic bugs, a turtle or 10 (too bad), and then last Mon I saw wild boar there and bagged, cleaned quails for sale too. All the locals know him n go to pick up things for old time Lanna dishes.

And also.... I've got a feeling those 'pheasants' (toucal) you see taste alot like mudhen or crow. And of course they too are disappearing from the wild as THais like to cage them and keep them as pretty house pets/adornments.

This is a place that needs preservation and cooperation towards conservation as much as possible. Even when I fish I'm 95% catch and release. It's all up to species as well.

I get the whole wild game thing, but..... I'd take it easy around here on it. The whole country if not SE Asia in general. This whole place has been depleted because of unregulated hunting and poaching. Many animals that were abundant just 20-30 yrs ago are very hard to come by these days. Ask any hilltriber that actually lives up there (seen any deer or pangolin lately ?!!). This place's ecosystem is ravaged by overdemand and the quest to feed hungry bellies. You'd most likely be contributing to what is a serious problem.... in pursuit of being more in touch with nature and an exotic bite. Best deal is trying to help any conservation efforts you can get in contact with. That's the way to really appreciate it.

That being said... I do support the hunting of ferral pigs and there are many about in the mountains, but you usually have to go stake them out for a while and wait for the second pass to take a shot. Or so my friends tell me. Their meat is sometimes available fresh.... like at the local 'dtalaat nat' (meeting/ day market) that springs up Mon, Wed's, n Sat about 3p-7p in the Waruniwet moobaan just past the Shell station on HangDong rd. Either the soi rt after Shell or the next one with the new village gate being put in will get you there. Follow the canal in for about 700m and you'll see it. There's a guy who's always got local game and herbs. Most of it's the small stuff that doesn't bother no one - frogs, pla chon, pla nin, a bunch of smaller Thai fish species, aquatic bugs, a turtle or 10 (too bad), and then last Mon I saw wild boar there and bagged, cleaned quails for sale too. All the locals know him n go to pick up things for old time Lanna dishes.

And also.... I've got a feeling those 'pheasants' (toucal) you see taste alot like mudhen or crow. And of course they too are disappearing from the wild as THais like to cage them and keep them as pretty house pets/adornments.

This is a place that needs preservation and cooperation towards conservation as much as possible. Even when I fish I'm 95% catch and release. It's all up to species as well.

I agree with you on the conservation point it is a shame.

Eating the pheasants [toucal] doesn't sound a good idea if they taste like crow.

If I see any quail though I'll pick them up :D

I thought I was reading that the people of what is now known as Thailand were the first to domesticate chickens as far back as 2,000 years ago...

Reference

The earliest remains of domesticated chickens, which date to about 7,500 years ago, were found in northeast China along the Yellow River, and other remains have been found in Pakistan, the Ukraine, and Spain.

Looking at the title, is that not something of an oxymoron "fresh game meat"?

Usually well hung? -No doubt open to misinterpretation and lewd comments. :)

Game meat is from undomesticated animals normally hunted, some game is hung but not all.

Yes I was expecting a few more lewd comments, Beetlejuice done me proud though :)

I get the whole wild game thing, but..... I'd take it easy around here on it. The whole country if not SE Asia in general. This whole place has been depleted because of unregulated hunting and poaching. Ask any hilltriber that actually lives up there (seen any deer or pangolin lately ?!!). You'd most likely be contributing to what is a serious problem.... in pursuit of being more in touch with nature and an exotic bite. Best deal is trying to help any conservation efforts you can get in contact with. That's the way to really appreciate it.

What puzzles me is, in spite of "This place's ecosystem being ravaged by overdemand and the quest to feed hungry bellies." why don't they shoot and eat the local pigeon population which infests both town and country? Are they inedible or something ? Is there a law against it? Pigeon pie used to be quite popular in the UK. And wouldn't pigeons pass as "local pheasants" just as well as crows? It would help rid the land of this most tiresome pest. "Many animals that werre abundant just 20-30 yrs ago are very hard to come by these days." How I wish that were true of pigeons.

I get the whole wild game thing, but..... I'd take it easy around here on it. The whole country if not SE Asia in general. This whole place has been depleted because of unregulated hunting and poaching. Ask any hilltriber that actually lives up there (seen any deer or pangolin lately ?!!). You'd most likely be contributing to what is a serious problem.... in pursuit of being more in touch with nature and an exotic bite. Best deal is trying to help any conservation efforts you can get in contact with. That's the way to really appreciate it.

What puzzles me is, in spite of "This place's ecosystem being ravaged by overdemand and the quest to feed hungry bellies." why don't they shoot and eat the local pigeon population which infests both town and country? Are they inedible or something ? Is there a law against it? Pigeon pie used to be quite popular in the UK. And wouldn't pigeons pass as "local pheasants" just as well as crows? It would help rid the land of this most tiresome pest. "Many animals that werre abundant just 20-30 yrs ago are very hard to come by these days." How I wish that were true of pigeons.

I would say the same with the doves I see all around the place where I live. In the USA doves are considered a game bird and have a season in many states. They are also good eating only thing is you need quite a few to make a meal. However in the part of Isaan I live in as well the doves are scarce as the Thais kill and eat anything there that moves.

As one who'd rather a wild animal be shot with a camera opposed to a gun I have to admit I have eaten many different kinds of game in S.E. Asia, often while in the jungle. I agree that bat is not very good to put it mildly. I was wondering is the "crow" toucal the large black bird with brown wings I see all over the place?