The Fake Leo Beer

jan1van1hooten

the logos for "Leo" beer differ.

the real one has a leopard's head below the name "LEO" But the name is clearly visible.

in the other one, the leopard's head is moved up, so that it hides the lower part of the "E" Thus the name is really 'LFO"

In America, this would be called trademark or copyright infringement, or both.

Edited by jan1van1hooten

I am not seeing a fake. I seem to be seeing a bottle and a can. Different logos used due to space availability? Anyways I am sure that the owners of the trademark for Leo (Singha) would be all over it if there were in fact fakes going around.

I never really worked out why the brand 'Leo' has a leopard anyway, surely Leo is a lion :)

'cos the Thais can't say 'pard' properly.... so they just used the first three letters.

the only word thai,s they say properry ,

is munnee..peese.. :jap: LOL

Fake would be counterfeit. Manufacturers change their labels all the time, and sometimes even have imperfect labels (printing errors, etc.). As a lawyer, I worked on a case involving 60,000 cases of counterfeit Heineken that was being distributed in Hawaii. The Heineken had been manufactured by a counterfeiter in the Philippines. In the end, I had to witness the destruction of the beer at a garbage dump. Quite a smell when all those beer bottles were run over by tractors.

• 11 months later...

I agree, both read LEO, not one LFO. The OP has definitely been on the slops if he sees differently, but having said that, the two labels are vastly different in other ways..

I also agree with the comment that a fake LEO, any fake, could only be an improvement the real LEO. That is a cr*p drop!!

I recall sitting on the verandah of my room at P Guest House in Sangklaburi a couple of years back and leaving a full bottle of LEO after taking one sip. it was that bad

Edited by F4UCorsair

OP wrote - In America, this would be called trademark or copyright infringement, or both.

In America, whether fake or real, the contents would be horse piss :whistling:

There are plenty of good beers in America nowadays. Somone does not have a clue. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ulysses G.

OP wrote - In America, this would be called trademark or copyright infringement, or both.

There are plenty of good beers in America nowadays. Somone does not have a clue. :rolleyes:

Oregon especially has some great beers :thumbsup:

beerlabels.com-01682.jpg

Depends on your definition of good.......... Good beer in America - is it Canadian?:D

Depends on your definition of good.......... Good beer in America - is it Canadian?:D

Most Canadian beer is garbage too. Aside from the newer West Coast and Maritime breweries, it's mostly tasteless fizz that only tastes good when compared to the worst of the American beers.

Go to Vancouver Island or Nova Scotia for the good stuff.

Most Canadian beer is garbage too. Aside from the newer West Coast and Maritime breweries, it's mostly tasteless fizz that only tastes good when compared to the worst of the American beers.

Totally agree. Lived in the Pacific Northwest for 30+ years and those microbrew boys have really started to get it together.:rolleyes:

Totally agree. Lived in the Pacific Northwest for 30+ years and those microbrew boys have really started to get it together.:rolleyes:

Often wondered if a micro brewery could be successful in Thailand...............

I never really worked out why the brand 'Leo' has a leopard anyway, surely Leo is a lion :)

Is that a bit like Nazis are just farangs wearing cool garb?

Just when you thought the only safe stuff to drink when out is bottled beer, and now they even fake that. Land of Fakes?

Edited by MaiChai