Thai Keyboard

jonny48

Just purchase an extenal USB Keboard ( arround 300- 500 BHT) and plug in. You need to install the Thai languague for your operating system. WIndows 2000, XP,Vista, Win 7. I am doing just this in windows 7 as i don't like using the laptop keboard all the time. My girfiends daugther is a Uni here in Bangkok and speak little english she uses it all the time when she comes to my place.

I'll add my thanks also - posters just saved me 15,000 baht as I was about to replace my own UK laptop, junk the perfectly working old one and also buy another new desktop for our adopted Thai daughter who (so far) speaks little English. She said she wanted a laptop so she will be happy to have my old one (that's an instruction, not an observation!).

I assume you have to go to a big city IT bazaar like Panthip to get stick-overs?

Do the stick-overs cope with the fact that ampersand is differently located between the two language keyboards?

Edited by SantiSuk

I'll add my thanks also - posters just saved me 15,000 baht as I was about to replace my own UK laptop, junk the perfectly working old one and also buy another new desktop for our adopted Thai daughter who (so far) speaks little English. She said she wanted a laptop so she will be happy to have my old one (that's an instruction, not an observation!).

I assume you have to go to a big city IT bazaar like Panthip to get stick-overs?

Do the stick-overs cope with the fact that ampersand is differently located between the two language keyboards?

Stickers should be available in most computer shops.

Switch the language from English (United Kingdom) to English (United States) and the ampersand switches to the 2 key which is where it normally appears on a Thai keyboard. However I am not sure how you type the ampersand in the Thai language as I can't see a key for it (unless Thais use the Thai numeral 1 instead of an ampersand ie ๑ instead of @ ?)

I'm not sure what you mean by the 'ampersand is differently located".

• The Thai keyboard layout does not have an ampersand.
  • The Thai/English keyboards use the same English layout as the English-United States layout.
  • The OP mentioned the laptop was brought from England.
  • The ampersand "&" is located in the same position ( [shift] [7] ) on the UK and US keyboards.

Thai Keyboard Layout:

US Keyboard Layout:

UK Keyboard Layout:

However, the stickers are based upon the English-United States keyboard layouts, not any of the other English keyboard layouts.