Drowning Off Lamai?

I was eating on the beach in Lamai near Sea Breeze and noticed a swimmer out farther than I thought was a good idea. It wasn't really that far -- hard to judge distances on the water, but I'd say about 300 meters. I watched him and could only see his head and I thought,"Is that a coconut?" and looked more carefully and saw his shoulders. Mostly he seemed to be just drifting or slow-stroking.

As I ate, I would occasionally take a look out to sea and noticed this guy getting farther and farther out. There was a small group of fishing boats anchored pretty far out, I'd guess a kilometer or more. I thought, "Surely he's not thinking of trying to swim out to the boats."

Eventually I started to become concerned as he was now about as far out as the boats, but had drifted far to the south of them. I pointed this out to the wait staff at the restaurant and they said, "He's swimming; he'll be okay." No one seemed concerned that a swimmer was out what looked to be at least a kilometer.

Finally I went down to the nearest jetski guys and pointed this guy out -- by now it was very hard find him on the horizon -- he was really far out. I said that one of them might want to zip out there and see if this guy is in trouble. The jet ski guy saw the very faint dot of a head and looked slightly interested, but said that he'd just watch him. I said if he disappears, it would be too late. He didn't want to go out.

I walked back down the beach and the jet ski guys had not moved. I could no longer find the bobbing head, it was just to far out to sea.

I am pretty sure that whoever this was, he'd gone so far out that getting back would be very, very difficult. And I am not sure what the currents are like out there, but I have the uneasy feeling that I saw someone swim to his death.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not sure I understand the reasons for this post.

You believe you witnessed someone perhaps in difficulty, and now fear they may have drowned. You asked some notoriously helpful jet-ski guys and some waiting staff (who probably can't even swim) to do something, all of whom just shrugged it off.

And you did the same?

It was an unusual situation. I thought it merited discussion. I am not sure I understand what your criteria is for starting a thread on an open forum. Or do you think, "Where to find barber," is as deep as it goes? Please advise.

It occurred to me later that I should have given him 100 baht and told him to run out there, but I got the feeling at the time that he didn't want to go at all.

As for renting the jet ski, yes, I also thought about that later, but at the time my thinking was this: "I am doing my duty by pointing out to someone who has a jet ski (I have never been on one in my life) that someone might need help. I felt like I was shifting the burden to him -- if he didn't want to do anything then that's up to him, at least I did what I could to avert a disaster."

On the other hand, I did wonder if it was possible that a) the guy was actually some incredible swimmer and was doing this on purpose. I did look for any signs of him raising his arms to try to draw attention from the beach, which is what you'd expect if someone was in trouble, but that never happened while I was watching. Or B ) the guy was trying to commit suicide, in which case perhaps he didn't want to be saved.

Indeed an unusual situation.

Sadly I suspect most of us here are painfully aware that waiting staff are hardly likely to dive into the sea Pamela Anderson style to rescue him. The hotel itself may put out a flag - so long as it does not interfere with the number of guests buying drinks from their loungers. Jet ski guys won't do anything unless the note it is written on is red and has 100 on it. This is not some patrolled beach. There isn't a waiting boat idling ready to catch unsuspecting surfers.

After the event you did indeed consider taking some action, but would that have been in time if there was an actual emergency?

I sincerely hope the guy is down Green Mango right now having a feer beers and a bop.

So, I guess the only meaningful discussion we could have is .....

Did you have a nice lunch?

Indeed an unusual situation.

Sadly I suspect most of us here are painfully aware that waiting staff are hardly likely to dive into the sea Pamela Anderson style to rescue him. The hotel itself may put out a flag - so long as it does not interfere with the number of guests buying drinks from their loungers. Jet ski guys won't do anything unless the note it is written on is red and has 100 on it. This is not some patrolled beach. There isn't a waiting boat idling ready to catch unsuspecting surfers.

After the event you did indeed consider taking some action, but would that have been in time if there was an actual emergency?

I sincerely hope the guy is down Green Mango right now having a feer beers and a bop.

So, I guess the only meaningful discussion we could have is .....

Did you have a nice lunch?

Yeah.... and is there any decent barbers around when you finished it?

have u ever driven a motor bike before ?

bit of advice for u. if the sea is flat then it is easier.

i am sure if u wanted to get out to see u could have got there some how. why did u not rent the jet ski for full price and sit on the back and ask the jet ski man to drive out and back.

i think by simple telling some local working people is not really doing much at all to help. it sounds like a way of passing the blame.

let me get it straight. u were the only person that beleived he was in trouble. the other people did not. so why would they help.

are u sure it was a man ? did the jet ski look through their binoculars.

sorry but if u really wanted to help then if u just tell a local waitress and another jet ski man and u were satifiied that u had done all that u can then. if i get lost out there then u will not be the only 1 to stop me,

why not cal the emergency services

It could of been a crazy russian, ive seen some them swim very far out (to the size of a coconut as you put it) but they always return eventually - i watched lone swimmer take 40 minutes to get back to shore - it was practically pitch black by time he swam up.

Looks like nothing was reported so I wouldnt worry, just ignore the gods on this forums, despite their condemnation of your approach they'd probably act the same if they ever ventured out to the beach. Raising the alarm unnecessarily would just cost you an arm and a leg. The beach people probably see it everyday hence their lax attitude.

Edited by beerian

It could of been a crazy russian, ive seen some them swim very far out (to the size of a coconut as you put it) but they always return eventually - i watched lone swimmer take 40 minutes to get back to shore - it was practically pitch black by time he swam up.

Looks like nothing was reported so I wouldnt worry, just ignore the gods on this forums, despite their condemnation of your approach they'd probably act the same if they ever ventured out to the beach. Raising the alarm unnecessarily would just cost you an arm and a leg.

The beach people probably see it everyday hence their lax attitude.

100% correct.

There are no professional beach guards and if a guy, swimming relaxed far out, is taking risks, it's his own judgement and the commerical guys possibly can't watch all the tourists all day. That doesn't mean I don't hate those jetskis...

If the OP had the idea the guy was drowning than he could have rented a ski-jet himself but obviously the man was a very good swimmer and he decided not to do so.

Some 20 years ago I almost drowned myself, trying to rescue a young Thai boy on Chaweng beach; what I didn't know or realize (1st time on Samui just after the airport opened) was, that it was full moon and close to 6.00PM and the ocean was pulling real hard....it was a horrible story, but in the end I managed to save the guy but was taken by the ocean currents myself after I managed to bring him chestdeep onshore.

Only because another Thai guy was so clever to form a line of 15-20 other people, holdings hands, and a buoy, without a rope attached to it....I'm able to tell this story...

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

It was an unusual situation. I thought it merited discussion. I am not sure I understand what your criteria is for starting a thread on an open forum. Or do you think, "Where to find barber," is as deep as it goes? Please advise.

It occurred to me later that I should have given him 100 baht and told him to run out there, but I got the feeling at the time that he didn't want to go at all.

As for renting the jet ski, yes, I also thought about that later, but at the time my thinking was this: "I am doing my duty by pointing out to someone who has a jet ski (I have never been on one in my life) that someone might need help. I felt like I was shifting the burden to him -- if he didn't want to do anything then that's up to him, at least I did what I could to avert a disaster."

On the other hand, I did wonder if it was possible that a) the guy was actually some incredible swimmer and was doing this on purpose. I did look for any signs of him raising his arms to try to draw attention from the beach, which is what you'd expect if someone was in trouble, but that never happened while I was watching. Or B) the guy was trying to commit suicide, in which case perhaps he didn't want to be saved.

:( I think you are right, Last year there was an Irish girl attempting suicide by drowning and picked up by a passing rental yacht off Chaweng. The rescuer received a mouthful of abuse for his efforts and the next day the girl's body was found off Chong Mon. Even a 10 year old will raise his arm if he wants assistance !

There are strong and very dangerous undercurrents as the monsoon change direction from North East to East and further. Mostly not this month, but January and February. People drowned 25 to 100 meters away from the beach year by year.

Without proper training in in water rescue going to the assistance of somebody in trouble can cost you your own life. If I was in your place I would have given the jetski guy a couple of hundred baht to go out and ask the guy in the water if he was OK ? I'm sure that if he was in trouble he would have made it worth the jetski guys trouble. Also when people are in trouble they tend to panic and as such they wave their arms around a lot. it sounds to me he was just after a good swim. :o

You believe you witnessed someone perhaps in difficulty, and now fear they may have drowned. You asked some notoriously helpful jet-ski guys and some waiting staff (who probably can't even swim) to do something, all of whom just shrugged it off.

And you did the same?

Exactly my thoughts if so concerned why not rent the jet ski yourself and check it out? May have likely been money well spent eh? Hope you're wrong and it wasn't a drowning in progress or now missing persons I'd hate to live with that kind of guilt on my conscience.. Not a very PRO-active person are you?

On the other hand, I did wonder if it was possible that a) the guy was actually some incredible swimmer and was doing this on purpose. I did look for any signs of him raising his arms to try to draw attention from the beach, which is what you'd expect if someone was in trouble, but that never happened while I was watching. Or B ) the guy was trying to commit suicide, in which case perhaps he didn't want to be saved.

Of course he didn't want to go at all, there was nothing in it for him in his mind only lost gas potentially and gas is expensive these days. But 100b :mellow: ? You couldn't fork up a bit more then that for someones life?? I don't know of any Thai that would give up a chance to take a paid for ride on one of their jet ski's plus making 500b and that would have been well invested.. You have to be trolling?

I just read the rest of your post and now I know you're trolling, at least I hope so :( ...

And you did the same?

Exactly my thoughts if so concerned why not rent the jet ski yourself and check it out? May have likely been money well spent eh? Hope you're wrong and it wasn't a drowning in progress or now missing persons I'd hate to live with that kind of guilt on my conscience.. Not a very PRO-active person are you?

Another ill thought out and unpleasant post warpspeed. true to form as i remember. Who the hel_l are you to be judge and jury over the OP's actions or lack of?

i am sure if u wanted to get out to see u could have got there some how. why did u not rent the jet ski for full price and sit on the back and ask the jet ski man to drive out and back.

Another thinking idea..

i think by simple telling some local working people is not really doing much at all to help. it sounds like a way of passing the blame.

He already admits doing this....

let me get it straight. u were the only person that beleived he was in trouble. the other people did not. so why would they help.

Too much applied logic...

Raising the alarm unnecessarily would just cost you an arm and a leg.

Now there's as good a reason as any not to take action! :rolleyes:

Drownings you mean? That'd I'd have to agree with :(:rolleyes: ..............

And you did the same?

Another ill thought out and unpleasant post warpspeed. true to form as i remember. Who the hel_l are you to be judge and jury over the OP's actions or lack of?

The only thing "ill thought out" is your response and his lack of action in the matter. Unpleasant was spot on, it's very unpleasant to read such lack of initiative being taken when someones life may be in harms way..

Who the hel_l am I ? I'm a human being that values life of other human beings and has compassion. Who the hel_l are you to question that??? Clearly your recollection is failing you concerning my past posts or you've limited yourself to only the ones you find disagreeable...

JFYI if the OP didn't want to be judged on his reactions or lack thereof it wouldn't be really wise to post it on a public forum..

Also quite ironic that you quoted us both and my response was merely in agreement with his and yet you singled me out?? Bucking for a fight are you??

Edited by WarpSpeed

Looks like nothing was reported so I wouldnt worry, just ignore the gods on this forums, despite their condemnation of your approach they'd probably act the same if they ever ventured out to the beach. Raising the alarm unnecessarily would just cost you an arm and a leg.

100% correct.

There are no professional beach guards and if a guy, swimming relaxed far out, is taking risks, it's his own judgement and the commerical guys possibly can't watch all the tourists all day. That doesn't mean I don't hate those jetskis...

If the OP had the idea the guy was drowning than he could have rented a ski-jet himself but obviously the man was a very good swimmer and he decided not to do so.

Some 20 years ago I almost drowned myself, trying to rescue a young Thai boy on Chaweng beach; what I didn't know or realize (1st time on Samui just after the airport opened) was, that it was full moon and close to 6.00PM and the ocean was pulling real hard....it was a horrible story, but in the end I managed to save the guy but was taken by the ocean currents myself after I managed to bring him chestdeep onshore.

Only because another Thai guy was so clever to form a line of 15-20 other people, holdings hands, and a buoy, without a rope attached to it....I'm able to tell this story...

LaoPo

But..................... You are! Good on you! And I'll bet you sleep well at night and hardly ever, if ever second guess your decision on the matter..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Without proper training in in water rescue going to the assistance of somebody in trouble can cost you your own life. If I was in your place I would have given the jetski guy a couple of hundred baht to go out and ask the guy in the water if he was OK ? I'm sure that if he was in trouble he would have made it worth the jetski guys trouble. Also when people are in trouble they tend to panic and as such they wave their arms around a lot. it sounds to me he was just after a good swim. :o

They wave if they have the strength but fighting the currents to just stay head above water may not have allowed for enough strength to do that some people can't swim with just their legs holding them up, speculation is not confirmation..

I agree with what you say about endangering yourself trying to save someone but coming from a similar environment as this myself I've been saved a couple of times and I'm quite a strong swimmer, actually spent most of my life doing so in my line of business and I've also saved a few people myself, but I'm glad the people that saved me didn't worry so much about their own lives or the people I saved since then would have perished too and the children I have now would not exist either.. Something to think about how one action/inaction can mushroom and is not just about that immediate circumstance but a much larger picture...

If you spend a few hours on any beach on Samui you'll find yourself in this situation, are you gonna pay for a jet ski everytime? The russians dont have much common sense, but they are sure are good swimmers, Ive seen this scenario a few times and they all return to shore eventually (the drownings are usually pissed up people or those that cant swim). As someone said there no visible signs of distress, dont worry and leave to the high and mighty on this forum to start their own lifeguard system out of their own pocket, presumably that where they are heading? or is it all talk?

Edited by beerian

For the last five years a small group of farangs have organised a lifesaving service on Chaweng Beach about 200m north of the Centara Hotel. At least three of them are on the beach every day from about 2-6pm during the season (Nov-March) when the sea can swell up to two meters and produce a very strong undertow. They have a large raft, first aid kit, vinegar for jelly fish, and know cpr. They coordinate their efforts with the jetski cowboys when they are around. It might not sound like much, but those who have seen them in action can tell you that they rescue several hundred people each season. One day last year the water was incredibly dangerous and they pulled in approximately sixty people within just a few hours. Even with red flags flying and verbal warnings, people still go in the water.

They wish to remain anonymous, don't want or accept donations, and don't advertise or wish to be interviewed. The only way you will likely meet one of these guys is if you are drowning in their area. My suggestion is that anyone who frequents a particular beach, just take along a float or rescue ring with rope during the season.

As for the original op, we have seen plenty of swimmers go off into the horizon. Those guys are usually pretty experienced swimmers so I wouldn't worry too much about that particular one.

Edited by parallaxtech

Who knows with the price of flights upto BKK these days he might have been swimming away from Samui by choice

On a more serious note i cant believe some people are posting , asking the OP why he didnt do more. Leave the OP alone. He could have just done nothing at least he was asking around trying to make things happen. He did all he could think of at the time. I am willing to bet alot of posters here would have done nothing at all.

Another thinking idea..

He already admits doing this....

Too much applied logic...

anyway the person who wrote the post could have weritten it in a way that would not make him look stupid bu blaming other people.