Harry Potter In Ubon - Soundtrack

elwood

For any Ubonites who enjoy Harry Potter films, Major Cineplex at SK (Ying Charoen) Plaza, has four showings daily in English. Wonder of Wonders!

Hope that it's successful, then maybe, just maybe, Major Cineplex will begin to show soundtrack films regularly; so take the wife and mother-in-law too, and boost sales!

By the way, zilch soundtrack showings at Nevada.

Elwood

• 7 months later...

Yes, I wasn't too surprised to find that, despite around 50 showings per day, not one soundtrack viewing was available!

Just a faint hope -- maybe during the second week there will be? This happened once with a popular movie a couple of years ago, cannot remember which one. Hard to believe that there isn't any profit in showing it in English, with the fair amount of expats in the area.

Elwood

I cannot imagine there are enough expats in the area that actually would attend the movies to make it viable like elwood said however having said that the manager of City Mall assured me that their new complex which must be getting close to completion will be showing a lot of movies in English so one can still hope!

I cannot imagine there are enough expats in the area that actually would attend the movies to make it viable like elwood said however having said that the manager of City Mall assured me that their new complex which must be getting close to completion will be showing a lot of movies in English so one can still hope!

Unfortunately, there is usually some difference between what is said and what happens............

Unfortunately, there is usually some difference between what is said and what happens............

When SK first opened, I asked the powers-that-be there, when it was an RS cinema, about soundtrack showings; I was assured that they would start to show them after the first couple of months!

But I will join MeMock in still hoping.

MeMock - regarding whether or not there would be enough expats to justify showings; I see your point, but wonder if they would attract more expats if soundtrack showings were advertised prominently and were shown more often?

Only 1 of 4 entrances at Ying Charoen has a decent billboard, and it's a pain to go up to the 3rd floor on a usually fruitless mission, especially as I am around 45 years older than most of Ying Charoen's customers , and I feel like Stonehenge Man walking past all those kids (well, kids compared to my age).

Elwood

Elwood

bergen has a point of course but like Elwood said, all is lost if we cannot even hope!

Also agree with elwood about the lack of advertising (in English, in western areas) about movies but I guess when you are the 'odd one out' you usually have to search out things that you like.

I also know some Thai locals who like to go to English sound track movies as they obviously flow better but their English is already quite good and they want to improve it even more. I would assume that there would be enough business (just) to handle one movie, once a day in English (rotating say every week or two) but not much more then that.

Let see what Sunee end up doing when they get it all up and running.

Oh and by the way - Elwood you are not that old!

Edited by MeMock

bergen has a point of course but like Elwood said, all is lost if we cannot even hope!

Also agree with elwood about the lack of advertising (in English, in western areas) about movies but I guess when you are the 'odd one out' you usually have to search out things that you like.

I also know some Thai locals who like to go to English sound track movies as they obviously flow better but their English is already quite good and they want to improve it even more. I would assume that there would be enough business (just) to handle one movie, once a day in English (rotating say every week or two) but not much more then that.

Let see what Sunee end up doing when they get it all up and running.

Oh and by the way - Elwood you are not that old!

I AM old!! But then again, I can still appreciate the gorgeous-looking uni girls that frequent the place! It's just the noise, with all the karaoke booths full of young kids, many in school uniform, that gets to me.

When I lived in Pattaya I knew of many Thais, including my wife, who preferred soundtrack movies, even some Thais with fairly limited English. The voice is an important part of an actor's appeal after all, and the ladies preferred Brad Pitt without a Thai accent!

Elwood

Took another look today, just in case someone had taken pity on us since Chris checked.

Still no Harry Potter of course - BUT, we can pay to see Dylan Dog: Dead of Night in Soundtrack. How about that!

Checked the internet, apparently it has been one of the biggest flops of the year. I'm almost certain that some smart Alec at Nevada is taking the pee!cool.gif