American Football

ChuckZ

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOW 'BOUT THOSE REDSKINS?!

Man, does that team suck, or what? Jason Campbell may learn how to play QB in the NFL. But, at this point, he's not qualified to be on the field against NFL defenses. NO pocket awareness at all! Panics when he finally does realize there are defenders near him! Throws when he shouldn't & holds the ball when he should throw! Just terrrible!

As for the coaches, why the hel* do you go for it on 4th and goal when you need THREE scores to win?! IDIOTS!!

Well, considering my opinion of their jerk owner, it couldn't happen to a more deserving team!

And OMR, the Cardinals upset of the Giants, who have NOT proven they're a good team this year, sets up a big game in Philly next week! I'll have to pull the all-nighter (AGAIN!) to watch that one.

Speaking of which, don't forget that Daylight Savings Time ENDS next weekend; at 2 AM Sunday in the USA - 2 PM Sunday here. That means that the game times move BACK an hour. First game will now start at 1 AM. Second game starts at 4:15 AM. The good news? The Monday Night game starts here at 8:30 Tuesday morning. One more note. There's no Sunday Night game next week. So we can hit the sack after the Eagles beat the Giants! (I can't stand EITHER Manning!!)

HOW 'BOUT THOSE REDSKINS?!

Man, does that team suck, or what? Jason Campbell may learn how to play QB in the NFL. But, at this point, he's not qualified to be on the field against NFL defenses. NO pocket awareness at all! Panics when he finally does realize there are defenders near him! Throws when he shouldn't & holds the ball when he should throw! Just terrrible!

As for the coaches, why the hel* do you go for it on 4th and goal when you need THREE scores to win?! IDIOTS!!

Well, considering my opinion of their jerk owner, it couldn't happen to a more deserving team!

And OMR, the Cardinals upset of the Giants, who have NOT proven they're a good team this year, sets up a big game in Philly next week! I'll have to pull the all-nighter (AGAIN!) to watch that one.

Speaking of which, don't forget that Daylight Savings Time ENDS next weekend; at 2 AM Sunday in the USA - 2 PM Sunday here. That means that the game times move BACK an hour. First game will now start at 1 AM. Second game starts at 4:15 AM. The good news? The Monday Night game starts here at 8:30 Tuesday morning. One more note. There's no Sunday Night game next week. So we can hit the sack after the Eagles beat the Giants! (I can't stand EITHER Manning!!)

Campbell is bad, but there is always Russell to make him look good by comparison.

It does look like the NFC East is up for grabs and I am surprised about this. Although the Giants beat the Cowboys by 2 in the last 5 seconds of the game, I thought that was just an off performance by the Giants. Maybe they aren't' that good this year. Also, the Eagles don't look as strong this year either. Their defense has had injuries and the Raiders killed their offensive line. The Redskins are, well, you saw. Frankly, it is a toss up this year, but whoever gets into the playoffs will have a tough time against the Saints, Vikings or Packers.

Thanks for the heads up on Daylight Savings Time.

coming to Thailand next week, I've heard it's harder to get NFL games on TV now, is that true. Anyone know which carrier (satellite, UBC, true) carries them, better yet which hotels in BKK around nana and Pattaya might have it?

Actually, it's easier than before. ASN channel is now part of True/UBC's Silver and Platinum packages, and shows the major nationally televised games each week live, which means between about 1 and 7 am on Monday mornings. Then the Sunday night game later Monday morning, and the Monday night game in Thailand on Tuesday morning... They then repeat the various games over the next couple days at various times, usually once or twice or more.

The various American oriented pubs aren't usually open for the hours of all those live broadcasts, but they typically are replaying them the next evening or when the taped replays happen to fit with their business hours.

For hotel purposes, you want to make sure they carry ASN from the True lineup, Silver or Platinum package.

I'm told that TrueVisions no longer includes ASN on the Silver package; but ONLY on the Platinum. The inclusion on Silver, a friend told me, was only a promotional offer.

I've had Platinum for years, so I don't know if that's true. Can anyone confirm that?

That's strange and not correct, I think.

1. I have Silver at home, and still am receiving ASN fine... no change.

2. The True web site and lists of packages/channels still shows ASN as part of the Silver package...

Thanks, JF! I'll have to ask my friend where he got his information. I'm glad to hear that it's still in place for Silver subscribers. I have Platinum because, sadly, TV is pretty much my life here. :-) I spend a lot of time watching movies, and other extra channels that the Platinum package provides. But I'm glad that those are not TV addicts, and still want their NFL, can get ASN without the added cost of Platinum.

I've been using the NFL's Game Rewind Season pass (requiring a U.S. IP address) with great success...augmenting ASN's pretty good coverage. I like it, it's worked well, and I'll expect to renew it again for the next season. NFL games on demand, whenever I want and being able to watch any game from the entire season at any time, is pretty cool.

I did find one exception on Tuesday though. During the Monday night game, when ASN cut away from the halftime report as they always seem to do for the live games, I was going to watch the end of another prior Sunday game I had almost finished watching earlier. And I discovered, they do blackout the Game Rewind service entirely during the time any other game is being broadcast live nationally.

So, you can't use Game Rewind to watch other prior NFL games during the Sunday and Monday hours when the live games are being broadcast on national TV. Other than those times, it's ON!!!

And, I just paid $20 U.S. for the playoffs pass for international folks from MLB (Thailand IP OK) which gives live and archival access to all the MLB playoff and World Series games this season. Interestingly, if you try to use their comparable service in the U.S., the live games there are blacked out (because of network TV rules), and you can only watch them online AFTER the live game is over. But here abroad, that blackout rule doesn't apply and you can watch the playoff and world series games live online, with the paid pass.

Sadly, no ESPN on True for us Silver package folks... I'm assuming, ESPN on True is showing the World Series at least, even if, as was the case last year, they didn't show all of the playoff games.

Jason Campbell still throws a mighty pretty spiral. :)

My Panthers are getting so desperate that they might want to see what Jonathan Quinn, Medicine Woman is up to.

The Raiders, on the other hand, really should reconsider ringing up Jeff George.

Don't tell me the outcome of yesterday's Raiders game... I'll watch it in pain later tonight...expecting I know what the outcome will be, but not wanting to ruin the suspense ahead of time.

I must say, as a lifelong Raiders fan and former Oakland CA native, JaMarcus Russell has got to be the worst-performing NFL quarterback I've ever seen in my football-watching lifetime. He MAY have some natural potential...I don't know about that. But out on the field, he looks like an overweight, listless blob. More often than not, he's throwing passes into the ground or over the heads of his receivers, or where no receivers are to be found.

And worst of all, as evidenced by his recent post-game interviews, he just DOESN'T get it at all and doesn't seem to feel any sense of responsibility for his (and thus his team's) terrible performance under his "leadership." All of which makes me think, it's pretty unlikely this worm is ever going to turn into a butterfly.

One of the stupidest things the Raiders have done of late, and that list is pretty darned long, was releasing Jeff Garcia before they had the slightest clue of what kind of a season JM was going to produce. Right now, I'd say, the result is clear.

The Cardinals should have known better than to mess with black cats on Halloween weekend!

I was hoping that the 49ers would hang onto their lead on the Colts; but I really didn't expect it to happen. Still, it's nice to see Singletary transforming them into a competitive team.

I loved watching the Jets fall to the Dolphins again! Good news for my Patriots this week. But it definitely sets up a challenge for them next week, when they have to host the mighty 'Phins in Foxboro.

Meanwhile, the Favrings beat the Packers again. Somebody should check Green Bay to make sure that the town hasn't blown itself up!

Don't tell me the outcome of yesterday's Raiders game... I'll watch it in pain later tonight...expecting I know what the outcome will be, but not wanting to ruin the suspense ahead of time.

I must say, as a lifelong Raiders fan and former Oakland CA native, JaMarcus Russell has got to be the worst-performing NFL quarterback I've ever seen in my football-watching lifetime. He MAY have some natural potential...I don't know about that. But out on the field, he looks like an overweight, listless blob. More often than not, he's throwing passes into the ground or over the heads of his receivers, or where no receivers are to be found.

And worst of all, as evidenced by his recent post-game interviews, he just DOESN'T get it at all and doesn't seem to feel any sense of responsibility for his (and thus his team's) terrible performance under his "leadership." All of which makes me think, it's pretty unlikely this worm is ever going to turn into a butterfly.

One of the stupidest things the Raiders have done of late, and that list is pretty darned long, was releasing Jeff Garcia before they had the slightest clue of what kind of a season JM was going to produce. Right now, I'd say, the result is clear.

JF, you know where the problem is with the Raiders; and it's not behind the center.

Just got back from the States. Haven't watched an entire game since I gave up drinking. Lost my "attention span" I guess!

But, came across an interesting game one Friday night: Lingerie Football

If I could play in that league, there is absolutely no doubt that I'd be flagged repeatedly, if not constantly, for illegal use of hands! And I'm equally certain that I'd be flagged for delay of game, since there would be sooooo much to do in the huddle!

Great Monday night game between New Orleans Saints and Atlanta Falcons. The Saints prevailed in the end and stayed undefeated, but Atlanta gave them all they could handle all night. It went right down to the final play of the game. Some great defense and great offence by both teams. Both teams scored a defensive touchdown; Atlanta's on a fumble by Drew Brees and New Orleans on an iterception they returned for a TD.

Great Monday night game between New Orleans Saints and Atlanta Falcons. The Saints prevailed in the end and stayed undefeated, but Atlanta gave them all they could handle all night. It went right down to the final play of the game. Some great defense and great offence by both teams. Both teams scored a defensive touchdown; Atlanta's on a fumble by Drew Brees and New Orleans on an iterception they returned for a TD.

However (and it's a HUGE "however"), that INT for a TD never should have happened. The officials missed a clear Pass Interference by a Saints LB, who took the intended receiver, White, out of the play with a push, while the ball was in the air. That play should have been a 1st down for the Falcons, on the penalty, rather than a TD for the Saints. There is no way to predict what would have happened after that play. But it had an unfortunately very significant impact on the game at that time.

My hometown kittycats still play like something from the litter box, but I love em anyway.

But how about the Bucs? When I lived there and we lost 26 games in a row, it was because our cheapskate owner had the lowest payroll in the league (by far) and thus no talent. I hear the 0-7 Bucs had the lowest payroll in the league (by far) because the Glazers lost so much to Bernie Madoff, and yet like their 1970s predecessors never quit fighting for the win. Now, with the orange throwbacks on, they've progresed to 1-7. Stuff like that inspires me.

Oh, and yesterday I saw a pickup truck here in Chiang Mai with a decal of Bruce the Buccanneer on the back window. It was authentic, not pirated, please excuse the pun but I couldn't resist. I was wearing a black shirt and silver hair myself, but that was only a coincidence.

My hometown kittycats still play like something from the litter box, but I love em anyway.

But how about the Bucs? When I lived there and we lost 26 games in a row, it was because our cheapskate owner had the lowest payroll in the league (by far) and thus no talent. I hear the 0-7 Bucs had the lowest payroll in the league (by far) because the Glazers lost so much to Bernie Madoff, and yet like their 1970s predecessors never quit fighting for the win. Now, with the orange throwbacks on, they've progresed to 1-7. Stuff like that inspires me.

Oh, and yesterday I saw a pickup truck here in Chiang Mai with a decal of Bruce the Buccanneer on the back window. It was authentic, not pirated, please excuse the pun but I couldn't resist. I was wearing a black shirt and silver hair myself, but that was only a coincidence.

I own a couple of black shirts, but my hair is still holding its' natural brown color. If and when it turns silver, I'll destroy any black shirts I have at the time. I will NEVER be caught wearing silver and black!!

I thought the black cats might carry over their Halloween weekend success. They certainly had the Saints in serious trouble. But that Saints' offense is just too tough to hold down; and their defense came up big when it had to, stopping the great Panthers running game just enough steal the win. Too bad. But the Pathers are nobody's walkover this season. They'll be scratching and clawing at every opponent they face; and will definitely take home some wins before it's over.

My Patriots got the usual scare from the Dolphins. They ALWAYS struggle against them, no matter the relative talents of the teams in any given season. There's a genuinely strong rivalry between these teams that brings out the best in whichever of them is the underdog every year.

Q, it was a great game and one thing is for sure, there is no such thing as home field advantage when these two teams play.

I did think the spot by the officials was wrong, but there were a lot of bad calls and bad spots. Certainly, not calling pass interference on Samuels when he grabbed Williams' arm in the end zone was unbelievable. That led to a 4 point swing when the Cowboys had to settle for a field goal. I can't wait for NFL Access when Mike whatshisname explains how grabbing a receiver in the end zone is not a penalty. This whole zebra crew were horrible.

For downloading NFL torrents, does anyone know a good and free alternative to Ten Yard Torrents?

I really don't want to use them ever again. Thanks.

http://www.myp2pforum.eu/nfl-cfl-afl/46430...-week-10-a.html

If you mean for replays, I can't help you. But, for all live streams of games, I use this one.

Thanks very much for the information and link. I just had the "pleasure" of watching my Team (Dallas Cowboys) lose big time to the Green Bay Packers. But, it was great being able to watch the game live.

Three questions:

1) I kept getting an error message stating that Firefox is not associated with the SOP protocol or something like that. Any idea what that is or how to fix it? It prevented me from opening other links........fortunately one was successful

2) An ad was placed on the screen that I could never remove. Do you just have to live with the Google ad that blocks the view?

3) Can you download entire games at the myp2pforum? I am not sure at this point.

Thanks again.

Hi.........it was about 4:30 am in the morning when I was trying to figure out this new system. I was lucky to get the watch the game. Now I know you have to download some special programs (e.g., Sopcast) to watch the games and get rid of the pesky ads. Thanks again.

For downloading NFL torrents, does anyone know a good and free alternative to Ten Yard Torrents?

I really don't want to use them ever again. Thanks.

http://www.myp2pforum.eu/nfl-cfl-afl/46430...-week-10-a.html

If you mean for replays, I can't help you. But, for all live streams of games, I use this one.

I recorded the Pats/Colts game and have played the Faulk catch over and over and while I never see an angle straight across, from what I do see, it was a first down. The defender hit Faulk immediately and pushed him back and even when he dropped him it was almost a first down. Hence, first contact had to be over the line to gain.

The call in itself was questionable and certainly didn't show much faith in their defense, but to me it was a first down and game over. In every game these days there are more and more crucial calls being missed. It is getting to the point that anybody could do this job as the obvious plays they get (and I could get), but the hard ones that they get paid to see they just don't see.

I recorded the Pats/Colts game and have played the Faulk catch over and over and while I never see an angle straight across, from what I do see, it was a first down. The defender hit Faulk immediately and pushed him back and even when he dropped him it was almost a first down. Hence, first contact had to be over the line to gain.

The call in itself was questionable and certainly didn't show much faith in their defense, but to me it was a first down and game over. In every game these days there are more and more crucial calls being missed. It is getting to the point that anybody could do this job as the obvious plays they get (and I could get), but the hard ones that they get paid to see they just don't see.

As the resident Pats' fan here, OMR, I put this loss squarely on the shoulders of Bill Belichick, not on the officials. The coaching staff woefully mismanaged that series. They were not properly prepared for what they were going to do, in the event that it came to a 4th down play. That is very uncharacteristic of BB, who is usually prepared for almost any eventuality. They wasted TWO time outs during that series. The first was before the failed 3rd down play, when they apparently didn't have the right players on the field for the play that was called. Then, after the 3rd down play failed, they had to call another TO, because there were members of the punt team running on to the field, and some members of the offense running off the field. Clearly the players had not been told that the team would go for it on 4th down, if necessary. VERY poor preparation for the situation by a guy (Belichick) who practically invented the term "situational football".

Now, let's move to the play itself. 1. Why line up in the shotgun, with Faulk immediately shifting to the slot? You tell the Colts that the play will, without question, be a pass. Based on the situation, they could bet the house that it would be a short pass, designed to get just the 2 yards needed for a 1st down. Everybody on the Colts D plays up on the receivers, and they blitz Brady to ensure that it will be a quick throw. The SHOULD have lineed up with Brady under center, and two RBs behind him, leaving a number of options open to them (including a quick Brady sneak, one of their most successful short-yardage plays, if the Colts left the middle soft). They could have gone with that sneak, a power run up the middle, a quick pitch outside, or any of a number of play action short passes. TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE PLAY CALL!

2. It did appear to me that Faulk had the ball bounce off his arms intitially. But it bounced directly into his chest, where he secured it BEFORE he was hit, and driven back. So I agree that it was mis-marked by the official, who was BEHIND Faulk, and should have been a 1st Down. But we can't overlook the fact that the Patriots COULD have challenged that call, and asked for a replay, IF they hadn't WASTED those 2 TOs during the series! The first of those TOs stopped the clock from running down to 2 minutes (in which case the BOOTH would have reviewed that 4th down play). Or, if the Colts had used their last TO to stop the clock before 2 mintues, the Patriots could have challenged the call themselves with that last TO.

Anyway I look at it, Bill Belichick badly mis-managed that series of downs, and cost the Patriots the game. As to why that happened, my theory is that we've had a reversal of "spells" here. During the first few years of the Manning vs. Belichick duels, it was said that BB was in Manning's head. I believe that was true. As the years passed, Manning has become more and more experienced at recognizing defenses and calling plays himself. BB knows this, and now, I believe that Manning is in BB's head. I think BB fears him more than any player or coach in the game; and that is why he went into near panic mode when Manning was shredding his tired defense during that 4th quarter. Belichick BELIEVED that he couldn't stop Manning, and he allowed that to influence his decisions, and to disrupt his attention to detail in failing to prepare the team for what was to be done during that last series.

Look, I've been a Patriots fan since the team was created in 1960; and an NFL fan for several years before that. I KNOW that Bill Belichick is the best coach the Patriots have ever had. I believe that he's among the best coaches in the history of the NFL. But HE BLEW THAT GAME last night! My hope is that he'll sit in the film room, and recognize that fact; do a little self-analysis to understand why; and never let it happen again. He needs to return Manning to the status of "human football player", and play against him accordingly. There's still a very good chance that he'll get an opportunity to do just that in the AFC Championship game; if he hasn't lost his defense with that demostration of lack of confidence in them last night.

Their home game against the Jets next week is absolutely critical for them, despite their current 3-game lead in the AFC East. They need to both secure their grip on that lead, and stay in the fight for the other bye during Wildcard Playoff weekend (the Bengals already have 7 wins, and either the Chargers or Broncos will have 7 after next week). Not to mention the fact that they need it just to get their confidence back.

As the resident Pats' fan here, OMR, I put this loss squarely on the shoulders of Bill Belichick, not on the officials. The coaching staff woefully mismanaged that series. They were not properly prepared for what they were going to do, in the event that it came to a 4th down play. That is very uncharacteristic of BB, who is usually prepared for almost any eventuality. They wasted TWO time outs during that series. The first was before the failed 3rd down play, when they apparently didn't have the right players on the field for the play that was called. Then, after the 3rd down play failed, they had to call another TO, because there were members of the punt team running on to the field, and some members of the offense running off the field. Clearly the players had not been told that the team would go for it on 4th down, if necessary. VERY poor preparation for the situation by a guy (Belichick) who practically invented the term "situational football".

Now, let's move to the play itself. 1. Why line up in the shotgun, with Faulk immediately shifting to the slot? You tell the Colts that the play will, without question, be a pass. Based on the situation, they could bet the house that it would be a short pass, designed to get just the 2 yards needed for a 1st down. Everybody on the Colts D plays up on the receivers, and they blitz Brady to ensure that it will be a quick throw. The SHOULD have lineed up with Brady under center, and two RBs behind him, leaving a number of options open to them (including a quick Brady sneak, one of their most successful short-yardage plays, if the Colts left the middle soft). They could have gone with that sneak, a power run up the middle, a quick pitch outside, or any of a number of play action short passes. TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE PLAY CALL!

2. It did appear to me that Faulk had the ball bounce off his arms intitially. But it bounced directly into his chest, where he secured it BEFORE he was hit, and driven back. So I agree that it was mis-marked by the official, who was BEHIND Faulk, and should have been a 1st Down. But we can't overlook the fact that the Patriots COULD have challenged that call, and asked for a replay, IF they hadn't WASTED those 2 TOs during the series! The first of those TOs stopped the clock from running down to 2 minutes (in which case the BOOTH would have reviewed that 4th down play). Or, if the Colts had used their last TO to stop the clock before 2 mintues, the Patriots could have challenged the call themselves with that last TO.

Anyway I look at it, Bill Belichick badly mis-managed that series of downs, and cost the Patriots the game. As to why that happened, my theory is that we've had a reversal of "spells" here. During the first few years of the Manning vs. Belichick duels, it was said that BB was in Manning's head. I believe that was true. As the years passed, Manning has become more and more experienced at recognizing defenses and calling plays himself. BB knows this, and now, I believe that Manning is in BB's head. I think BB fears him more than any player or coach in the game; and that is why he went into near panic mode when Manning was shredding his tired defense during that 4th quarter. Belichick BELIEVED that he couldn't stop Manning, and he allowed that to influence his decisions, and to disrupt his attention to detail in failing to prepare the team for what was to be done during that last series.

Look, I've been a Patriots fan since the team was created in 1960; and an NFL fan for several years before that. I KNOW that Bill Belichick is the best coach the Patriots have ever had. I believe that he's among the best coaches in the history of the NFL. But HE BLEW THAT GAME last night! My hope is that he'll sit in the film room, and recognize that fact; do a little self-analysis to understand why; and never let it happen again. He needs to return Manning to the status of "human football player", and play against him accordingly. There's still a very good chance that he'll get an opportunity to do just that in the AFC Championship game; if he hasn't lost his defense with that demostration of lack of confidence in them last night.

Their home game against the Jets next week is absolutely critical for them, despite their current 3-game lead in the AFC East. They need to both secure their grip on that lead, and stay in the fight for the other bye during Wildcard Playoff weekend (the Bengals already have 7 wins, and either the Chargers or Broncos will have 7 after next week). Not to mention the fact that they need it just to get their confidence back.

From the Cowboys, I see the same problem as last year, only it was Owens and now it is Austin. Garrett does not want Romo throwing into double coverage and now that Austin is double covered (like Owens last year), Romo is looking elsewhere (Williams). He can't run patterns, he got nudged in the open field and fumbled and on a a big 3rd down in the 4th quarter, Romo's pass went through his hands and hit him in the facemask! I kid you not. The pass hit him in the face.