Any Ideas Of A Good Gift From The Usa For A Thai Woman?

jsflynn603

I'm visiting Thailand next week. I'd like to bring a gift to a female friend who hinted that she'd like something from America--not something expensive, rather something well, "American."

I got to thinking--what does America make these days that cannot be purchased in Thailand. Even Levi's are probably cheaper (though maybe they are knock-offs). America makes military drones, but one is too large to fit in carry-on luggage (I'm not checking any bags--just carry on, so it must be small and light.

Thais don't like American jewelry (14kt is seemingly scorned); clothing and fashion items are better purchased there--so does anyone have any ideas for a "quintessentially American" gift that I can bring--perhaps $50 or less?

I'm not sure about carry-on rules, but liquids are forbidden.

Any serious ideas, especially from the women here would be appreciated.

Thanks

Name brand makeup (Estee, Clinique, etc.) Find out what type of stuff she uses/likes. Maybe not exactly 'quintessentially American', but prices in the US for this type of stuff are less than half of the cost in Bangkok. Her friends will be jealous. This is the one thing that I am *required* to bring back every time I come from the US.

QFT

this is mandatory for every visit i get from the states. clinique and obsession in particular. these things might be available in bkk (not samui however) but the girls want the real deal from america and not the possibility of a knock off in thailand. i see girlfriends keeping the boxes and bottles long after the product is finished. strength of the baht is nice right now too as i was able to get an extra xmas gift or two from the states this year.

Levis are like gold in LOS

I dont really know why because the Thai jeans look pretty good to me but....

if you know her size they do like them a lot. Super Low or hip hugger style cut style not the bulky standard ones.

True gold in 14k is junk compared to 23k in LOS

But diamonds are well liked & a small pendant is always good. ;)

Other than that....where do you hail from? No need to tell but just think some things from certain locales are well liked.

Edited by flying

Name brand makeup (Estee, Clinique, etc.)  Find out what type of stuff she uses/likes.  Maybe not exactly 'quintessentially American', but prices in the US for this type of stuff are less than half of the cost in Bangkok.  Her friends will be jealous.  This is the one thing that I am *required* to bring back every time I come from the US.

QFT

this is mandatory for every visit i get from the states.  clinique and obsession in particular. these things might be available in bkk (not samui however) but the girls want the real deal from america and not the possibility of a knock off in thailand. i see girlfriends keeping the boxes and bottles long after the product is finished. strength of the baht is nice right now too as i was able to get an extra xmas gift or two from the states this year.

And I will chime in to say this is exactly right.  You can do no wrong if you follow this advice.

I'm not sure about carry-on rules, but liquids are forbidden.

3 oz/100 ml is OK in carry-on, but with perfume/cosmetics it sometimes better to buy this on the plane or in transit.

Given the global economy I can't think of a lot of things which a Thai woman would recognize as "American" (forgetting about Brad Pitt for the moment) that you can't get anywhere. Perhaps knowing your friend you can figure out what she is looking for? You can get Levis anywhere, and sizing can be challenging. I'm stumped, but then I brought back nice towels, actually made in the U.S., as gifts for family friends last month.

Edited by lomatopo

When my wife goes back with me to the states, she ends up buying around 20lbs of assorted candies to give to everyone when we come back.

Hershey miniatures, Jolly ranchers, Jelly beans,miniature Peanut butter cups, butter fingers, nestle crunches etc...

If I remember correctly, the biggest hits with her friends were the Jolly Ranchers

Last time was during Easter season and the time before that was during the Christmas season, so she had a field day both times....

I think the most useful gift would be a high quality multiplug surge protector (i.e. an APC surge protector). I have read many expats complain of the quality of the ones they find locally available. But this would be an extremely unromantic gift. So I recommend:

if you live a the west coast of the USA, I would consider See's candies. To me, the very modestly priced See's are in many way more enjoyable than Godiva's.

if you live on the eastern USA, I would consider Frango mints .... those are just so good.

It used to be, if I packed chocolates in my luggage, they would be melted by the time my bags would get to me at Don Muang. But now, my bags get to me quickly and at room temperature and Swampy. So when I bring chocolate they are fine now.

Baseball bat ... but stand back once you've given it to her.

But seriously I have always found that genuine sports clothing from a brand leading team - whether it be baseball, basketball, football, proper football, etc goes down well in any country with men or women. My favourite gifts have been from the shops of Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool, Real Madrid (but boring colour - their brand consultants need firing), Boca Juniors ( a particular favourite), Yankees, Dodgers, Steelers (great strong colours), Nicks etc. I used to give them as business gifts and contacts were always intrigued when you asked them their relevant size beforehand. I used to enjoy going to the grounds and picking up a supply, but now you can get everything on the net.

It has to be the real McCoy - never give copy shirts as presents.

Edit: don't give golfing clothing, certainly not to a girl - boring boring (ok that's my prejudice showing).

Edited by SantiSuk

Disney or Paul Frank or other 'designer' clothing like they sell in Robinson for 2x the price -- I have been told NOT to bring make-up from the USA as the formulations are not right for Thai skin -- you can also buy knock-off formulations of real perfume (Georgio, Chanel) that are not so expensive that putting them in the check bag is OK.

Edited by jazzbo

- I have been told NOT to bring make-up from the USA as the formulations are not right for Thai skin -- you can also buy knock-off formulations of real perfume (Georgio, Chanel) that are not so expensive that putting them in the check bag is OK.

I have been to the US with six different Thai women (married women and single), and every single one of them loaded up on the make-up. I have also been given shopping lists from other Thai women which included me bringing them back make-up. On my last trip, I was given almost $3000 to buy a specific brand of it. So I am not sure who would say not to get it.

Other things which were usually bought include vitamins, EmercenC, artichoke hearts, chocolate, and intimate toys (mostly for women with whom I had no intimate relationship--once the embarrassment of asking was over, or if the husband did th asking, they were excited to put down their wish list.)

I should specify that when I write "make-up," that includes all the things in the cosmetics department to include skin cleaners/cream and even perfume for one specific friend.

Almost all of the things I have seen bought by Thai women in the US or I have had to buy were for casual friends, no one in any sort of special relationship.

my thai girlfriends, their mothers/sisters/cousins etc. all have a field day trying to figure out what each of the products i bring back are. their favorite day of the year i think, especially when they can clearly identify multiple steps in the cleansing, clearing, lotioning wrinkle removing process.

the more steps you give them the better. 3 steps i'd consider mandatory but if you can add additional steps with specific eye creams, wrinkle potions etc, you will be sure to get some thank you very bigs.

Please. Thais like to eat. Stay away from clothing and/or make up unless you know her intimately. Getting her size/tastes wrong can only lead to disappointment.

If she eats sweet things, then an exclusive box of sweetmeats(includes chocolates). Don't know of any such American brands though. Do you just eat rubbish over there? ;)

Please don't buy rubbish such as Hersheys. That's just insulting. Look for something handmade.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

from post #14 So I am not sure who would say not to get (make-up). Well obviously six different women from yours ... When was the last time you saw 'whitening formula' advertised in the USA? Perfume is OK ... but real Chanel No. 5?? Then again you posted elsewhere you bring back 100 kilos or so of salami and cheese, etc. so I will not try to mimic your shopping list.

Easy..:) America has made so many products which are good qualities,

although some can be found in Thailand, but the prices here are ridiculous expensive..

What I will recommend you:-

- Bath & Body Works's products - Lotions, Skincare.. toiletery stuffs.. this brand not yet sold in here, but well-known among Thais.

- Victoria Secrets, Pink's products - not the lingerie, but they also have nightwear, toileteries, etc. Don't buy her bras, you don't know her sizes.

- Krispy Kreme:lol: - if you can carry! this Doughnut brand has just come to Thailand about few months ago, and it is soooo..popular here until it's got the longggg queqe to buy it.. Ridiculous really, just a doughnut!!

- I will disagree to buy all Cosmetics and Purfume products since it is too complicate, you must know the color and number of products she will need first, wrong colors can be disappointment more. So better not buy her.

- Chocolate, Candies.. any kind which made in USA.. this souvenir is very neutral, as some in here said Thais love to eat. Jelly Beans.. once have in Thailand but too much expensive..

- if you want something more expensive, can buy "Coach", may be small bag, tote, wallets.. B) go buy at the outlets if you can, much..much cheaper.

- I prefer Tiffany :) , small jewelries, no diamond.. can be. a little more expensive.

- Blackberry, iPhone :D because I like having one but I know you won't buy her this, too complicate!

Wish you good luck!!