American Football

ChuckZ

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great games. But, um, if Peyton Manning goes down in history as the guy who lost the Super Bowl to Rex freakin Grossman...

After the Sugar Bowl they asked JaMarcus Russell whether he was happy to beat Brady Quinn. He responded saying he was happy to beat ND's defense, and that he was not playing against Quinn. Manning will be playing against the Bear's defense, a formidable task for any QB. The Colts beat the Ravens, another defense oriented team, so the SB should be a close game.

Sorry Patsfangr. Personally, I just hate it when the game is decided by the last team that has the ball with a reasonable time left. This type of game never proves who was better. If they played again, it still would be a toss up, but the Colts get to go to the SB. Still, getting knocked out this way is better than your QB dropping an easy snap for a winning field goal as us Cowboy fans have to remember this season by.

Great games. But, um, if Peyton Manning goes down in history as the guy who lost the Super Bowl to Rex freakin Grossman...

Hopefully, Calico, from your mouth (or keyboard) to God's ears (or eyes)! :-)

I confess that I can't STAND Peyton Manning! I don't know how many on this forum have spent much time in the USA during the past few years. I just moved here in April of last year. So let me tell you that the media has fawned over Peyton Manning like he's Jesus Christ! Watching and reading the media, you'd think that it was Manning, and not Tom Brady, who had won THREE Super Bowls, and set numerous Playoff records.

When you watched TV regularly in the USA, you'd see Peyton Manning in about 10% of the commercials run - MORE during NFL games!

Add to this my disdain for the whole, arrogant Manning family, and I absolutely HATE to face the likelihood that the Colts will win the SB this year! That disdain comes from the situation with Eli Manning. How arrogant do you have to be to decide that you are so ###### good that you can, despite the "spirit of the rules" of the NFL, decide who you want to play for, and kick the San Diego Chargers in the groin! I hope that Eli never has one successful year in the NFL. I also hope ... against hope ... that Peyton Manning somehow manages to lose against Rex freakin' Grossman! (But I sure as hel_l can't see that happening.) :-(

I confess that I can't STAND Peyton Manning! I don't know how many on this forum have spent much time in the USA during the past few years. I just moved here in April of last year. So let me tell you that the media has fawned over Peyton Manning like he's Jesus Christ! Watching and reading the media, you'd think that it was Manning, and not Tom Brady, who had won THREE Super Bowls, and set numerous Playoff records.

Pats

If I had to choose between Brady and Manning , I would choose Brady every time. And as much as I don't like the manning family with the way they handled the draft of Eli. I have to say Peyton is probably going to be remembered as One of the best QB's that ever played and managed the game.

I am holding out hope that Peyton gets injured enough to stop him from starting every game. The Iron man award goess to Brett Farve and I hope it stays there.

PKG

Maybe the Bellicheck-Brady Pats will be remembered as a great NFL dynasty [ they are!], maybe not. But no one can ever say they did not produce the most exciting playoff games in NFL history over the past 6 years!

Win or lose, always exciting down-to-the-wire football.

I live in the Ubon area, and am wanting to watch the Super Bowl game. Does anyone know the time and date it will be shown on local broadcast TV. I don't have UBC yet. Thanks for info.

February 5, 2007, kick-off ~ 06:20 (AM/morning) on ESPN, halftime show features Prince, no commercials shown.

05/02/2007

ESPN(39)

Start Time Program Title

02:05 Super Bowl Xxxvi Highlights 07036 : NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS VS. ST. LOUIS RAMS

02:30 Super Bowl Xxxvii Highlights 07037 : TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS VS. OAKLAND RAIDERS

03:00 Super Bowl Xxxviii Highlights 07038 : NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS VS. CAROLINA PANTHERS

03:30 Super Bowl Xxxix Highlights 07039 : NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS VS. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

04:00 Super Bowl Xl Highlights 07040 : PITTSBURGH STEELERS VS. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

04:30 Road To The Superbowl ROAD TO THE SUPERBOWL

06:00 Super Bowl XLI SUPER BOWL XLI

I live in the Ubon area, and am wanting to watch the Super Bowl game. Does anyone know the time and date it will be shown on local broadcast TV. I don't have UBC yet. Thanks for info.

While nothing is 100% certain, for many, many years, Thai TV has had the game on live. Check on your TV at approx. 6Am that morning and you should find it, although it may be in Thai. If you don't find it at 6AM, don't give up. Thai TV normally picks these things up exactly at kickoff, so if kickoff is 6:10AM or something like that, it will come on then.

I'm thinking Bears. The reason is that Groosman doesn't need to play a great game against the Colts for the Bears to win, but Manning does in order to score against the Bears' great defense. I know that the Colts O-line has worn down teams in the playoffs, but the Bears D-line doesn't get worn down. Hence, the Colts will find it difficult to run and Manning will not be given a lot of time to pass. Also, both kickers kick well under pressure, so no Colts advantage here.

Bottom line, the Bears are solid while the Colts defense has holes.

While nothing is 100% certain, for many, many years, Thai TV has had the game on live. Check on your TV at approx. 6Am that morning and you should find it, although it may be in Thai. If you don't find it at 6AM, don't give up. Thai TV normally picks these things up exactly at kickoff, so if kickoff is 6:10AM or something like that, it will come on then.

I found some posts from last year that said that the Superbowl game was definitely on Channel 7. Maybe someone can find it on their website?

Personally I'd have a back-up plan. Maybe find a local hotel that has satellite service and check-in?

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations to the city of Indianapolis (first major sports championship?, Pacers/ABA exlcuded), the great state of Indiana, the Colts, Tony Dungy and his staff (more firsts?) and Peyton Manning on a great season. Also congrat to the Bears and their fans. I wish it could have been a more interesting game but what can you do?

When is week 1? Sep 6 - 10?

I found some posts from last year that said that the Superbowl game was definitely on Channel 7. Maybe someone can find it on their website?

Personally I'd have a back-up plan. Maybe find a local hotel that has satellite service and check-in?

During the game I periodically scanned through the Thai channels and didn't see the SB on. Was it not televised this year by Thai TV?

The Bears run defense was a huge disappointment. The Colts ran at will.

PRE-GAME ENGRAVING!

DISCLAIMER:

I did not watch the Super Bowl. As a Patriots fan, I did not have the stomach to

watch the certain victory for the media and league darling.

Therefore, I can't comment on the actual "flow of the game",

or the specific impact of plays during critical drives or situations.

I may, therefore, be way off-base with what I am about to

say. I certainly admit that I am prejudiced against Peyton Manning, and

immeasurably irritated by the media's fawning over his every move.

Nevertheless, I present the following question and opinion.

----------------------------------------------------------

Would any other QB who had given the same performance as Peyton Manning in

that game have been handed the MVP Award? I don't think so.

I didn't see the game. But I do see the numbers. I see that Manning:

- Threw for less than 300 yards, completing a total of two, that's TWO passes for longer than 20 yards. (And one of those was a short pass that Harrison's YAC turned into 22 yards.)

- Threw ONE TD and one interception.

- Fumbled the ball away once. (Had near perfect protection, fumbling the ONLY time he was sacked.)

- Had an average starting field position of the IND 42 yard line, in 14 possessions; and managed FIVE offensive scores, for 22 offensive points.

- Started in Chicago territory 3 times (NOT including the final "time killer"), and failed to score.

- Ended 7 drives from First Downs in Chicago territory, 5 of them inside the 25 yard line,

with 1 TD (rushing by Rhodes), 3 FGs, 1 missed FG, and 2 Punts!

That's 15 points (missed XP by Vinatieri!) out of FIVE chances inside the 25 yard line!

THAT is "MVP" performance?! Give me a break! Only if "MVP" stands for "Most Promoted Player"!!

By any standard of NFL QBs that I've ever seen, that has to be considered a very mediocre performance, at best!

Meanwhile:

- Dominick Rhodes churned out 113 yards rushing, and scored a TD.

- Joseph Addai added 77 yards rushing, and caught 10 of Manning's "dink and dunk" passes for 66 yards.

It seems to me that either Rhodes, Addai, or both of them (shared) deserved the MVP Award.

It was their running, and the Colts defense against the horribly incompetent Rex Grossman, that won the game for the Colts.

There is nothing in the numbers to indicate that Manning did anything even remotely worthy of an MVP Award in that game.

If you saw the game, and you think I'm wrong, tell me why.

But, as far as I'm concerned, that MVP Trophy was engraved with Peyton's name long before this game even started. They've had the ###### thing in storage since "The Annointed One" was drafted! The league has done everything possible to set him up for this "Magic Moment", including change the rules for illegal contact to favor his receivers following the Patriots' win over them a couple of years ago. If the Colts had lost this one, no doubt Bill Polian would have insisted on a rule change requiring all future games to be played in domes, because the weather was too difficult for his boy to excel.

The incredible insistence by the media and the NFL to make Manning a demigod is absolutely disgusting!

DISCLAIMER:

I did not watch the Super Bowl.

If you saw the game you might have a different opinion? The weather was absolutely dreadful, torrential downpours. 25 of 38 for 247 yards and a touchdown pass is nothing to sneeze at in that weather, plus he was calling nearly all the plays at the line. He made some great passes under pressure and kept a great defense off-balance.

QB's have been Superbowl MVP's 21 out of 41 times so it shouldn't be all that shocking?

Tom Brady was the MVP in Superbowl 36 completing 16 of 27 passes for 145 yards and 1 TD. If I hadn't watched that game I might not have voted for Tom Brady for MVP? But I did, and I would have.

You gotta' watch the games.

I also checked broadcast TV here in Bangkok (via UBC cable) and did not see the game on any of those Thai channels, just ESPN.

Edited by lomatopo

It's been suggested that we give the MVP trophy to Rex Grossman because he gave more points to the Colts than anybody.

But more seriously, for those who didn't see the game, there was no MVP. Maybe Addai if he hadn't been pulled in the third. Even Viniateri choked. It was rainy, miserable, and I guess you give it to the "leader" of the team that won when you have nothing better to do. Manning was about as MVP as Trent Dilfer, but mai ben rai.

It was an excellent game for the first 3+ quarters, and then it became Pro Football Blog fodder after that, which is also entertaining in a way. Even though Florio's not a Prince fan. Prince WAS the show. Give him the MVP trophy. Hey, that's it. I realized while replying to you guys, so thanks.

Super Bowl MVP -- Prince!

DISCLAIMER:

I did not watch the Super Bowl.

If you saw the game you might have a different opinion? The weather was absolutely dreadful, torrential downpours. 25 of 38 for 247 yards and a touchdown pass is nothing to sneeze at in that weather, plus he was calling nearly all the plays at the line. He made some great passes under pressure and kept a great defense off-balance.

QB's have been Superbowl MVP's 21 out of 41 times so it shouldn't be all that shocking?

Tom Brady was the MVP in Superbowl 36 completing 16 of 27 passes for 145 yards and 1 TD. If I hadn't watched that game I might not have voted for Tom Brady for MVP? But I did, and I would have.

You gotta' watch the games.

I also checked broadcast TV here in Bangkok (via UBC cable) and did not see the game on any of those Thai channels, just ESPN.

I'm a Pats fan and have nothing against Manning, but do hate the press fawning that he's gotten over the last 5 or 6 years. I think you both have a point. Manning wasn't actually that sharp, but then the QB does manage the blocking schemes, etc. at the line, so his input helped his own cause in keeping the pressure off of him. You knew going in that unless somebody else on the Colts literally walked on water that Manning was getting the MVP with a Colts win. Unfortunately Addai and Rhodes "split" the real MVP stats between them enough to allow the MVP to go to Manning, in a way that Brady got it those times without anybody on the Pats putting up an individual astronomical display. I almost feel like filing an emotional debilitation lawsuit against Lovie Smith for playing Rex Grossman. Unless you saw the game, you have no idea how Div IAA he looked. If they didn't have so many three and outs, he could have been good for 6 picks. The offense's ineptitude kept the Bears D on the field so long that they looked worse than the Pats' flu riddled D in the 4th quarter 2 weeks ago. All of this made Manning look a lot better than he played. Big raves about the long ball to R. Wayne. <deleted>? Manning lofted the ball to a WFO (wide f'in open) receiver, off target. Wayne was so open he made a good adjustment on the ball, waited for it and then waltzed in. I could have put that ball up, blown coverage by the safety to the max.

Edited by calibanjr.

I'm a Pats fan ...

I could be wrong but I think most New Englanders have no problems acknowledging, and even rooting for, a superior opponent, as they proceed in the playoffs. As a life-long Massachusetts resident, other than the last three years living here in Thailand, I am a hard-core Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics and Bruins fan. The Colts beat the Patriots twice this year so I wanted them to win the Superbowl. For some reason I don't dislike Peyton Manning? I doubt Tom Brady dislikes him? I doubt Bill Belichick dislikes him? I suspect they respect him.

I will always remember being at the old Boston Garden, a long time season ticket holder (for the Celts and Sox) for the 1982 NBA Conference Finals, Game 7 Celts vs. Sixers. As the clock wound down and the Sixers closed out the Celtics everyone chanted "Beat L.A., Beat L.A." as a compliment to the Sixers as they would face, but ultimately lose to, the Lakers.

But maybe we get a little whacko when it comes to the evil empire aka the New York Yankees?

I'm a Pats fan ...

I could be wrong but I think most New Englanders have no problems acknowledging, and even rooting for, a superior opponent, as they proceed in the playoffs. As a life-long Massachusetts resident, other than the last three years living here in Thailand, I am a hard-core Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics and Bruins fan. The Colts beat the Patriots twice this year so I wanted them to win the Superbowl. For some reason I don't dislike Peyton Manning? I doubt Tom Brady dislikes him? I doubt Bill Belichick dislikes him? I suspect they respect him.

I will always remember being at the old Boston Garden, a long time season ticket holder (for the Celts and Sox) for the 1982 NBA Conference Finals, Game 7 Celts vs. Sixers. As the clock wound down and the Sixers closed out the Celtics everyone chanted "Beat L.A., Beat L.A." as a compliment to the Sixers as they would face, but ultimately lose to, the Lakers.

But maybe we get a little whacko when it comes to the evil empire aka the New York Yankees?

I wanted the Colts to win so I could say the Cowboys beat the SB champs the only time they faced them this year. I know this is lame, but it helps to forget "The Drop." I still like Romo, but think he was nervous and fumbled the placement. The last few games when winning really mattered (home field advantage), he played nervous. That is where experience helps, and at the time he didn't have any.

Big raves about the long ball to R. Wayne. <deleted>? Manning lofted the ball to a WFO (wide f'in open) receiver, off target. Wayne was so open he made a good adjustment on the ball, waited for it and then waltzed in. I could have put that ball up, blown coverage by the safety to the max.

You failed to mention he had a defensive player's arm wrapped around his waist and had to throw without stepping.

Personally, I would have made Adai and Rhodes co-MVPs.

PRE-GAME ENGRAVING!

DISCLAIMER:

I did not watch the Super Bowl. As a Patriots fan, I did not have the stomach to

watch the certain victory for the media and league darling.

Therefore, I can't comment on the actual "flow of the game",

or the specific impact of plays during critical drives or situations.

I may, therefore, be way off-base with what I am about to

say. I certainly admit that I am prejudiced against Peyton Manning, and

immeasurably irritated by the media's fawning over his every move.

Nevertheless, I present the following question and opinion.

----------------------------------------------------------

Would any other QB who had given the same performance as Peyton Manning in

that game have been handed the MVP Award? I don't think so.

I didn't see the game. But I do see the numbers. I see that Manning:

- Threw for less than 300 yards, completing a total of two, that's TWO passes for longer than 20 yards. (And one of those was a short pass that Harrison's YAC turned into 22 yards.)

- Threw ONE TD and one interception.

- Fumbled the ball away once. (Had near perfect protection, fumbling the ONLY time he was sacked.)

- Had an average starting field position of the IND 42 yard line, in 14 possessions; and managed FIVE offensive scores, for 22 offensive points.

- Started in Chicago territory 3 times (NOT including the final "time killer"), and failed to score.

- Ended 7 drives from First Downs in Chicago territory, 5 of them inside the 25 yard line,

with 1 TD (rushing by Rhodes), 3 FGs, 1 missed FG, and 2 Punts!

That's 15 points (missed XP by Vinatieri!) out of FIVE chances inside the 25 yard line!

THAT is "MVP" performance?! Give me a break! Only if "MVP" stands for "Most Promoted Player"!!

By any standard of NFL QBs that I've ever seen, that has to be considered a very mediocre performance, at best!

Meanwhile:

- Dominick Rhodes churned out 113 yards rushing, and scored a TD.

- Joseph Addai added 77 yards rushing, and caught 10 of Manning's "dink and dunk" passes for 66 yards.

It seems to me that either Rhodes, Addai, or both of them (shared) deserved the MVP Award.

It was their running, and the Colts defense against the horribly incompetent Rex Grossman, that won the game for the Colts.

There is nothing in the numbers to indicate that Manning did anything even remotely worthy of an MVP Award in that game.

But, as far as I'm concerned, that MVP Trophy was engraved with Peyton's name long before this game even started. They've had the ###### thing in storage since "The Annointed One" was drafted! The league has done everything possible to set him up for this "Magic Moment", including change the rules for illegal contact to favor his receivers following the Patriots' win over them a couple of years ago. If the Colts had lost this one, no doubt Bill Polian would have insisted on a rule change requiring all future games to be played in domes, because the weather was too difficult for his boy to excel.

The incredible insistence by the media and the NFL to make Manning a demigod is absolutely disgusting!

I concur, I watched the whole game and I thought Addai would take the MVP. If Grossman had put up the same numbers for the Bears in a victory, I doubt he would have gotten the MVP award.

I definitely do not like the way the Manning's are adored. Not saying I disrespect them or their family history, but come on people! Put Peyton on a team with a more inferior O-line and see what numbers he squeezes out.

I definitely do not like the way the Manning's are adored. Not saying I disrespect them or their family history, but come on people! Put Peyton on a team with a more inferior O-line and see what numbers he squeezes out.

As a former offensive lineman, I could not possibly agree more.

In fact, in any kind of thing where people have to work together, usually the "star" twit slurps up all the credit while those who put him there are left out of the spotlight AND the money.

I could rant on, but I won't.

In fact, in any kind of thing where people have to work together, usually the "star" twit slurps up all the credit while those who put him there are left out of the spotlight AND the money.

I'm a former QB myself and have a great deal of respect for Manning's abilities, but if they'd lost the Super Bowl, don't you think he would've thrown his offensive line under the bus again?

No need to rant on, you already did.

Frankly I'm shocked that, given your experience, you would have such strong negative feelings about the importance of teamwork and the sport. I can guarantee that the Colts offensive line loves Peyton Manning. And every QB takes care of his offensisive lineman. Calling him a twit who slurps up the credit is just downright idiotic. No one on his team would agree with such a comment. Not a single NFL player would agree with such a comment.

Why would I want to put Peyton Manning on a team with an inferior offensive line? Do I want to lose games? What a f*cking moronic comment. I think the object is to assemble the best possible team and to win games. Yes?

It is really strange how people's hatred, envy and jealousy can cloud their judgement.

Why would I want to put Peyton Manning on a team with an inferior offensive line? Do I want to lose games? What a f*cking moronic comment. I think the object is to assemble the best possible team and to win games. Yes?

`

It was comparison and contrast, not an actual suggestion. It had nothing to do with "how to assemble a team".

I'll try to dumb it down for you from now on.

didnt mean to go over your head on that one......