Pope says condom use acceptable 'in certain cases'

News_Editor

Pope says condom use acceptable 'in certain cases'

2010-11-21 00:50:16 GMT+7 (ICT)

VATICAN CITY (BNO NEWS) -- Pope Benedict XVI, in a book due out Tuesday, said that condom use is acceptable "in certain cases, where the intention is to reduce the risk of infection."

Condoms "can nevertheless be a first step on the way to another, more humane sexuality," Benedict said in the book "Light of the World: The Pope, the Church and the Signs of the Times."

In excerpts published in the Vatican newspaper, Pope Benedict cites the example of the use of condoms by male prostitutes to fight AIDS, but said condoms are not a moral solution for them.

The Vatican has prohibited the use of any form of contraception other than abstinence.

In March 2009, Benedict even said that the fight against HIV can't be solved "with the distribution of condoms". He said, on a visit to AIDS-ravaged Africa, that "on the contrary, it increases the problem."

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2010-11-21

He must be talking about using them during the abuse of kids, they are well known for their expertise at that.

yep, unfortunaely, there is no credibility, to his statements related to sexual behaviour.

Theologically the reason the church bans condom use is that they interfere with the process of conception. Therefore there is no reason why condoms cannot be used for non-procreative purposes such as keeping water out of rifle barrels, water bombs and shagging choirboys.

I am not a churchy type and think there is plenty to criticize about all religions, including the Catholic church. However, I sincerely think that priest-altar/choir boy "jokes" have really gotten out of hand in the world (and by reflection, here). Even at the worse of this, only a small percentage of priests were involved in these crimes, and now it seems all Catholic priests are painted with that brush. It is really unfair to a group of people who even if you aren't a believer or admirer of the church, are trying to do what at least they feel is good work (or at least did when they signed up).

It was not only the little boys they were in to. The church has provided cover for all sorts of moral crimes. Then they ask for money when they ask for money to add to the billions. They are by and large a disgrace.

I am not a churchy type and think there is plenty to criticize about all religions, including the Catholic church. However, I sincerely think that priest-altar/choir boy "jokes" have really gotten out of hand in the world (and by reflection, here). Even at the worse of this, only a small percentage of priests were involved in these crimes, and now it seems all Catholic priests are painted with that brush. It is really unfair to a group of people who even if you aren't a believer or admirer of the church, are trying to do what at least they feel is good work (or at least did when they signed up).

Went to a Catholic High school in oz in mid 70's, the Phys-ed teacher just loved to check up on the boys in the shower.......

Sorry, but I disagree, although you make a valid point. The condom issue is just another example of how the Church has caused the untold suffering and deaths of people. The Church's legacy with residential schools in Canada left a legacy of hundreds of millions of dollars of compensation to be paid by Canadian taxpayers, many of whom were not Catholic, and a destroyed generation of first nations people. The abuses in those facilites were covered up for decades. The Catholic Church wasn't alone in that mess as the Anglican and United Churches were willing participants.) Perhaps if the Church had not protected the abusive priests and not transferred them around the dioceses in an attempt to cover up, people would not be so angry. Rome led the led the fight against abortion access, condoms and birth control for decades dooming generations of women to poverty. Unfortunately, the products of the schools where these views were promoted have often gone on to apply such views on the populations they rule. A classic case is Robert Mugabe. He was a product of a strict Jesuit upbringing and education. I'm not blaming the Church for all the damage the man has done, but his views on birth control, AIDS, condom availability and sexual issues is right out of the Vatican's play book. Africa needs condoms. South America, especially Brazil needs condoms. These are two areas where the Church's teachings are strongest and by coincidence where HIV is still spreading. It is high time the Church dealt with a moral crisis of its own making.

The majority of them seem to be guilty of conspiring to hide the crimes away from the public's view and the police...so...

OK. I am not really comfortable playing the role of defending the Catholic church anyway. I was just looking at this from the human point of view. If you were a priest and you were innocent, it wouldn't be much fun for people to make nasty assumptions about you just for wearing a collar.

All Catholic priests are pedos just as all Muslims are terrorists.

I love the post above that refers to the Church causing the suffering and death of people then goes on to say they led the fight against abortion. Some, many, would call the later saving lives. (personally, I'm pro-choice)

Edited by koheesti

The majority of them seem to be guilty of conspiring to hide the crimes away from the public's view and the police...so...

OK. I am not really comfortable playing the role of defending the Catholic church anyway. I was just looking at this from the human point of view. If you were a priest and you were innocent, it wouldn't be much fun for people to make nasty assumptions about you just for wearing a collar.

I suppose that there are Catholics and there are catholics.

The ones I knew as a lad on Prince Edward Island were, by and large, pure as the driven snow. They'd kid and fib at you all day long but if any told a lie, everyone on the Island would get wind of it. They were fiercely faithful, a result of religious persecution at the hands of the Crown I do suspect (think Islam).

Then there's this catholic guy in Thailand (from USA) in whose presence one must not use his God's name in vain. Whereupon he's off to Nana followed by a visit to the confessional booth. Is that faith or hypocrisy?

Sweeping generalizations are to be avoided.

The use of condoms was prohibited by the Catholic church by a rather strange interpretation of the 'Thou shalt not Kill' commandment.

As in preventing a child from being conceived, was viewed as a very early abortion or murdering a potential child.

Clearly the Churches previous application of this commandment to the use of condoms between males would be insanity as no child could ever be conceived by two males having sex.

The use of a condom by two males having sex has never been against any church rules, use of a condom between males would be entirely appropriate in ALL CASES.

A condom on a male having sex with another male is not contraception.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is clearly insane.

Then there's this catholic guy in Thailand (from USA) in whose presence one must not use his God's name in vain. Whereupon he's off to Nana followed by a visit to the confessional booth. Is that faith or hypocrisy?

As long as he isn't married and doesn't wear a condom (if with a woman) ........ he isn't breaking any rules!

Edited by sarahsbloke

The use of condoms was prohibited by the Catholic church by a rather strange interpretation of the 'Thou shalt not Kill' commandment.

As in preventing a child from being conceived, was viewed as a very early abortion or murdering a potential child.

That may be the reason given, however, it is more obvious that using condoms prevents the birth of more Catholics.

Honestly, even masturbation is a sin according to the Catholic Church. There are a whole bunch more rules than just the ones written down in the commandments. All sex must be for the purpose of having children, and then only between husband and wife. Anything else is considered immoral. So sex between men is always wrong, although it is interesting that condom use may be technically legal in that scenario.

Not sure what the specifics of this are actually going to be. I am very curious to hear the details on when it is to be allowed. Whatever is said, it will be guaranteed to set off a firestorm among some of the more conservative members of the church.

There is never supposed to be a reason to have sex except for procreation. It is not a recreational activity in the eyes of the church. If you have HIV, and you are worried about parenting an infected child, the solution is to be celibate full stop. This is truly going to be a radical decision. I can't imagine when they are going to allow it. If I had to guess, I suspect it is going to be something along the lines of "if you are already committing a greater sin (e.g. homosexuality, visiting a prostitute, etc.) then God will forgive you for your condom discretions, but you are still damned to hel_l.

A spent force, though I have met many priests that gave their lives to helping the helpless. Truly impressive people, but they had no part in cover-ups, done by the higher-ups.

That said, a young Catholic kid meets very many priests, brothers & nuns during his upbringing, and it only takes one abuser to cause enormous harm. In my case, it was a Christian Brother.

My philosophy is along the lines of 'sin is what you get if you'r lucky, if not, you get to live a life of unparalleled purity'. Presumably you then do not need condoms.

Edited by fridgemagnet

I've seen first hand the damage caused by the lunatic rantings of the catholic church. Is it human nature to ignore the abstinense bit and just carry on bonking like bunnys without protection? What I find more alarming is why so many people and the media give any credit to the distructive sewerage that oozes out of the vatican.:angry:

It was not only the little boys they were in to. The church has provided cover for all sorts of moral crimes. Then they ask for money when they ask for money to add to the billions. They are by and large a disgrace.

Yeah it's been done to death but this is really correct. It's not acceptable to say "Oh look I'm a good priest, I am not a paedophile or personally involved in all the various crimes committed by the Church and then covered up" - a 'good' priest would probably stop being a Catholic priest. You understand the hypocrisy of continuing to be a Catholic priest and distancing yourself from the whole history of human suffering the Church has been directly responsible for, right?

For me, if you don't denounce and continue to support...hey, you're culpable. Simple.

I was just looking at this from the human point of view. If you were a priest and you were innocent, it wouldn't be much fun for people to make nasty assumptions about you just for wearing a collar.

Cry me a river.

The nasty assumptions are valid as long as you refuse to take the collar off.

No. It's Genesis 37:8-10 relating to "spilling seed".

8 And Judah said unto Onan, Go in unto thy brother's wife, and marry her, and raise up seed to thy brother.

9 And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother.

10 And the thing which he did displeased the LORD: wherefore he slew him also.

The Pope is just worried about the LORD slewing a whole bunch of heathens, is all. Bless his Holiness. Personally, I think they should take their chances. I haven't heard of a lot of slewing going on. Hard to imagine Durex and Ansell staying in business if every time someone used a condom, the Lord slew them also. Not much repeat business, that's for sure.

Faster than a ball of flaming bitumen, the Catholic Church screeches into the Fifteenth Century.

Yup.

Faster than a ball of flaming bitumen, the Catholic Church screeches into the Fifteenth Century.

Yeah but still a few hundred years ahead of the Muslim religion, this thread will be closed soon and i will be banned......again!!

but much better is

I dont know why we chase after a meaning in life or some "wonderful creator" it just "is" forget any superstitious claptrap

Edited by travelmann

The use of a condom by two males having sex has never been against any church rules, use of a condom between males would be entirely appropriate in ALL CASES.

A condom on a male having sex with another male is not contraception.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is clearly insane.

Sorry but I'm afraid you don't understand the 'rules'. To be fair, I just learned this particular rule moments ago on the Catholic.com forum

Having sex that is not for procreative purposes = an abomination. That includes masturbation, homosexuality, homosexuality with a condom (there isn't a difference), protected sex. All are "spilling seed".

What I'm interested in, is what if you're shooting blanks? I guess all sex for you is an abomination.