Do I Have To Drain The Pool To Change The Lightbulb?

rick99

I have been told by two companies that they want me to drain the pool to change the light bulb. Can this be true??? Are there really companies that do not leave wire to change above the surface?? The lights are from China and are not recessed....they are called JAZZI jl series. Currently they are attached by silicone to the tile.....i cannot see screws....but there appear to be plastic circles where screws should be.

any suggestions????

If i have to drain the pool i want to change all the lights. What is a good brand name with 12volt 100 amp? ps.....could I still use my same wires and transformers if i replace the lights?????

thanks for any help

post-74100-0-52822100-1290497787_thumb.j

No. There will be a light cord behind the light which will allow you to bring it above the water line, change the bulb, reseal the fixture, re wind the cable and put it back into place using the affixing screw. Alas, some companies don't understand this, and do not provide enough cord. Or, they seal the light to the pool using either stainless screws or [god forbid] silicon. In that case, answer to your question is yes and you might want to take a bat to your contractor / pool shop.

You can get away with existing transformers if you use the same bulb watt / voltage. If you change to LED though (recommened - they're cheap now and last forewver and don't leak) you will need to change trannies. We just did 6 new LED lights see picture we added new conduits. Client is thrilled. Even my pool now uses LEDs. They're great.

http://www.thepooldoctorsthailand.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=43

Gil

I'm not a pool expert (I don't even have one) but I'll definitely put in a good word for LED lights. Their massive life and low power consumption make them ideal for the less accessible locations (like the bottom of your pool).

They are now definitely of-age and affordable :)

I'm not a pool expert (I don't even have one) but I'll definitely put in a good word for LED lights. Their massive life and low power consumption make them ideal for the less accessible locations (like the bottom of your pool).

They are now definitely of-age and affordable :)

Good point; I forgot to mention their super low power consumption. I think like 6 or 8 watt or something like that. ALL outdoor lighting going to be LED in the future.

PD has hit it but as well as he cautioned, this is Thailand so expect the worst and unexpected and then be pleasantly surprised if it works out for you and trying to convince those "companies" they're wrong might be a futile effort even if you're right sadly..

thanks everybody. I just found out from the light manufacturer that their installation instructions clearly state that a metre and a half of extra wire should be wound arount the light base.....so just have to unscrew the fixture and raise to the surface. EXCEPT..... my pool company did not leave any extra wire....plus used silicone to attach the light to the tiles......the screw holes remain unused.

Next step?????

They want to put holes in the deck....dig down and add more wire to a new junction box. Is this the best idea?

thanks everybody. I just found out from the light manufacturer that their installation instructions clearly state that a metre and a half of extra wire should be wound arount the light base.....so just have to unscrew the fixture and raise to the surface. EXCEPT..... my pool company did not leave any extra wire....plus used silicone to attach the light to the tiles......the screw holes remain unused.

Next step?????

They want to put holes in the deck....dig down and add more wire to a new junction box. Is this the best idea?

TIT where everything's an afterthought ........ It seems so, do not splice underwater as some companies here try to do thinking they can somehow properly seal the wires especially if your pool is salt water.. Best to install new conduit through the wall with a sealed junction box above it out of the way so it's not trip hazard (against a nearby wall for example) and run it above water level about 10 to 12 inches and run the new wires through it with the extra wire behind the light to allow any future replacement of bulbs and/or light fixtures which is how it should have been done originally..

On second thought are they talking about installing antiquated deck boxes?

That's better then underwater splicing but not much if you have a naked edge pool where the water level is at deck level. They should run the conduit to the side out of the way some where and then bring it up as I suggested. But if they do use deck boxes be certain they seal the wire splice with paraffin wax before filling the pool, meaning filling the entire deck box to the top. That's the only way to properly insulate the wires from moisture off the deck and the water that will come back up through the box and still make it accessible for any future repairs.

Edited by WarpSpeed

A pool company will always suggest the most expensive solutions!

These look like the cheap lights that are on sale in GlobalHouse for around 850 baht. They have obviously been installed by a rogue pool builder who doesnù't have the first inkling of pool construction. In view of the extortionate cost of replacement bulbs, you're probably best off replacing the things with new lights that have the full length of cable to wrap round the back.

You do not need to drain the pool to change bulbs later, but if you a re going to change the lights, at least consider emptying the pool to just below the light units. if you have any probems sourcing new light at very reaosnable prices, or need a walk through how to change them, call or email SiamConsulting, their advice is most times free and they speak English, French, and German.

A pool company will always suggest the most expensive solutions!

These look like the cheap lights that are on sale in GlobalHouse for around 850 baht. They have obviously been installed by a rogue pool builder who doesnù't have the first inkling of pool construction. In view of the extortionate cost of replacement bulbs, you're probably best off replacing the things with new lights that have the full length of cable to wrap round the back.

You do not need to drain the pool to change bulbs later, but if you a re going to change the lights, at least consider emptying the pool to just below the light units. if you have any probems sourcing new light at very reaosnable prices, or need a walk through how to change them, call or email SiamConsulting, their advice is most times free and they speak English, French, and German.

Pure rubbish.... So how does he replace the current lights with short cords that no doubt have been sealed into the concrete with no way to pull new ones? As you said the company that built the pool "has no inkling of pool construction"..

I am not a professional pool expert

but I know a swimming pool in India

where I saw a man replacing faulty bulbs underwater

during the day while people were swimming around him.

He explained to me that the system was low voltage and fed through

an isolating transformer.

The electricity was even switched on and the other bulbs were working.

I think that low voltage/low current electricity

does not flow through water much.

Sounds like a tall story until you witness it.

I survived swimming in that pool at that time.

• 3 weeks later...

LED lamps are certainly much lower power @ 0.2 watts each,

they do not require new transformers, just a matching resistor typically 470 Ohms for 12v and if you pay 1B each you are being ripped off

you need more of them, but they are cheap,

the most expensive part would be a marine grade silicon to seal them in

as for 100 Amp lamps LED's are about 0.02Amps