Thai Ministers Find Ways To Stay In The Limelight

webfact

SPECIAL

Ministers find ways to stay in the limelight

By Kornchanok Raksaseri,

Piyanart Srivalo

The Nation

When the next election will take place is still unknown, but we have seen many election campaign-like advertisements around town. They feature large pictures of ministers from Democrat or coalition parties, sometimes with the picture of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva.

The colour themes used could easily mislead people into thinking that they are political party advertisements.

For example, on the expressway from Bang Na, we see pictures of Public Health Minister Jurin Laksanawisit, Deputy Commerce Minister Alongkorn Pollabutr with the prime minister, and Transport Minister Sopon Saram. In front of many schools, we see banners with pictures of Education Minister Chinnaowrn Boonyakiat. In newspapers, we see Deputy Education Minister Chaiyos Chiramethakorn in advertisements.

Advertisements they certainly are - to promote ministries' policies or projects.

Chinnaworn said the Education Ministry has a responsibility much larger than many other ministries.

"Publicising Education Reform in the Second Decade is very important. We have to make people realise we all have to join hands," Chinnaworn said. He added he did not design the advertisements himself. "To persuade people to join, we have to do it in a conversational style. And as the presenter, I am, at the same time, telling people I am serious about the project," he said.

The Education Ministry's budget this year is Bt388 billion, the most among all the ministries - Bt203.8 billion for personnel, Bt28.5 billion for operational costs, Bt25.8 billion for investment, Bt124.5 billion for subsidisation and Bt5.3 billion for other expenses.

Deputy Interior Minister Thaworn Senneam said it is not the Cabinet's policy to promote its work intensively but it is up to each minister to publicise the work he or she is in charge of.

The minister did not reveal the amount or proportion of public relations and advertising overall for each project , but said it should not exceed 2 per cent of the overall budget.

He said the government does not need to spend too much money on advertising as its activities are usually covered by the media.

Sukhum Chaloeysap of Suan Dusit Rajabhat University said that in the early period of the Abhisit Vejjajiva government, ministers did not promote their work so much. However, as the situation changed, the ministers as well as the prime minister himself promoted themselves more. Some promotion of ministers is done by government officials who want to please their bosses, Sukhum said.

The first reason for the growth in political advertising is that the government has to compete to win support from the public after rifts in society and the political turmoil earlier this year. Second, the election is approaching.

"Earlier they [the ministers] were shy about promoting themselves. But now it has become common. Any minister who doesn't have pictures in advertisements might be seen to be out," Sukhum said.

Sukhum said political marketing was very obvious during former prime minister Thaksin Shinawa-tra's time. Now the Abhisit government is using the same strategy.

"This can give them many benefits over normal election campaigns. In the run-up to an election, politicians can spend a limited budget and have to report to the Election Commission. But they can use the ministry's public relations budget to promote themselves at the same time," Sukhum said.

"Actually the billboards and advertisements can be used positively to declare the ministry's work, provide information showing transparency and allowing examination. But now some advertisements are just propaganda. They don't give anything to people," Sukhum said.

Deputy government spokesman and Chart Thai Pattana spokesman Watchara Kannika said a presenter for advertising should be widely known to the public. But it was reasonable for a minister in charge of the ministry's campaign to be the presenter due to his relevance and credibility.

Some new ministers are not widely known. They might be dubbed "forgotten" as they do not often appear in daily news. Featuring their pictures in a ministry advertisement promotes the ministers and their achievements at the same time, Watchara said.

"I'd like viewers to open their minds or see things with a sense of humour. This is not the era for doing good deeds behind the scenes. If you consider that presenting the picture of the minister in the media is suitable or not, please consider the content of the advertising. If people learn about the policies or direction of the minister's work, that makes sense. But if it's only the picture, that doesn't make sense," Watchara said.

A close aide of a minister whose picture appears on a large billboard seen on an expressway said jokingly, "My boss just imitates other ministers. He fears being forgotten. Poll results recently have indicated my boss is a forgotten minister."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-22

I would suggest that all political advertising be classed as "Ununifyiny" and will bring "Disharmouny" and not aid "Reconcilliation" by the Military Junta.

That may be a joke, but the humour escapes me. If it was serious, you need help - an on-line dictionary would be a good start, for all 4 capitalised terms!

I would suggest that all political advertising be classed as "Ununifyiny" and will bring "Disharmouny" and not aid "Reconcilliation" by the Military Junta.

That may be a joke, but the humour escapes me. If it was serious, you need help - an on-line dictionary would be a good start, for all 4 capitalised terms!

He thinks he is in Burma :D

Interesting the ministers can promote themselves and inform the public of there actions in there behalf. Win Win a Politicians dream come true.B)

Posters are just a part of it.

I was at a wedding with about 1000 guests and the speeches seemed to be going on a bit. I asked and the answer was 'Oh he Government minister want pay respect to couple'. yes and another 20 minutes self promotion. Since then I have got used to these grovelling politicians together with groupies gate crashing private parties and moving through the tables..............

Posters are just a part of it.

I was at a wedding with about 1000 guests and the speeches seemed to be going on a bit. I asked and the answer was 'Oh he Government minister want pay respect to couple'. yes and another 20 minutes self promotion. Since then I have got used to these grovelling politicians together with groupies gate crashing private parties and moving through the tables..............

TIT ;)

This same strategy is used by governments all over the world. There is nothing new here and nothing news worthy.

I disagree with the practice but of course you're right in that it is standard for governments around the world to self-promote in taxpayer funded advertising campaigns.

I question the timing of the attack, which seems to be yet another semi-trivial attack on the Democrats with the obligatory caveat that "of course Thaksin's government did this as well" somewhere in the body of the OpEd. I mean, I agree that it's less-than-ideal and borderline unethical. But of all the issues this country faces...this is the one that this reporter feels the spotlight should be on? hmm.

Okay then.

Just out of interest, is there any objective / pro-government media sources left? I can categorically assure anyone who believes otherwise that The Nation and the Bangkok Post are no longer in that bracket.